Linux version?

(Protekt1) #1

In light of all the momentum of steambox and steamos, I think this would be a good idea to have.

The first specs for steambox have come out and for 500 bucks you get a r9 270 amd card with a amd multicore (not really specific for the CPU). So basically you can buy a pre-built, small, PC/console that is stronger than PS4/xboxone for the same price range. And even not regarding steamboxes, the steamos could be a great thing to support in itself.

(fubar) #2

[QUOTE=Protekt1;483036]In light of all the momentum of steambox and steamos, I think this would be a good idea to have.

The first specs for steambox have come out and for 500 bucks you get a r9 270 amd card with a amd multicore (not really specific for the CPU). So basically you can buy a pre-built, small, PC/console that is stronger than PS4/xboxone for the same price range. And even not regarding steamboxes, the steamos could be a great thing to support in itself.[/QUOTE]

Little off topic here, but… I genuinely don’t get what the **** they’re trying to achieve with these steamboxes, essentially it’s just a HTPC, overpriced and bad one at that. It doesn’t offer anything to anyone people haven’t already been doing and using for years. Please explain to me why anyone would ever want to waste money on such :frowning:

But yeah, *nix client and server files, pretty please?

(stealth6) #3

Smaller case then most people, the possibility to stream games from your pc to your tv is pretty cool. Presumably better drivers / performance in games since developers can tailor games to the hardware.

The rumors I’ve heard on prices it doesn’t sound overpriced at all. I’m not convinced enough to ditch my windows pc, but I’m definitely intrigued by the steambox. Time will tell if it’s good or not.

(Ruben0s) #4

Well it’s not expensive, but if you can built a pc yourself you can built it cheaper.

I just finished building a pc for my gf for christmas. I paid €350 and this is what I got.

CPU: Intel i5 3450 Boxed
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M LE
GPU: Asus HD7770 DC 1GD5 V2
CASE: Cooler Master N300
SSD: Intel SSD 530 120GB
PSU: Point of view black diamond 500W
DDR3: 6 GB

For €500 (it will cost most likely €500 in Europe) I can built a machine that is better than the steambox mentioned in the OP.

(Breo) #5

I don’t get the Steambox hype either :rolleyes: It feels like it’s just hardware with Steam in “big picture mode” :confused:

(Rex) #6

[QUOTE=Protekt1;483036]In light of all the momentum of steambox and steamos, I think this would be a good idea to have.

The first specs for steambox have come out and for 500 bucks you get a r9 270 amd card with a amd multicore (not really specific for the CPU). So basically you can buy a pre-built, small, PC/console that is stronger than PS4/xboxone for the same price range. And even not regarding steamboxes, the steamos could be a great thing to support in itself.[/QUOTE]

What has this to do with Extraction now? :confused:

(Protekt1) #7

Did you skip the title of the thread?

I’ll make it clearer for you: linux compatibility of extraction please.

edit:

I didn’t intend this to become a thread about discussion on steamboxes specifically, rather discussion about making extraction linux compatible. There still isn’t really enough information to discuss steamboxes, I just added the recent news in case people were curious.

(Nail) #8

Unreal engine is not Linux friendly, this has been mentioned before

(Protekt1) #9

Oh please, UE3 engine and games have been ported to linux years ago.

(Rex) #10

[QUOTE=Protekt1;483058]Did you skip the title of the thread?

I’ll make it clearer for you: linux compatibility of extraction please.

edit:

I didn’t intend this to become a thread about discussion on steamboxes specifically, rather discussion about making extraction linux compatible. There still isn’t really enough information to discuss steamboxes, I just added the recent news in case people were curious.[/QUOTE]

Ah sorry, I just read your first post which was all about steam box specs.

(Nail) #11

oh really, afaik, there’s only a couple games at best and Epic has no interest

(Smooth) #12

Never say never, but this currently isn’t a priority. Especially as it involves a lot of reworking to get a UE3 game in Linux.

We will always keep an eye on the trends though, at some point it may become worthwhile :slight_smile:

(fubar) #13

[QUOTE=Smooth;483112]Never say never, but this currently isn’t a priority. Especially as it involves a lot of reworking to get a UE3 game in Linux.

We will always keep an eye on the trends though, at some point it may become worthwhile :)[/QUOTE]

Great to hear, after all, one of the bigger reasons ET had such a following was due to its OS compatibility. :slight_smile:

(mazesc) #14

Do you have evidence to back that up? I’m a proponent of Linux, but somehow doubt that statement.

(fubar) #15

Fair enough, may have been a bit of an overstatement. I do however recall a bigger hype and following from Linux Gamers back in the days when it was first released, as one of the few multi platform compatible games. Especially after Quake and RtCW having been such a huge hit. The ETPro scene had a ton of *nix players for a very long time due to the better performance. Not to mention the server side benefits. Has its own wiki entry on various distributions as well, it’s definitely not something that just passed by and was ignored.

(DarkangelUK) #16

You could put that down to the fact there weren’t many quality games on Linux during that time anyway, so really they just embraced anything they could that seemed semi-decent.

(shaftz0r) #17

there were and still are a good number of people who play et on linux, but to be fair, a wide swath of them during peak et years were the cheaters :stuck_out_tongue:

(Kl3ppy) #18

My brother and I played ETQW on Linux :slight_smile:
I was so involved in ETQW and Linux, so I wrote a german tutorial how to install and configure it :slight_smile:

Overall, it would be cool if SD has some info how many Win, Mac and Linux players played ETQW. But I think, they dont have a valid source.

(Runeforce) #19

I’m all for a GNU/linux client (and Mac, Android, *BSD, Solaris, name your poison) of Extraction, but I can’t see how this relates to Steambox :confused:

(Dragonji) #20

Ekhm, Steam OS = Linux?