Portrait from A-Z

(.FROST.) #1

Just recently I drew a comissioned portrait for someone. It’s roughly 42cm x 30cm in size and drawn with usual pencils.

Part 1

(.FROST.) #2

Part 2

(.FROST.) #3

In some of the earlier shots you can see, that the nose was kinda askew, but I corrected that somewhere between the 7th and the 8th pic. I got 200€ for the whole thing; wich is a bargain I’d say. But hey, it was christmas-time, so…

Part 3

(BackSnip3) #4

This looks really nice! You have so much talent!

(.FROST.) #5

(.FROST.) #6

Cat (comission)
29,5cm x 21cm

Part1

(.FROST.) #7

Cat (comission)
29,5cm x 21cm

Part 2

(.FROST.) #8

50’s fashion
29,5cm x 21cm

5hrs of work, just for myself(imo fashion, in any regard(hairdo, make-up, clothing), was at it’s top back then)

(double click the image for the full res version)

(Dormamu) #9

Amazing work Frost!
I would like to commission 1 (or more) Dirty-Bomb pin-up girls wallpaper/s 1920x1080. Not naked, more like WWII mascot pin-ups.
How much do you charge, do you take in-game currency?

(.FROST.) #10

[QUOTE=Dormamu;498986]Amazing work Frost!
I would like to commission 1 (or more) Dirty-Bomb pin-up girls wallpaper/s 1920x1080. Not naked, more like WWII mascot pin-ups.
How much do you charge, do you take in-game currency?[/QUOTE]

I’ve pencilled the stuff above with an actual pencil, so the resolution only depends on how large I scan those drawings :wink: I’m also not too much into drawing people naked. I find it quite boring, cause clothes add so much more detail and are even more a challenging and that’s what I’m looking for when I pick up my pencil. I never got why modern artists prefer to draw/paint people naked, but I guess they are just kinda lazy, cause drawing proper crinkles is almost as hard as drawing proper hands(sometimes even harder). It’s not that I’m against XXX stuff in general, hell no :wink: , but in terms of drawing, I can’t even remember when I drew the last utterly naked person.

However; ingame currency, what do you mean by that and how would you give it to me? I have enough GC stuff and sadly enough I can’t really play DB atm. I’ve grown so allergic against fast(!) paced 3D games, that I can only play fighting games, racing games, side-scroller and RPGs, if they are not too crazy on the camera. Everything else makes me feel sick pretty quickly. It’s a giant piece of crap, but what can I do? I’m still very interested to see where DB goes, but I can only play it occassionally. I really love their characer design, so your request sounds pretty good in terms of the sujet. Though I’m not sure how we should handle this currency thing.

I guess you live in the UK, so sending you sketches via e-mail(for approval) and then the final product via snail mail, shouldn’t be too difficult.

PS: The 50s girl(29,5cm x 21cm) goes for 80,-€ and the officer above(42cm x 30cm) went for 200,-€. Just to give you a landmark. Though it’s not written in stone. It all depends on how difficult the job is and b/w is of course cheaper than color.

But aside from that, as I’ve said, I like your idea, maybe that’d be exactly that kind of motive to get back into drawing with my Intuos 4. It’s most certainly the only way to actually earn a living with drawing and painting I suppose.

(Loffy) #11

You rose from awesome to godlike. How is it even humanly possible to draw that good? (Perplexed and impressed.)

(.FROST.) #12

Ok, now THAT’S a compliment, thank you very much, very glad you like it. :slight_smile:

(Bangtastic) #13

Nice work, looks great, I never get the shading right and it takes so much time ^^ idk when I shade stuff they turn out being pretty gray… xD

Maybe gonna redraw some stuff of you since its good documented and great to learn, dont worry nobody will ever see my drawings ^^

(.FROST.) #14

Just to make the drawings above easier to read, or to even practice from them.

Sorry in advance, if the following sounds a bit patronizing, or anything, but it’s just easier to keep it in this, hopefully not too commanding, tone.

- I always start with a line drawing. For that I use either a HB, or a 2B pencil; depending on the surface of the paper and if I’m actually creating something, or if I’m drawing from a photograph. Rule of thumb; the clearer the image is in my head, the harder the lead can be. The line drawing state is basically the most crucial one, where my entire focus is to make sure everything is drawn in the right relation to one another; changing stuff later on is obviously a giant pain in the butt(especially in a painting)

- after the individual parts of the image are established I take my kneaded eraser and roll it over the entire sheet, until the line drawing is only barely visible

- then I’d proceed with drawing the darkest spots with my 2B pencil

- after I’m done with “marking” all the dark areas on the image, I’d take an ordinary toilete paper, or kitchen tissue and rub the softer and darker 2B graphite into the paper; that makes sure, that most of the dark graphite stays where it belongs.

- when I’m done with that I’d wipe across the whole(!) image*, in order to establish a solid middletone, from which I can still go up(lighter) and down(darker); I call that establishing my “tone budget” and that is probably THE most important thing to keep in mind, if you want a crisp drawing, with a wide range of tones. Try to draw as much as possible in this state, where you still have a wide range of tones at your disposal. If your drawing looks good with only a limited amount of middletones you can start to apply a softer and darker lead(2B, or softer) wherever you need it

*(I try to do that as even as possible and without losing too much of the structure drawing and the dark spots)

- then I’d start to shape/accentuate the entire drawing with a 2B and HB pencil and rub the lead into the paper with a tissue, or with this paper pencil thing

- then again I’d wipe over the entire image, but this time less general and with more attention to individual shapes and the black areas

- when that is done I usuallay repeat the shaping and wiping process a couple times; always using a bit more of my dark 8B pencil

- when I feel the blacks are dark enough, the shapes are accented enough and the middletone is just right, I’d start to erase the highlights with my rubber pencil and my kneaded eraser, into the drawing. For a more stylized look, that could already be it, but if I have to go for a more refined look I’d proceed with the toilete paper wiping procedure, until it fits.

The most important things in short:

- draw the most difficult things first and always keep an eye on the relation from everything to everything

- establish a (flat)middletone* from which you can go lighter and darker (this is probably the most important “rule” for (almost)every kind of drawing and painting technique, be it traditionally or digitally).

*don’t leave any(!) white spots on your canvas, or paper. I think the only exception from that rule are certain water color techniques, where leaving the exact right white spots is basically an art form in itself.

- use a wide range of pencils (7H-8B)

- eraser(kneaded eraser and pencil eraser) are just as important for the active drawing process, as the pencils themself.

PS: For me the most joyful moment when I draw something is, when all the blacks are deep and done, the middletones are even and the sub-shapes are sharp and I would then erase all the highlights on the edges and wherever else they are supposed to be. That instantly makes the entire image pop and gives it this great impression of depth.

(Dormamu) #15

Yeah mon, i think we can strike a really excellent deal. At the moment i only have like 5000 United Earth Credits (Star Citizen currency) ~ 4$ so this will get me like a postage stamp :D, tho… when the game goes live i can pay you in contraband cargo, ship tuning, undiscovered jump locations, fleet location info, Vandull raid prediction, life time free of charge refuel at my hidden base, your personal wing squadron in the Operation Pitchfork, 1 free landing on the Tiber II (Tomb) planet :D. A place on the UEE most wanted list and some other stuff i can “borrow” from the other players.
I estimate all of this for like 2000$~4000$ on the black market, so this will mean like 10 Dirty-Bomb pin-up girls in b/w and 10 in color.
Do we have a deal? :smiley:

(.FROST.) #16

[QUOTE=Dormamu;499044]Yeah mon, i think we can strike a really excellent deal. At the moment i only have like 5000 United Earth Credits (Star Citizen currency) ~ 4$ so this will get me like a postage stamp :D, tho… when the game goes live i can pay you in contraband cargo, ship tuning, undiscovered jump locations, fleet location info, Vandull raid prediction, life time free of charge refuel at my hidden base, your personal wing squadron in the Operation Pitchfork, 1 free landing on the Tiber II (Tomb) planet :D. A place on the UEE most wanted list and some other stuff i can “borrow” from the other players.
I estimate all of this for like 2000$~4000$ on the black market, so this will mean like 10 Dirty-Bomb pin-up girls in b/w and 10 in color.
Do we have a deal? :D[/QUOTE]

Lol. I don’t think that I’ll ever get into Star Citizen, even though it looks quite awesome. But I think I’ll play a bit around with your idea of that DB pin-up and post it here. Then you can still decide if you want the real thing, or not :wink:

(.FROST.) #17

Just for you Dormamu, my first concept of a Proxy pin-up. She’s not actually naked, I’ll definitely draw her in full gear, or in some varition of it. This is just a structure drawing in order to get the positioning of the limbs right(more, or less).

Hope you guys like it. I’ll workout a more refined version over the next days, which then will be the basis for a colored version.

(Dormamu) #18

Great work mon! Thank You Frost!
You should change the “Hitting towns in 2014” with “Here comes the …” :smiley:
And “Enlist for the Beta” with Proxy speech balloon: “Sexy and I Know It” :smiley:
I Love It!

(.FROST.) #19

Thanks man, stay tuned for the next versions. Hope it won’t take too long :wink:

(.FROST.) #20

Cat (comission)
29,5cm x 21cm

Part 1