Games for Windows Live

(.FROST.) #1

A couple weeks ago I wanted to open a thread to express how extreeeeemely annoyd I was from the whole GFWL registration procedure I had to go through, upon installing Bulletstorm.

It was, by far, the mooost annoying experience I’ve had so far, in regards of registering a game. It took me over an hour to get through the whole thing. To be frank, I had forgotten my password, but that should’ve only taken me 10 more minutes, at most, and not a full hour.

You guys can imagine my joy when I’ve heard, that GFWL is a bout to shut its gates forever. But then “rooki1” had send me a mail, which got me quite into thinking.

I have only two GFWL games(Fall Out 3: GOTY, and Bulletstorm), so I’m not that worried, even though losing Fallout would really $uck. But some guys have it even harder, as seen in this pic here.

(Dthy) #2

GFWL is just terrible. Im glad it’s going.

(.FROST.) #3

That’s for sure, it’s just dreadful, but losing entire games with it sux even more. Some devs will, of course, un-windows-live-patch their games, but not all of them. And since Bethesda has proven a bit of a “fire and forget” mentality in the past, when it came to the games they’ve published, my hopes, for a functioning Fallout 3:GOTY, after the 14.07.14, are pretty low.

Edit: I just saw, that Fallout 3 was actually developed by Bethesda(Bethesda Studios). Maybe that means we can expect a little extra love for their baby. :rolleyes:

(Mustang) #4

How do you see which Steam games are GFWL?

(.FROST.) #5

Uhm, I thought a game is either GFWL, or Steam(or any other game-hub, like Origin, or Battlenet, etc., etc.) It’s either, or; or not? Is this screenshot I’ve posted from Steam?

(.FROST.) #6

I think I got it now. There’s this " + Add A Game" option in the lower left of the Library page on Steam, where you can add any game, or software, manually into your Steam library. And you can obviously also create categories for them.

(rookie1) #7

[QUOTE=.FROST.;479165]…

[/QUOTE]
And I have many of these titles :frowning:

(Dthy) #8

Only affected ones for me are FO3 (which I played too much so I can’t play), DoW II (which I don’t play) and GTA IV (which I don’t play anymore)

(.Chris.) #9

There are mods for both the modern fallouts that remove the need for GFWL, though I think it may affect your ability to play any dlc you bought through it, as I got the GOTY versions it all came included and the mod had no affect. An official patch would be nice though.

(.FROST.) #10

I also have the GOTY, so thanks for the hint, that basically means, that there’s only one game left I have to worry about(Bulletstorm).

(CyanFTW) #11

I nearly have the some worries concerning Rockstar Social Club. Well, Rockstar is one of the most popular (and thanks to GTAV one of the richest) developers out there, but this doesn’t say anything about the support for their Social Club-DRM in the future. Their games like GTA IV and LA Noire will stay available on steam, but what will happen to their online-features ? And how will the drm for upcoming titles look like ? Will have to use them on next-gen consoles, too ?

So many questions and way too less answers, sadly…:rolleyes:

(rookie1) #12

Important Batman Arkham Announcement
17 October - erik.miller
Dear Batman Arkham Fans - Microsoft has begun the process of closing down Windows Live services over the next year. To make sure…

http://steamcommunity.com/games/200260/announcements/detail/1909817119598626547

(.FROST.) #13

Lol, that^ move(in both senses)*, the alienation of the customers with the initial X-BOX ONE “features” and, last but not least, the fact, that Valve is working on the Steambox, doesn’t really work in Microsoft’s favour I’d guess. At least not on the PC-gaming and console front. But they are probably too arrogant to realize, that gamers aren’t dumb and wouldn’t just swallow everything you throw at them. There was a time before MS- consoles, and there could be as well a time post MS-consoles. And with the Steambox coming out with its own OS, even Windows, as a platform for everything, could get redundant for gamers.

But as I’ve said, they’re probably to arrogant to notice, how much they put themselfs in jeopardy by treating gamers like little kiddos with no own opinion and no power. They really don’t respect their customers and a couple years ago they actually got away with that attitude. But everybody else isn’t sleeping and suddenly MS is just another OS manufacturer.

Good bye MS and have fun digging your own grave.

*they are forcing upon their former partners

(CyanFTW) #14

Well, that’s right. But the big problem is that there isn’t hardly any resistance against their attitude. The majority of gamers just swallows this treatment. We, the guys who protest and sometimes boycott products, are clearly the poor minority. Sadly.
However, I can agree with you. I really think and hope that also mainstream gamers are going to “wake up” and and will stop supporting these companies milking cash-cows in damn nasty ways.

(rookie1) #15

List of Games for Windows – Live titles

(rookie1) #16

Microsoft now say they’re “continuing to support the Games for Windows Live service”. Yay?-PC Gamer

(Mustang) #17

Do they never learn?