Character-oriented grenades

(RasteRayzeR) #1

Turns out I had an idea that might be interesting (for once), which is to introduce character-specific nades. They fit the design of unique characters with unique abilities SD implemented, and it gives us a chance to get back the grenades !

[QUOTE=Smooth;480153]The class specific grenades are a good idea and deserve their own thread but please think of them as character specific grenades.

For example, we don’t want all healing characters to all have the same tools/weapons since that takes away from the uniqueness of the characters and removes some of the weight behind choosing who to play.[/QUOTE]

So the idea is to come up with a list of cool ideas for grenades that add to each character an extra ability. This opens up more strategies, more crowd control, and hopefully a big load of fun !

Other thread close to this one : http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/37720-Do-you-want-grenades-back-on-all-characters

I will keep track of the ideas and update the OP each time. So lets go folks ! Here is what we already have :

Medic :

• a grenade that increase hp regen upon hitting team mates but prevents hp regen upon hitting enemies. (thx for the additional twist to this Inferno !) -> cf kolto bomb in SWTOR
  • a grenade that gives a running speed buff
  • a grenade with nerve-paralising poison : inflicts slowdowns

Engineer :

• Tank sticky bombs with good damage output, has to be layed on the tank (Volcano)
  • Oilslick charge, modifies running speed and is highly flammable :wink:
  • Explosive bowling ball (with spin mechanics)

Recon :

• a remote grenade (satchel ?)
  • a grenade temp mechanical disables (EV, --> PUMP <–, turrets, jams the radars)
  • a grenade to block abilities for a short duration (Inferno)
  • caltrop style with a minor slow? (Inferno)
  • a ninja-smoke grenade : makes smoke around char, so he can retreat (charge time 2 seconds at most)
  • a blink grenade (telefrag ?)

Soldier :

• Damage grenade, flash grenade, concussion grenade (already implemented)
  • Sonic pulse grenade : makes weapons of enemies hit get a % of chances to jam and removes all hearing for a duration
  • Fragmentation grenades with nails in it, high range - low damage
  • Mortar !

Field Ops :

• If the field ops has no fire support, he could deploy a shield versus artillery or airstrikes (shaftzor)
  • a smoke grenade. (implemented in the new patch)
  • a curved grenade : the more you cook it, the larger the radius of curve. Detonates on contact, or second click. (kroko)

(Volcano) #2

caltrop goes to recon,

engy sticky bomb for tanks to do lots of damage, have to get in close to put it on

(stealth6) #3

Character specific nades were already mentioned here: http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/37720-Do-you-want-grenades-back-on-all-characters
(Maybe other places too since I remember reading the caltrop suggestion too, this was just the first result I found)
The only fresh idea is that they should replace the nade instead of being an addition.

Anyway yay for discussion! But what’s the point when nobody bothers to read it.

How about a timed grenade for engineer (also known as the normal grenade we all love :tongue:)

(RasteRayzeR) #4

[QUOTE=stealth6;480165]Character specific nades were already mentioned here: http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/37720-Do-you-want-grenades-back-on-all-characters
(Maybe other places too since I remember reading the caltrop suggestion too, this was just the first result I found)
The only fresh idea is that they should replace the nade instead of being an addition.

Anyway yay for discussion! But what’s the point when nobody bothers to read it.

How about a timed grenade for engineer (also known as the normal grenade we all love :tongue:)[/QUOTE]

From what I read from the other post, it’s not “exactly” the same : here the goal is to add a new set of abilities which take the form of nades, that’s the twist ! I’ll add the link in the OP just in case. But yeah, let’s discuss this, maybe we can get a few more types of nades into the game with this, which would make Ashog stay a bit longer around here :smiley:

(Violator) #5

I mentioned before somewhere an ‘oilslick’ ability for the eng, this could be changed to a nade. Makes the area of effect slidy for increased speed (but less control) + the option to combine with a molotov for extra duration / damage.

(Glottis-3D) #6
  1. Spike nades with lots of nails. High range, but low damage.
  2. Smoke grenade.
  3. Ninja-smoke grenade. This one makes smoke around char, so he can retreat. This nade has to have a much lower charge time 2 seconds at most.
  4. Nerve-paralising goo. That slows everybody down in the damage area(very low damage )

(Humate) #7

Soldier:
Explosive bowling ball (with spin mechanics) - you bowl it, when it reaches the target you mouse1 your remote detonator.
If you know someone is around the corner, you apply spin to it so it curves and follows that path.

:stroggtapir:

(RasteRayzeR) #8

[QUOTE=Humate;480183]Soldier:
Explosive bowling ball (with spin mechanics) - you bowl it, when it reaches the target you mouse1 your remote detonator.
If you know someone is around the corner, you apply spin to it so it curves and follows that path.

:stroggtapir:[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you could build a game only around that ^^

(Violator) #9

Blink nade for recon: short distance teleport (with telefrag option perhaps given some skill).

(RasteRayzeR) #10

Teleportation ? In 2020 ? Lolz why not

(Glottis-3D) #11
  1. Chain lightning-nade. For one of the engies. Does chain damage for people in visible close range area. As an additional effect 1 second stun
  2. Acid+oil nade. Probably can be realised as a nade (4seconds charge) or as a molotov analog (explodes on contact). The difference between molotov and this is that acid sticks to player’s clothes and does prolonged damage. For one of the medics

(Protekt1) #12

[QUOTE=Humate;480183]Soldier:

:stroggtapir:[/QUOTE]

Seems too silly and possibly random lol

[QUOTE=krokodealer;480233]5. Chain lightning-nade. For one of the engies. Does chain damage for people in visible close range area. As an additional effect 1 second stun
6. Acid+oil nade. Probably can be realised as a nade (4seconds charge) or as a molotov analog (explodes on contact). The difference between molotov and this is that acid sticks to player’s clothes and does prolonged damage. For one of the medics[/QUOTE]

Might want to consider a chain lightning nade again since stunning for 1 second is a long time in a fps, especially doing damage alongside and potentially hitting people not in line of sight due to the chain.

I think molotov does do prolonged damage. They shouldn’t give this to medics though. Maybe soldier, engineer, or recon since fops has a nade too similar and medic seems to run too contrary to having an acidic grenade.

(INF3RN0) #13

Ohhhh totally forgot that the FOPS needs a smoke grenade. Dewit!

(shaftz0r) #14

besides the shield, i had mentioned something that depletes ammo for a fops nade, since ammo is easy obtainable. something as simple as a single clip goes missing in an AoE

(Ashog) #15

These things have been discussed already many times, for example here: link

along with other abilities (see whole thread)

Unfortunately afaik none of the suggestions have been worked on.

(Glottis-3D) #16

[QUOTE=Ashog;480275]
Unfortunately afaik none of the suggestions have been worked on.[/QUOTE]

We have to keep on pushing. Thats what we are here for. At least thats how i see it.

(Ashog) #17

If you keep pushing, you get first warned, then tagged as repeater and be not even listened to. That’s how it works here.

I am happy at least that my repeating about sentry gun needing shorter reaction time wasn’t in vain, so thanks for implementing that. And two fragger nades instead of one limitless nade on cooldown is actually better, so thanks for it too SD.

(Glottis-3D) #18

I have never been listened to in the first place.:slight_smile:

(Volcano) #19

would you like to talk to my psychologist, she’ll listen to you sometimes,maybe

(Nail) #20

Enemy Territory:Combat Bowling