[Closed Beta] First Impressions

(Prettz) #1

First, yes I know the game is a beta.
Second, greetings! Call me Prettz.

Here goes:

* No direct access to the forum from the library section of the launcher and no way to start the game directly from the Games section where the forum link is.

Neither of these things are Splash Damage though, so that’s great.

* I know I’m new, but not being able to make sniper rounds count above a certain ping threshold (which for my internet appears to be 80 or higher ping) is a big deal due to west coast population appearing to be low at the moment.

I’ll reiterate again, I do understand the game is in beta still, so that’s also not a major issue.

So here’s the possibly relevant stuff (the order is irrelevant):

* Minor graphic glitches in models using ironsights (can see my shoulders etc. I’ll take pictures if needed)

* Between matches there’s absolutely no way to leave the active game without alt-f4 or killing the process.

* The vehicle has many issues.[ol]
[li]Turret provides no benefit to user, deflection of bullets. (Good damage output though)
[/li][li]Can pop in to and out of the turret way too easily to bypass problem 1.
[/li][li]Aims as fast as I can move my mouse making problem 2 a viable strategy for a player to pop in and out doing bursts of massive damage (Unrealistic and not very complicated to perform).
[/li][li]You have to be entirely too close to the vehicle to ease it toward objectives (Likely only a problem in small player count games as it moves faster with more players nearby… But one grenade shouldn’t force everyone on it to run away for fear of death. Makes medics seem more like babysitters for cars.)
[/li][/ol]* Movement controls when rebound do not modify the spectate while dead camera controls. (I don’t play with wasd so this may only effect me)

* I can deploy a mine, die a second later and the mine will activate but if i die while deploying a mine it sticks to my hand? (Maybe intentional? It doesn’t turn my corpse into a bomb like I expected it would)

* Ironsights with pistols makes it incredibly difficult to hit targets moving at lower elevations to me as well (may not be an issue if ironsights do not improve accuracy)

* Placed turrets take entirely too many shots to destroy (Something that small on a tripod would be knocked over and mostly useless by just running in to it. One bullet should knock it over, disabling it from firing in it’s full range of motion but not from firing where it can still pivot to. One bullet to the barrel should disable it too or make it’s next shot cause it to destroy itself. *This would mean making parts of the turret destructable though so it’s just an idea.)

* If you leave a game it takes you back to the ‘Home screen’ so we’re required to select squad members or just hit next on the play screen just to get to the server browser. Could just make an option to change your squad if you’re just in the server browser. (This could definitely be streamlined and isn’t a major issue. Also if squad change in server browser is implemented please allow for profile slots to quick switch between custom squads between matches.)

* The server browser is amazing, but it defaults to ‘browse’ where it’s more intuitive (with the 2 current options) that it should remember your previous selection. (Maybe it’s just me, but when this game has a bigger player base I don’t think I’ll be using browse much, will probably just stick to my favorite servers. yes, I know it’s just one click, but it’s intuitive that if you want to play quickly and often you wont be changing much between rounds)

* No friends list. (Very minor issue)

* Chat appears to not register the first letter I press after hitting the chat key. (I do have rebound controls for chat though, I always set it to Return/Enter)

* No tooltips for the differences between mercs in the squad screen. (No reason not to unlock all the classes as it is now, but if the unlock costs change at a later date it’d be nice to know what each merc has without having to wiki it. Example: The first time I knew Phoenix had self revive was when I started a match with him)

* No tooltips expressing the differences between screwdrivers, blowtorches and pliers. (Another thing utilizing a wiki would resolve, but this information should be readily accessible to players without having to leave the game screen)

* Hacking Device PDA and Hacking Device Explosion/Spikes? (What even is this?)

* Using the F-Keys to change merc for next spawn wave while dead. (Maybe it’s just me, but my hands don’t move off of my movement controls unless I’m chatting, maybe when I’m dead. While dead are 1-3 utilized? The number keys are closer to my lazy american hand to press without moving it so why move them up a half inch?)

* Esc(Default L) and Tab issues:[ol]
[li]The Limbo screen appears to require mouse input to queue a class for next spawn wave participation, would like to be able to do this on the fly in case I needed to K out after an objective.
[/li][li]The satellite map is pretty hard to read with it’s stark contrast and stage landmarks not being represented.
[/li][li]The players current location and team mate locations are not indicated on the map
[/li][li]Spotted players do not show up on the map.
[/li][li]Chat cannot be seen while looking at the limbo screen.
[/li][/ol]
* Objectives are not obtrusive enough. I found myself in one match unable to find the APC from where I spawned, in no small part because I’m unfamiliar with the maps, but also because the objective marker for it wasn’t close enough to me. As I got close enough to it, which was a respectable distance away, it finally showed up once I faced it (May have just been the map). (An arrow that tracks it around the border of the screen would remedy this)

I hope I can help this game to be the success it should be through my input.

Thanks to aCutePuppy for inviting me, I’ve been bugging him about this game since he started bugging me about it, heh.