Closed Beta Update

(badman) #1

We’re getting closer to the Closed Beta and wanted to give you a quick update on our plans.

Closed Beta prep is in progress

The Closed Beta is tentatively scheduled to start this October. This timeframe is a target and will ultimately depend on the progress we’re making with the Closed Alpha.

All members of the Founder’s Club will get immediate access to the Closed Beta upon launch. You’ve been an integral part of Extraction’s development, and you’ll be first in line for the Closed Beta too. A Closed Beta registration website will launch in the coming days to allow the wider public to apply for the Closed Beta. Since all of you get automatic access to the Closed Beta, you will not need to apply for the Closed Beta.

Your Founder’s Pack will need to be migrated

The Closed Beta (and the live game after that) will be operated by Nexon using their vast infrastructure, which means you’ll need a Nexon America account to play the Closed Beta.

To make this switch as easy as possible, we’re working on a tool that’ll let you switch over to Nexon’s environment. We’ll essentially be linking your Founder’s Pack information to your Nexon account, which will give you all of your in-game items and status, as well as instant access to the Closed Beta.

Here’s what you need to know about the migration:

[ul]
[li]You will be able to link your Founder’s Pack at any time once the tool is in place. [/li][li]All of the contents of your Founder’s Packs, including in-game content and community status, will be going across with you, so you’re not going to lose anything. [/li][li]Nexon accounts can have whatever display name you like, so you can either keep your present Extraction name or change it to something else. [/li][li]Migrating your Pack to Nexon will not affect your ability to keep playing the current Closed Alpha on WarChest’s servers, though the Alpha will obviously be coming to end once the Beta’s ready to go. [/li][/ul]

Closed Beta Launch 15 October

The new Closed Beta launch date is 15 October.

Closed Beta Launch TBC

As noted here, we’ve hit a snag with the Closed Beta launch and neither it nor the migration will be going ahead today. More information and new dates to come.

[strike]Update: CB Starts 1/10, Migration on 30/9

As noted in Nexon’s announcement, the Closed Beta will officially begin on 1 October. Founders will get immediate access on September 30 - this is the day the migration tool will come online.[/strike]

If you have any questions about the Closed Beta or linking your Pack to Nexon’s environment, please post them up.

(Volcano) #2

are we going to see some bigger changes before this happens because there are still some issues that need work, and since its beta those big gameplay changes wont happen

(rookie1) #3

is Nexon will be 1 time only nick change ?

(Mustang) #4

Doubt it.

I just signed up to Nexon and my “Nexon ID” is just my email address, so it would seem to be the case that in-game names are handled separately.

(Aseph) #5

hopefully you guys maintain control over the game and content. sometimes these publishers get crazy with the cash items, crazy clown outfits, overpowered weapons etc…

other than that, hope everything works well, being on nexon will bring a huge player community.

(Seanza) #6

Wow, so soon?

I think the game is pretty far from beta stage right now, so I hope there are some major bug fixes between now and then. I’m talking about all the map bugs, weapon bugs, spectator bugs (you can see your opponent when you’re gibbed!!!).

When we move over to Nexon’s platform, will we have the same sort of servers available and will those of us who have admin still have admin on those servers?

What would happen if Nexon were to abandon ship, how would you control testing? I realise this may be unlikely, but I’m keen to know what the contingency plan is.

Do I need to create a Nexon America account right now before you can migrate it over, or will I be given a Nexon account when my Warchest account migrates?

(stealth6) #7

Another account argh!

I’m looking forward to the announcement on the public forums, got my popcorn ready.

(.FROST.) #8

With Beyond: Two Souls and B:AO coming out, and now XT getting the Beta-Boost, it’s going to be a busy October for me.

PS: Hope some of the blockouts are getting sexy new clothes to shine on this occassion; you just can’t show them around naked as they are. I mean till now it was only family, but then … :wink:

(Seanza) #9

I have another question!

What is the likelihood of you guys still having your own test realm on MPUK servers (like you have now) for other tests before they go live on Nexon’s platform?

(ailmanki) #10

SD has not much choice after PAX.
If they wait to long, the momentum is gone. From marketing point of view its a good choice to start next phase.

I suppose you guys need a broader feedback now, to see if the current alpha players are pointing in the right direction.

Still, while understanding all that, it feels ‘sandpapered by gamers’ while we where told ‘shaped by gamers’, shaped - like a chisel does.
I expected some more drastic changes to be honest. But probably you guys are right and I am part of a minority wishing those things I wish.
So I am curious about the feedback in closed beta, since more people will play that supposedly. And if enough players do actively sandpaper … lol, it can still have a huge effect.

(.FROST.) #11

[QUOTE=ailmanki;470696]
Still, while understanding all that, it feels ‘sandpapered by gamers’ while we where told ‘shaped by gamers’, shaped - like a chisel does.
I expected some more drastic changes to be honest. But probably you guys are right and I am part of a minority wishing those things I wish.
So I am curious about the feedback in closed beta, since more people will play that supposedly. And if enough players do actively sandpaper … lol, it can still have a huge effect.[/QUOTE]

I think most/many can relate to what you were saying about “shaped by gamers” and so on and so forth, BUT the irony is, that even though maybe 90% will actually agree on that one, they usually have different opinions when it comes to everything else; wich causes this situation of “not so much shaped by gamers” in the first place.

With other words; most of the time you got at least 2-3 opposing factions on each topic and if SD would decide everytime to change XT in the favour of one of those factions, the others would be genuinely pi$$ed; therefore they just can’t “shape” it in just one way, but have to consider everything and everybody else as well. And that means, under the bottom-line, that they can only change things gradually and p-off everybody who had expected major changes in their “favour”.

And then there’s also this, not so unimportant fact, that maybe some of the SD guys themselfs may be gamers as well and may have their own idea of how XT should play(be played); and they may not toss around every single one of those ideas in the forums; but decide to put them in the next patch and wait for reasonable/constructive feedback instead.

(iwound) #12

So we may have two versions of xT running, Alpha and Beta?

(Mustang) #13

I would say it feels more like “Shaped by gamers = We haz ECHO”

I can already imagine the possible responses:

• We’ve changed more than you know based on feedback
  • Remember you guys are only the minority of players

(Maybe I’m being a little unfair today, but Smooth’s personal thoughts have made me super sad :()

(stealth6) #14

[QUOTE=Mustang;470729]I would say it feels more like “Shaped by gamers = We haz ECHO”

(Maybe I’m being a little unfair today, but Smooth’s personal thoughts have made me super sad :()[/QUOTE]

Why are you so surprised? Mitsuhiko was already saying what smooth said somewhere near the beginning of the alpha… (Pretty sure there were mentions of it in the SDK thread too)

(Seanza) #15

[QUOTE=Mustang;470729]I would say it feels more like “Shaped by gamers = We haz ECHO”

(Maybe I’m being a little unfair today, but Smooth’s personal thoughts have made me super sad :()[/QUOTE]

I think you’ve just shaved off the usual fluff you carry around, sometimes I do that too. I fully support the SD guys and this game, but some things I read just make my shed my fluffy coat and bare my true, gritty opinion.

Do I want to believe that this “Shaped by gamers” spiel is legit? Yes.
Could I put my life on it that it’s completely true? Absolutely not.

It’s definitely a marketing phrase, but it could end up being the one point people hold onto when things go down the swanny “You said this was shaped by gamers, what kind of gamers exactly? BLIND ONES?” etc. etc.

(potty200) #16

I am just worried that this is too soon. As long as you run teh closed beta before it becomes open beta for a LONG time to get the bugs and gameplay spot on. I guess there is no issue. My main concern is that it becomes openly avialible to potential players and they see another game that is incomplete or just not good enough to play.

I hope I am wrong though and I wish everyone luck during this change! Guess all good things come to an end and I have to say the alpha has been one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in gaming so thanks for everything so far. Met some awesome people and managed to speak to quite a few SD members along the way.

GOOD LUCK!

(Anti) #17

I think the biggest issue we’ve found from using that phrase so far is that many players feel that ‘shaped by gamers’ means ‘designed by gamers’, that because we say the game will be shaped by gamers that we will implement everything they suggest. That was never going to be the case and isn’t particularly practical, even the current very ‘tight’ fan group still disagree on so many things.

(rookie1) #18

Is Closed Beta will have a forum or they will share the same one we have now ?

(Seanza) #19

Extraction is like Play-Doh. We shape it, but you design it. Right?

(Mustang) #20

If I add food colouring is that part of the design or the shaping?