Vassili - Heartbeat Sensor

(montheponies) #1

Any chance the cool down on the the heart beat sensor could be extended. As is, snipers are chucking these almost constantly. While we’re at it the machine pistol seems to damage like a smg…

(INF3RN0) #2

Longer duration with longer c/d is good for me. That way they are more tactical and less spammable, so destroying them actually matters. With the same thinking I’d think the same ideology could apply to mines requiring a manual arm huehuehue. I still mind the MP less than things like the shotgun or fragger MG, as it does output good damage based on consistent aim- but not to where it becomes a problem.

(chump) #3

This thing really does need a nerf. The radius is too big, the cooldown is too short, the throw distance is too far and on top of that all you get two. On most of the maps you can literally throw it 5-10 ft out of spawn and get some detections on the front line. I think the detections should only be visible for vassili and not a temporary wallhack for the whole team.

(Mustang) #4

Did someone mention Vassili… give this guy a Russian accent already!

(Glottis-3D) #5

agreed - cooldown, radius, throw distance, russian accent - this are the key issues!

(INF3RN0) #6

I don’t want to derail this thread, but I think it brings out something that should be a principle design across all merc abilities. The heart beat sensor provides a valuable advantage, however it is one that can be and should be contestable by the opponent. In this example the sensor nades provide a passive buff (wall hack), but the sensor itself can be destroyed if found. The problem here is obviously that destroying these sensors have too little reward as Vassili can spam them so often.

Having all abilities function in a similar manner, as in firstly only offering opportunity for primarily passive advantage which can be countered by the opponent in some manner is an incredible improvement to the past games in my opinion. If this is the case, then abilities can be treated completely separate from weapons and you will never need intentionally weaker or more powerful weaponry. This is the big flaw of xT’s merc design imho. The evolution of Sawbonez is an example of the right kind of thinking (though it may have a ways more to go). The problem with medpacks was that they offered real-time combat advantage, where as imposing a limit on the ability to be used out of combat effectively balanced out the over-effective use of medpack spam. The gradual changes in medpack functionality was a much better means to balance instead of pushing the weaponry to the point of non-usability. At this point I think the medpacks are nearly in perfect shape, but rather the SMGs could allow for slightly more flexibility and soldiers simply being problematic for everyone (different topic ofc).

So really what I think is best for the sake of consistency is to try and maintain a distinct separation between the balance of weapons and abilities, but of course allowing for them to be used to greater effect in combination. This could only of course work under the condition that abilities were indeed contestable and/or counterable. This would allow for much greater merc flexibility, where in you would never have an imbalanced reliance on weapons or abilities; resulting in weapons that are too easy to use or automated damage abilities that overshadow weaponry. I seriously believe that this is the best difference between parts of xT and past titles, but the consistency has to be there.

(Humate) #7

Theres definitely some cool tactical uses for radar nades, however i would prefer if vassili had a completely different ability.
Perhaps a deployable that gives every character access to EMP nades, or a deployable that gives a player an invis-token they can activate.
The map design is done in such a way, you know the positions players will gravitate to at each stage- you dont need a wallhack.

(Smooth) #8

Agreed on most points, particularly the spammable nature and counters. Will have a discussion about this next week :slight_smile:

(shaftz0r) #9

outside of his ability to spam these almost nonstop, i dont see a huge issue with them in general, but i do think that it speaks to a bigger point, and one that inf has been championing for a while now. counter abilities, whether in nade form or not. we’re had full dedicated threads with ideas for fun nades/deployables that would add another massive element to this game that would appeal to pubbers and comp all-stars alike

(Protekt1) #10

I think it should be more of a line of sight reveal + worth destroying thing. So make it last like 10 seconds, 15 second cooldown. Only marks you while you’re in LOS (and maybe hangs on your for like 2 seconds after leaving LOS) and can be destroyed

(chippy) #11

I liked the way it worked in the alpha. Could be found and destroyed. Keep the duration of the sensor, but increase the cooldown and make it destroyable imo.

(INF3RN0) #12

Another thought here as well is to make the sensors alternatively capturable by a specific merc archetype on the opposing team. Something similar could be done for most everything else in the game as well, which promotes greater play variety and teamwork (already applies to quite a lot of abilities). In the case of say mine/turret heavy strategy, having a recon detect the mines/turrets and then having X class capture them as future assets would be very cool.

Also, I do think that sensor nades should reveal enemy mines, turrets, packs, etc as a primary function with say slower sweeps that detect players. You’d get enough information of what to expect, but not constant real-time info. If this was the case I’d expect the duration to be fairly long as it would be more feasible, especially with opportunity for capture.

(Humate) #13

If the plan is to keep the ability, I would have it so only the sniper has vision of the red targets.

(tokamak) #14

His voice pack needs to make no sense whatsoever.

ETQWlalala also needs to become a character. Some Korean hi-tech girl named ‘Lala’

Actually, what a huge marketing opportunity would it be to take gaming celebrities and turn them into characters and get them to do their own voice packs. You can take famous vloggers, esport athletes or whatever and all get them in on this to tap into all their fanbases.

Oh, and I -still- want Totalbiscuit to become an announcer.

(Protekt1) #15

[QUOTE=tokamak;486951]His voice pack needs to make no sense whatsoever.

ETQWlalala also needs to become a character. Some Korean hi-tech girl named ‘Lala’

Actually, what a huge marketing opportunity would it be to take gaming celebrities and turn them into characters and get them to do their own voice packs. You can take famous vloggers, esport athletes or whatever and all get them in on this to tap into all their fanbases.

Oh, and I -still- want Totalbiscuit to become an announcer.[/QUOTE]

esports athletes lol

If TB becomes an announcer, no… just no.

(tokamak) #16

Purchasable announcer pack.