Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: An Update on Matchmaking and Steam

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

An Update on Matchmaking and Steam

Hi,

I’m Arne-Olav Hallingstad, Lead Programmer on Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer. We realize that we’ve not been very transparent about what we’ve been doing to improve the game, and we’re looking to change that.

Since matchmaking is the most commonly reported issue, I’d like to give you a brief update on what we’ve been doing to improve it. I’ve also got an update on the Steam Connection Dropped issue on the PC.

Xbox 360 & PlayStation 3

Providing a better matchmaking experience is our top priority for the game, and we’ve just pushed out our latest round of tweaks to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game. These are automatically downloaded by the game when you log into multiplayer, so you don’t have to do anything to receive them.

Since matchmaking previously had a tendency to drop players into empty lobbies, we’ve changed the search algorithm to now do seven sweeps before creating a session (previously it was 2).

From our testing during peak hours, these changes have had a significant impact on matchmaking quality so far, with 75% of matchmaking queries ending up in a lobby of 5 or more players, and about half making it into a match with 7 or 8 players.

Of course, what matters most is that you have a great experience finding matches, so please do let us know how you’re finding these latest matchmaking tweaks.

PC

The latest PC update addressed the Steam Connection Dropped error at the end of a match that a number of you had been reporting. We’re still investigating other instances of this error occurring, so if you keep running into it and would like to help us track it down, please drop me a private message.

Thanks for your continued patience as we keep improving Batman: Arkham Origins multiplayer. Please keep your feedback - both good and bad - coming, and we’ll do what we can to address it.
    Last edited by AO; 9th Jan 2014 at 19:42. Reason: added link to pc update

Re: An Update on Matchmaking and Steam

Well I appreciate the update, hopefully these issues will be resolved soon...

The update sounded good, but...

Using the 'Quick Match' feature now causes my PS3 to Hard-Freeze on the 'Searching' screen every time. I'm forced to power-off at the wall socket, and can't play multiplayer at all.

(If it helps with troubleshooting: The 'cursor' on the search screen blinks about 10 times before freezing)

Quote Originally Posted by Bovrillor View Post
    The update sounded good, but...

Using the 'Quick Match' feature now causes my PS3 to Hard-Freeze on the 'Searching' screen every time. I'm forced to power-off at the wall socket, and can't play multiplayer at all.

(If it helps with troubleshooting: The 'cursor' on the search screen blinks about 10 times before freezing)
    I can confirm this as well... but the good news is when I'm put in a lobby its more people rather than being in a lobby by myself

For the 360 version I'm noticing a lot of people dropping in and out of lobbies since this update. Not to mention being unable to connect at all quite often.

Now the latter could just be the game connecting to a lobby that's just been filled but the former is either the solar flare causing havoc or people are being dumped out. Always happens when there's 7 people in the lobby too.

Could be that both issues are directly connected or separate issues. Very laggy too, I'm seeing clones of my self in games too. Which Batman and Robin can abuse.

I did eventually get in some lobbies by coming back an hour later. It's still 50/50 between "lobby with people" and crash/freeze though.

Also, toggling between loadouts in the customisation screen crashes frequently (PS3). I'll edit a loadout, press R1 to go to the next one and... it's frozen.

Between all that, and ragequitting hosts causing the game to end for everyone... MP is still very frustrating.

BTW, Arne-Olav Hallingstad - do you have any communication with the WBM developers? We PS3 players are very eager to have the 'classic' Arkham control scheme re-instated.

There's a huge thread of players begging for it here, and on page 30 of this thread: http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Gene.../false/page/30 I demonstrated how it could be implemented with minimal effort.

We'd very much appreciate an official response to this, as the current 'hero' control scheme is very unweildy.
    Last edited by Bovrillor; 10th Jan 2014 at 12:35.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Thanks for your feedback everyone. We’ll continue to look at the matchmaking data we’re getting and refine it based on that. In the meantime, it would be great if people could keep their feedback coming as well as when you tried to play and from where if you experience issues.

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8

We have tweaked the PS3 matchmaking settings which should help with the hard freeze issue (settings applied upon logging in). Please let us know how you get on.

Not directly related to this particular issue but there's the particularly severe migrating to new session thing. It never goes away so if the host clears off for whatever reason, you're stuck in the lobby or you have to dashboard.

No way to back out from it, or pick loadouts, consumables etc. You can always back out in game but that inconveniences the team you're on.

I created an account so I could ask some questions real quick: 1) When will mics be fixed for PS3? If it helps, I have a Turtle Beach P11 headset, and it randomly works with just this game.

2) Do you think you can add an option to change Batman/Robin loadouts at the lobby screen? Like, "Press triangle to cycle through skins", sorta like how you can cycle the Elites' weapons? It'd be more convenient than leaving the lobby.

3) I've noticed that with the recent tweaks that if I use Quick Match, the lobby seems to have a hard time getting the 8th person. I couldn't even invite my friends to fill the last space. It wouldn't let them join.

Overall, those were just some suggestions, and I'm glad that you guys are communicating with us more and trying to fix this for us. Regardless of your motivation, thanks for not abandoning the fan base and this game. I really enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by AO View Post
    We have tweaked the PS3 matchmaking settings which should help with the hard freeze issue (settings applied upon logging in). Please let us know how you get on.
    Last night it was terrible. It kept freezing on me. I only tried one time today but I was able to successfully get paired with about 6 other people.

Most Recent Awards:

Well it's working fine

now it's just the constantly losing conection and game always freezing part you need to fix
    I don't like why your fixing it so late though
    also we really need more game modes,maps and teams
    I think Arkham in Construction map would be very good

Freezing is down to about 1 in 10 matchmaking attempts, the rest of the time it's better than it used to be.

Loadout editing is still pretty much guaranteed to crash the game if you edit more than one loadout at a time.

Matchmaking is working perfectly for me now ! I end up joining full lobbies really fast now and I'm not having a lot of freezes anymore.

So good job fixing those issues Splash Damage (now if you could just fix the other issues too ...)

Next order of business should be connectivity, lag and people being disconnected. The former is likely people being thrown together from different countries with no regard. Maybe add a preferred locale setting if it's doable.

The latter is still pretty severe, while I don't get booted very often it seems a lot do. I doubt it's all ragequitting.

This is on 360.

Quote Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
    Next order of business should be connectivity, lag and people being disconnected. The former is likely people being thrown together from different countries with no regard. Maybe add a preferred locale setting if it's doable.

The latter is still pretty severe, while I don't get booted very often it seems a lot do. I doubt it's all ragequitting.

This is on 360.
    Also on ps3