Selfkilling

(Rex) #1

I noticed that another big tactical element is missing. The selfkilling. Haven’t seen it on public and even more surprising not in matches. In past games it was always present and an additional skill factor with teamplay involved.

Here are a few things why you respawned:

[ul]
[li]spawning back, tactical retreat[/li][li]to get nades again[/li][li]to come back with full ammo[/li][li]to come back with full HP[/li][li]to “teleport” yourself to the front or a better spawn point[/li][li]to switch class[/li][li]to coordinate a push with your team (when you were alone at the front etc.)[/li][/ul]

Ok, now why does no one selfkill in Xt?

[ul]
[li]selectable spawn points are missing[/li][li]no nades[/li][li]health regen + med pack revives you to full in no time[/li][li]capturable spawn points are missing[/li][li]not that important, because everyone can do objectives[/li][/ul]

A few examples:

• When you push back another attack wave as defenders you respawned, because you knew you could back on your position in no time (thanks to strafe jumping) + being full equipped again.

• 2vs6 situation at the front, where you better respawned to have a full 6 men attack

• giving up your position but returning as another class to defuse etc.

Why should we bother with selfkilling at all? Well, it’s just that another tactical and skillful element is gone. :frowning:

(shaftz0r) #2

the only time i ever kill out is when i have literally no ammo. there’s no reason to

(fzl) #3

lol selfkilling is one of the important things in shooters…but ok cod/cs noobs dont know that (hihi)

(Rex) #4

Exactly. And that’s just sad. :frowning:

(montheponies) #5

i think it still makes sense, but yeah a lot of the reasons are missing.

i’m really only playing pubs and to be honest in rtcw it was pretty much abused to deny the kill (something which Xt taken care of, which is nice). Surprised that it’s not used more often in competition though.

if the spawnwave and time where fixed to be the same on all modes, objective and sw it might get more use,

(BomBaKlaK) #6

Lot of sadness actually … not only on this point

(tokamak) #7

Their loss, after all, it’s what turned them in miserable failures that nobody plays.

(RasteRayzeR) #8

I remember self-kills being a skill in ET. Miss it and you have to wait for a full wave to respawn. I guess players today should not get frustrated anymore …

(INF3RN0) #9

CoD/CS noobs??? Those are completely different games when it comes to respawns lmao. Not saying I don’t value respawns, but that was a bit ignorant to say.

(chippy) #10

Would you also bash down a baseball player playing football for the first time not knowing 100% of the rules and gameplans?

Really? From what I recall COD1-4 was a huge success and between those titles there wasn’t that much in the core mechanics that had changed, only that COD4 had sprint (more or less). Just because the dudes playing it today are going “hardcore” with their consoles doesn’t mean the game is dead. Even though I personally can’t see how they could possibly enjoy it…

(tokamak) #11

Well it’s obvious, nobody is enjoying it because they can’t kill themselves.

(Raviolay) #12

I think it would be great to stage a day long in game protest, where we all just in self kill over and over just got to make sure we can fill some servers.

(shaftz0r) #13

pretty sure cs is the largest comp game ever

(fragon89) #14

largest fps comp game*

(dommafia) #15

I face palmed at people not seeing the sarcasm.

(BAMFana) #16

I don’t think self-killing as a game mechanic has any place in a modern game. Players should be rewarded for trying their best to stay alive, and they should never benefit from self-killing.

(BomBaKlaK) #17

It can be seen like a tactical move, but i’m also agree with this point of view

(attack) #18

you all forget one important thing. you have often to selfkill because of bugs and glitches.
you got revived in a wall and stuff like that.

(Humate) #19

I don’t think self-killing as a game mechanic has any place in a modern game.

In one way I can agree with you. Its counter-intuitive for new players, even experienced fps players from other games.
But in another way I can say, SD shouldnt bother with making XT if they aren’t willing to stick with things that work.

If modernizing the ET model, essentially means replicating Brink with higher lethality and lower spread, I dont think players will stick around.

(onYn) #20

Respawning in time, on your own or as a team, can be a verry important tactical move. With usefull spawnpoints, you can maybe try to sneak some objectives (obviously not on any of the current maps). On the other side you may need to respawn for a personal reason, like no ammo, almost dead, and goign to be killed for sure in the next 2 secs, but with a actual respawntimer of 1, so probably havign to wait the full spawn time if you don´t kill yourself NOW, or just to pick a different class to do the objective. As a team and by that more in competition, respawning is even more crucial. Once your attack is being held down, and 1 or 2 of your mates are dead and gibed, there is no reason for the rest of you, especially with some kind of dmg, to keep attacking… you just should respawn, and attack with a new wave. In case you are defending, and want to give up a spawn, or objective, in order to set up defense at the next one, respawning may also be worth.

Respawning (just in general, but especially with captable spawnhosts) is something, that can´t harm the game in anyway. Or how is this supposed to be bad, besides idelogical thoughts? No one forces you to respawn. If you don´t want to, and prefere to fight, it´s your decision. And in the end it may be the better one, in case you kill everyone and somehow protect/get the objective. It won´t be as remarcable tho, if you haven´t respawned even if you could, trying to do the unthinkable, then as it would be if you just had to stay and fight for it, because there was no way to respawn…

What is a modern game btw.? Is there a reference, or an article I could read about?