Easygen help

(Lock Ness Monster) #1

ive just seen how hard it is to make good looking rock walls and ground without it, i need some help, i downloaded Easygen and it asked for a MOD, what is that and how to i find it?

(Mr_Tickles) #2

The MOD is Enemy Territory, as it means “What is the Mod of Quake III that you are using?” Play around with it, I don’t really remember how I got past that as I found it relatively easy to work out if you’re willing to have a go at it yourself.

There have been a hell of a lot of topics on Easygen covering everything that you need to know about it, you just need to do a search. Search for posts by “Grand_Mister_P” ( http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=4413 ) as I seem to remember that he had some good questions on the topic and I answered them with relatively succinct answers. They are only a few replys long so shouldn’t take much effort on your part.

This is a handy thread, read the part about the wolfET templates.
http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&t=8089&start=0
Don’t ask me to summarize it for you as I do not have the time, I’m in uni and going offline shortly. Anyway, I would only end up reading through the thread to do this and you might aswell do it yourself as you would learn more.

(Lock Ness Monster) #3

thanks bigtime, ill read it, when i saw MOD i thought what the crap, thanks for telling me what it was, i should be able to do it now, i had a similar program that allowed me to make land like this, so i shouldnt have to much problems, just needed to know how to start it. :banana:

(Lock Ness Monster) #4

ok, umm i need to correct myself, ive never use a damn thing like this, ok, i was looking at a tutorial i got with it and it says i have to make a heightmap in photoshop, i dont got photoshop and i dont know how to make a height map, is there another way around this?

(GoblinZeroIce) #5

heres a simple solution, theres a help file that comes with it, i dont wanna sound mean but READ IT!!! :banghead:

open ur windows paint, make a map using dark colors as lowest and light colors as the highestpoint on ur map, then save as a bmp, then hit import on easy gen, its as simple as that!

(]UBC[ McNite) #6

Any graphics program does that can do white, black and grey in different scales. Hmmm for the bmp you need it to be greyscale and 8 bit, and you better start with a picsize of about 64x64 pixels or you end up creating the world again :bump:

For a good tutorial on heightmap check this:
http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/tramdesign/resources.html
and look for the tutorial of Tanya Cheex. That one is step by step and you will easily develop a sense for what you can do too.
Also: play around with a terrain after you hit the “modifier” button. And: have a look at the help, there is a list of all the shortcuts available in the prog, that list offers a lot of things to try out.

And: yes you can get a terrain in EasyGen without a heightmap but heightmap is easiest to start with (imo).