are you tracking the new players coming in?

(shaftz0r) #1

i would like to see the average stay time of the new group of players coming in. im guessing there’s about 500+ keys being given out.

I truly think that this should be a wake up call for you guys. no disrespect intended, i just dont think you’re taking us seriously when we tell you that the maps are the real issue. I personally think the gunplay is fine, movement could be improved and of course balancing will be ongoing forever, but im watching people play one map and leave out of either boredom, or the ttk is way too long for them (i think its almost perfect personally). Literally one map, maybe 2 maps and gone, to be replaced by new players coming in, than they leave in a map or 2. The only upside is that i havent seen much public complaining, unlike the last round of keys given out

(Mustang) #2

People that moan about TTK often don’t realise there is a headshot multiplier, no headshot hitsound certainly doesn’t help.

(shaftz0r) #3

there is one, it’s just bad and almost indistinguishable from the bodyshot sound

(DB Genome editor) #4

I too would like to see some feedback on retention of the Beta tester as well as a survey of why those that left did. For me it makes no sense that someone would willingly join a Beta only to write the game off without having even played a complete round of all the maps, and without even posting their feedback. If people are doing it, then it’s definitely worth the effort to try to understand why.

(shaftz0r) #5

basically one server all day/night. a terrible 8v8 cluster****. not a good sign with how many keys are out

(Mustang) #6

I know, I was just throwing in that hyperbole for Smooth’s benefit. :tongue:

But seriously, it’s not noticeable that you’re landing headshots in the middle of a fight.

(shaftz0r) #7

look at the server list. see all of those servers on trainyard? yeah. those are on trainyard still from the bug after the last patch because not a single person has been in them

(Anti) #8

Yes we are tracking them, in detail. No retention isn’t great right now and we do take that seriously. That said most of the reasons given for not hanging about by those who only play for a short time do not match the feedback you longer term players give.

The biggest impacters on people not hanging about tight now are poor performance, lack of usability (especially character information) and complexity/difficulty of the game (including a current high skill level). We are starting to address these already.

(ailmanki) #9

[QUOTE=Anti;485412]Yes we are tracking them, in detail. No retention isn’t great right now and we do take that seriously. That said most of the reasons given for not hanging about by those who only play for a short time do not match the feedback you longer term players give.

The biggest impacters on people not hanging about tight now are poor performance, lack of usability (especially character information) and complexity/difficulty of the game (including a current high skill level). We are starting to address these already.[/QUOTE]

Well, I mentioned perfomance very early as a problem, and I mentioned skill also very early as a problem, way back in alpha.
And they are still a problem. It is not fun to play as noob against a pro. What was done is add Veteran servers or something like that?
But people still joined the casual public. And where am I myself located? I have no idea. Maybe in middle?

(Glottis-3D) #10

it surely is important to have servers for newcomers (until they get some Xp). there can be friendly fire and smaller (easier to understand) maps. Trainyard instead of camden, small waterloo instead of old-waterloo, etc.
maybe some other noob-stuff, like tips (“Your team needs a medic!! Take it if you want to help your team!”, or “You need to build a treassery to store gold!!”)

(Kl3ppy) #11

I’ll wait till the performance gets better to give out my keys. bad performance is the main fun killer for me.

(attack) #12

btw as timefiller to next update. sacrifice 2 euro at steam! i have it now 2 times on cd and 4 times on steam XD

(Protekt1) #13

Too rich for my blood.

(shaftz0r) #14

[QUOTE=Anti;485412]Yes we are tracking them, in detail. No retention isn’t great right now and we do take that seriously. That said most of the reasons given for not hanging about by those who only play for a short time do not match the feedback you longer term players give.

The biggest impacters on people not hanging about tight now are poor performance, lack of usability (especially character information) and complexity/difficulty of the game (including a current high skill level). We are starting to address these already.[/QUOTE]

and we do understand this. we’ve (I) have mentioned multiple times that forcing 8v8 servers down the throats of incoming players is the worst idea ever. It doesn’t represent the game properly, and you’re setting up new players to fail right off the bat. Besides the obvious massive performance issues, the maps arent designed for it, and they just get slaughtered with 3-23 ratios which makes them rage and never return

(Protekt1) #15

Yeah 8v8 just causes performance problems for even PCs that should be running it fine with normal settings. I run into issues even with config tweaks.

I think making the servers 6v6 will go a long way. Even 7v7 is a step, although not enough, in the right direction.

(Kl3ppy) #16

Can it be that the bad performance delivers wrong echo data? I mean, you cant be happy with xt atm. It’s more like teamdeath match than objective based game type.
And please dont say your surprised that the main issue is performance. It’s a known issue for at least half a year, here are numerous guys complaining about bad performance but the performance didnt improve over the time. And now many ppl join the beta, how long do you think will they play with the current build? 1 week? 1 day? Will they come back?
I think it’s a pretty bad point to hand out keys and invite guys. The game is more scary (bad performance/pros dominate newcomers/ etc) than it’s a well spend time. I dont give out my keys until there is a significant performance boost.

(attack) #17

btw which complexity? :confused:

(fragon89) #18

take ppl as dumb and give them “half of maps” so they will learn step by step is very stupid, there are many ppl like me want to see the whole game, whats 5-5 like? it take couple days to learn all maps+mercs… this game is simple.

4 of my friends from COD came to game without any splash damage games played before and they learnt fast enough

p.s they said the video on the beginning does really good job

(Glottis-3D) #19

[QUOTE=fragon89;485464]take ppl as dumb and give them “half of maps” so they will learn step by step is very stupid, there are many ppl like me want to see the whole game, whats 5-5 like? it take couple days to learn all maps+mercs… this game is simple.

4 of my friends from COD came to game without any splash damage games played before and they learnt fast enough

p.s they said the video on the beginning does really good job[/QUOTE]

i’d say maps are confusing. to different extent.
whitechapel being most linear and simple.

but camden…not very easy for newbies

and videos will only help with overal map knowledge. but what coridors are faster to object? what places have advantage? which places are totally useless? etc. this stuff is learned through hours and hours of play. especially with both obj and stopwatch modes there is a possibility that map will end before some last objects.

i literally didnt like maps at all when i started play back in june. well, White chapel and Waterloo were OK, I clearly remember first impressions. Other maps were too Brinkish.

So i want EX to make a good first impression.

BTW, it is a common practice in quake - smaller remakes of big maps. they are really esdier to play and prac.

(attack) #20

[QUOTE=krokodealer;485473]i’d say maps are confusing. to different extent.
whitechapel being most linear and simple.

but camden…not very easy for newbies

and videos will only help with overal map knowledge. but what coridors are faster to object? what places have advantage? which places are totally useless? etc. this stuff is learned through hours and hours of play. especially with both obj and stopwatch modes there is a possibility that map will end before some last objects.

i literally didnt like maps at all when i started play back in june. well, White chapel and Waterloo were OK, I clearly remember first impressions. Other maps were too Brinkish.

So i want EX to make a good first impression.

BTW, it is a common practice in quake - smaller remakes of big maps. they are really esdier to play and prac.[/QUOTE]

every shootermap is at the first times confusing.or you think smbdy tell you which route is best in cs.if you talk about confusing maps take a look at ns2 .
i dont know if the modern gamer is that brainless that he needs a blinking arrow to every obj or linerarity like cod campaigns.
a part of the fun of a shooter comes from finding cool routes on maps and learn them.
in quake maps you can put 100s of hours of learning routes for different item timings, weapon pickus, avoiding enemy…
if i join a new quake map i dont expect to know after 1 round where every weapon is.
i want to grow and find stuff on the map which improve my skill.

if i want eas maps i play an moba(and ye i play LoL)