NSA is watching you in games

(Runeforce) #1

“The agencies, the documents show, have built mass-collection capabilities against the Xbox Live console network, which has more than 48 million players. Real-life agents have been deployed into virtual realms, from those Orc hordes in World of Warcraft to the human avatars of Second Life. There were attempts, too, to recruit potential informants from the games’ tech-friendly users.”

“Given that gaming consoles often include voice headsets, video cameras, and other identifiers, the potential for joining together biometric information with activities was also an exciting one.”

(Kl3ppy) #2

I dont know if the NSA is really satisfied spying on my racing skills (FM4 + F1) and my poor shooting skills (GTA V) :smiley:

But I’m not really shocked because the NSA is like a bigdata vacuum cleaner which sucks all data in it can get.

(Finko) #3

Agree with Shifty, but i don’t think Al Qaeda talk about their busines in WoW, or La2.

(Runeforce) #4

Yeah I agree, it seems like paranoid maddness. But acccording to the leaked documents, this is exactly what the NSA thinks.

A 2007 invitation to a secret internal briefing noted “terrorists use online games – but perhaps not for their amusement. They are suspected of using them to communicate secretly and to transfer funds.” But the agencies had no evidence to support their suspicions.

“Al-Qaida terrorist target selectors and … have been found associated with Xbox Live, Second Life, World of Warcraft, and other GVEs [games and virtual environments],” the document notes. “Other targets include Chinese hackers, an Iranian nuclear scientist, Hizballah, and Hamas members.”

(Finko) #5

Imo, if you want keep information in secret you must don’t use interwebs, because all info that you drop into interwebs becomes public. I use social net’s like facebook, vk, twitter, but i never post there private info :slight_smile:

(Kl3ppy) #6

I was a bit upset because it’s not possible to set in FB your living location to pokeball. :frowning:

(Mustang) #7

Must be a hard life for them spending all day play games, sorry I mean not playing games whilst spying on others who are playing.

(Finko) #8

It’s like “adult movie”, you can watch, but can’t join :wink:

(Dthy) #9

Cool, hope someone saw my sick LoL sk1llzz

(Nail) #10

but they do, , bike gangs have used game forums and their pm systems for years, it’s impossible to keep track now that there’s free wifi every where

(Ruben0s) #11

I played with the name Osama Bin Laden in W:ET. Should I be worried???

(xdc) #12

sounds like a waste of time, best bet would be recording chat logs in games, and knowing how much time one spends in front of the screen

(Runeforce) #13

Best bet for this rampant government agency would be to stop breaking the law, and start attaining warrents on the grounds of probable cause, and otherwise stop disrespecting the privacy of citizens and start to follow the constitution.

This are the guys that build their control room as an exact copy of the bridge of the U.S.S Enterprise.

“War on Terror” my ass!

People dead from Al-qaeda related attacks since 9/11: aprox. 3k.
People dead from US and coalition actions in the same period: Unknown, but low estimate +200k.

(brbrbrbrbrbr) #14

poor things had quite weak excused for gaming at work, so be honest with them. why gov’t agencies can’t had gamers among staff ?
but talking [relatively]seriously, havent surprised much.
generally not only NSA interested in among feds. four other agencies detected among US, doing quite serious investments [in past/today and probably in future, too]in gamedev, thus, seriously focusing on online gaming for very obvious reasons.
for example nearly 1/3 of all gd startups on east coast had traced to ODNI assets “information/cultural domination”-related investments last 4 yrs.

(edxot) #15

related to this surveillance world we live in, just this morning i noticed something. it might be interesting for those who were interested in this thread.

i have an youtube account which i use to post replies to videos. thing i don’t do much often btw. 4 posts in 6 years.
today, just by accident, i clicked someone’s nick, instead of a video link. then i got to see the activity of that person, with his account (i didnt knew that was possible). imediately i went to check if i could see my own activity. obviously.

my account activity was very small. just showed the posts i made in the past. but it also included another thing. something that i didn’t do. it was a “like” in a video promoting a particular religion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzbnARyPMMk).

since i never did that “like” on the video, i believe it must have been done by someone else. and what person could it be ? it must have been someone who could use it as an excuse for targetting me with surveillance. what other reason could there be ?

this was just to let you guys know how fast/easy you can become a victim of someone else (just a bit of missinformation). and probably getting state-of-the-art surveillance on you.

(Silvanoshi) #16

The necromancer returns…this thread is a tad old, and going a fair bit off topic. If…for whatever reason…you have something to contribute to the thread topic…please make sure it’s more closely related to the thread title than edxot’s post.

(edxot) #17

if you prefer i can start a new thread. will that be ok with you ?

(Nail) #18

might be ok with Sil, not me, go get a freakin blog somewhere. I’m fairly certain no one here wants to hear about your inability to keep your computer secure, you’re likely being attacked because of your abrasive personality. You didn’t get those red stars for being a forum hero

or, you could be like impulsive and asked to be removed, then never leave, just turn off his red stars

either way, you are very annoying

FAQIS will prolly call me a forum cop again in another long winded PM

(edxot) #19

maybe you should start a blog of your own for “very annoyable people”

(Silvanoshi) #20

Jeebus chaps…fewer of these ridiculous spats please.

Closing this thread as it really has spiralled off-topic.