so why was nexon chosen?

(shaftz0r) #1

we’ve never fully received an answer that i can remember, correct me if i’m wrong.

The reason i’m bringing it up (besides that it’s a relevant topic of discussion) is because i ran across this interesting game a few months ago called Strike Vector. They’re going to distribute their beta via steam. I personally dont understand why this wasnt done with Xt. They support indies more than any distributor that ive seen in recent memory. The community and reach is massive, an already integrated friends list and join system, simple updating (i know it has to be sent to the for approval and can bog that process down ect) and last but NOT least, the steam workshop for the modding community.

I really would love a full thought out reply to this, because i feel like a huge mistake was made in the decision of teaming up with nexon. Im not trying to knock them or their business model, but i feel like their history and audience speaks for itself.

(Kl3ppy) #2

I think Nexon entered the game because they have some knowlegde with f2p games.

(shaftz0r) #3

valve/steam don’t? O_o as someone that is forced to weigh pros and cons to make decisions that heavily effect production and profit on a daily basis, i just don’t understand.

(chippy) #4

Steam have been a platform for some F2P games. I don’t think Valve developed a F2P Game. Only TF2 which turned F2P after it already had an established userbase.

(Kl3ppy) #5

You are completly right.

(shaftz0r) #6

absolutely. im talking about distribution, and an already established and well known backend, not a course on how to sell hats :wink:

(.Chris.) #7

so why was nexon chosen?

Because Money.

(attack) #8

[QUOTE=shaftz0r;485553]we’ve never fully received an answer that i can remember, correct me if i’m wrong.

The reason i’m bringing it up (besides that it’s a relevant topic of discussion) is because i ran across this interesting game a few months ago called Strike Vector. They’re going to distribute their beta via steam. I personally dont understand why this wasnt done with Xt. They support indies more than any distributor that ive seen in recent memory. The community and reach is massive, an already integrated friends list and join system, simple updating (i know it has to be sent to the for approval and can bog that process down ect) and last but NOT least, the steam workshop for the modding community.

I really would love a full thought out reply to this, because i feel like a huge mistake was made in the decision of teaming up with nexon. Im not trying to knock them or their business model, but i feel like their history and audience speaks for itself.[/QUOTE]

you have to taken in account that SD is a big studio ,not one of the 5 man indi studios .
a studio have very big cost.
i think SD tryed to do it on their own, but im sure they saw at some point that the interest of the players wasnt big enought to carry it on their own.
if this game would be a failure ,maybe the studio have to close or disband some people.
so i think nexon gave them some safety .
you always try to get a partnership with the company which offers the most .

(shaftz0r) #9

[QUOTE=attack;485573]you have to taken in account that SD is a big studio ,not one of the 5 man indi studios .
a studio have very big cost.
i think SD tryed to do it on their own, but im sure they saw at some point that the interest of the players wasnt big enought to carry it on their own.
if this game would be a failure ,maybe the studio have to close or disband some people.
so i think nexon gave them some safety .
you always try to get a partnership with the company which offers the most .[/QUOTE]

i still dont see the benefit in any capacity

(attack) #10

its safetiness in the moneyflow .
they can be sure that they get enough money to put in the project and have not to do the marketing themself.
look at the marketing campaign of CoD and its cost.
SD is simply not big enough for this.
all times before they had work for a big company.(id software)
(et,quake wars,brink)
btw thats for sure one reason why they have the performance issues.they always have worked on idtech engines and have now went to unrealengine 3.
the shooter market is very hard, maybe harder than any time before.
their are cod , bf and nothing else.
tf2 and cs are a big name for people which grow up with these old shooters,
but ask smbdy of the young people which shooters he knows and he will for sure answer cod and bf.
its not the best product which sells well ,its the product with the best marketing behind.

(shaftz0r) #11

[QUOTE=attack;485577]its safetiness in the moneyflow .
they can be sure that they get enough money to put in the project and have not to do the marketing themself.
look at the marketing campaign of CoD and its cost.
SD is simply not big enough for this.
all times before they had work for a big company.(id software)
(et,quake wars,brink)
btw thats for sure one reason why they have the performance issues.they always have worked on idtech engines and have now went to unrealengine 3.
the shooter market is very hard, maybe harder than any time before.
their are cod , bf and nothing else.
tf2 and cs are a big name for people which grow up with these old shooters,
but ask smbdy of the young people which shooters he knows and he will for sure answer cod and bf.
its not the best product which sells well ,its the product with the best marketing behind.[/QUOTE]

nothing you’ve stated is relevant to this project. Steam reaches a drastically larger market that isnt sullied by bad press, and you’re comparing massive AAA titles to Xt which is an unfair comparison. also the performance issues have not a single thing to do with changing engines. its just part of the development process…

(attack) #12

steam reaches a a large market yeah, but you simply ignore the fact is that you have to share the market with thousands of games.(many triple AAA games).looke how mayn great games get not even a part of the attention they deserve.lets see as example chivalry.when chivalry was released the full aedvertisement on steam was on war of the roses.you had to search for chivalry to find it on steam,the reason is simple Wot R had the bigger company behind and i think valve believed more inn it and wanted it somehow be succesfull.in the end chivalry won,but it could have done much better.
i would see Xt as a big project (maybe not AAA), alone for the fact that they already pointed out that its planned to be extended for many years.
SD had also tried to be with brink the next big thing.
to the last point: experience with an engine helps always the performance . look at camden they used wide areas .johnny already pointed out that sizes over 2056 would result in bad performance and gave as example camden.
so they learned it with the camden.(or why should they have done it otherwise).also the games which a newer mostly run better than the old on the same engine based and looks alot better ,its all a result of experience.

(shaftz0r) #13

who have they pulled into this game that has ever used nexon for anything besides maybe crossfire (or whatever that terrible game is called)? nobody. Their fanbase comes from previous games, mostly ET, but a lot of QWs. Maybe in the long run to catch 12 year olds with their parents credit cards, but thats a tiny market in comparison to 50 million people that have steam installed

[QUOTE=attack;485581]experience with an engine helps always the performance . look at camden they used wide areas .johnny already pointed out that sizes over 2056 would result in bad performance and gave as example camden.
so they learned it with the camden.(or why should they have done it otherwise).also the games which a newer mostly run better than the old on the same engine based and looks alot better ,its all a result of experience.[/QUOTE]

comparing an opengl engine to directx and talking about performance is not a convo im going to have, but ide be willing to concede that im sure it’s a learning process for some devs, though i hard time believing that they’re learning on the fly.

(attack) #14

[QUOTE=shaftz0r;485588]who have they pulled into this game that has ever used nexon for anything besides maybe crossfire (or whatever that terrible game is called)? nobody. Their fanbase comes from previous games, mostly ET, but a lot of QWs. Maybe in the long run to catch 12 year olds with their parents credit cards, but thats a tiny market in comparison to 50 million people that have steam installed.

[/QUOTE]
nexon is a huge company with very many succesfull running games.
they for sure pump money in the project so they have already done much.

maybe you have no idea how much money some people spend for f2p games.
best example LoL.nearly everybody has skins.if you look at the price of pulsfire ezrael which i see alot ingame,you will see that it is about 10 euro .
the money you can get with a f2p game is rly heavy.
to the point with the child with moms credit card.i knbow myself so many people which have pumped an amount of money in games which is unbelievable.
there are people which pay for browser games 50 euro in one month or more.there is a reason why games like runes of magic and the stuff are still running and the number of f2p games is uncountable !the reason is it pays of.its not because the compnys are that smart guys.

(ailmanki) #15

Steam is not a plattform providing servers, its only content delivery and a store + content from community.
So the big problem would still be customer support and servers.

(shaftz0r) #16

[QUOTE=ailmanki;485596]
So the big problem would still be customer support and servers.[/QUOTE]

did not really think about that.

(Bangtastic) #17

Steam is the graveyard for F2P games lol

Edit: and the answer was already stated by anti or smooth; Still I think it doesnt matter… it rly does not matter since development of the game dont change;

your energy should be put in some feedback or ideas, and there was already this discussion

(shaftz0r) #18

proof of this? i have a few examples of the opposite in my head right now

(Bangtastic) #19

Rift, ridge racer, APB, tactical intervention, ragnarok, age of conan, everquest, dungeons and dragons, lotro, bloodline champions, global agenda, champions online…

to me it seems, developers hammer it on steam to mobilize the last ressources they have. I simply doubt that a game like xT wont pushed a lot on steam because it is a straight competitor to cs go. that simple. and future source 2 games will overshadow it aswell.

(Rex) #20

Can’t see the point of this thread. Your question won’t change anything anyway, so move along please.
Quite tired of this Nexon bashing…