I Am Street Fighter - 25th Anniversary Documentary

(.FROST.) #1

//youtu.be/2gZBITO5GwI

(DarkangelUK) #2

Awesome stuff, knew the parry wouldn’t be left out there. I was addicted to SF2, I bought SF4:AE during a Steam sale, need to get back into it again.

(.FROST.) #3

Here’s some more beat-em up stuff, just in case you haven’t seen it already. I’m so in love with those games now. Mortal Kombat 9, Super Streetfighter 4 AE, Streetfighter X Tekken and last but not least, Injustice. Can’t believe I entirely ignored that genre for so incredibly long.

As you may have noticed, those are exclusively 2 1/2D titles; I simply prefer the much clearer set up. I also prefer the visual style of those^ games.

I considered to try the Tekken, Virtua Fighter and DOA stuff, but I’m just not too convinced by 3D beat em ups; as far as I can tell from the YT vids. I also don’t like the Tekken aesthetic too much. I can cope with it in Streetfighter X Tekken, -since it basically looks like a a bit grittier version of SSF4AE-, but not in the original games.

And Virtua Fighter looks extremely boring, as if there was no real concept behind the visuals at all, except maybe for making it look realistic; but in a very dry and not very high fidelity fashion. And DOA appears to be something for guys who are way too busy for “reading” the Playboy after a beat em up match, instead they can do both at the same time in this game; not enough to grab my attention though.

http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/37313-Mortal-Kombat-9-the-movie-the-game-the-movie

(DarkangelUK) #4

I never liked Tekken at all, the whole ‘limb’ system just annoyed me. The only 3D fighter I liked actually was the Virtua Fighter series but I did end up getting bored with that. I remember playing co-op mode in SF:Alpha with Ryu and Ken vs Bison, me and my brother literally sat up till the next morning playing that mode… we managed to land a 47 hit combined combo on him.

(Runeforce) #5

The only thing that got beat up, by beat’m’ups’, was the thumbs. Don’t make me relive the painfull memories! :smiley:

(.FROST.) #6

Yeah, that’s very true. After my first day of genuine “Super Streetfighter IV AE” action I got a nice little blister on my thumb. And even though I saw many(yet far less than ones with a stick) top tier players using a pad* I ordered me a fightstick. I mean there are so many games wich require specific peripherals, why not go with a fightstick for a fighting-game?

*Most of them were MK9 players. I don’t know if a saw a SSF4AE player with a pad. I think Streetfighter is a bit more demanding in this(crazy complex combos) regard, than MK.

So I bought me the stick below and haven’t regretted it yet:

(DarkangelUK) #7

From day 1 of SF2 I had always been a Ryu fan, I’ve decided in SF4:AE to go with Ibuki. She has some sweet chain combos and quite a lot of knockdown moves… just need to work on my rusty timing and getting used to a crap 360 pad. Tempted to get a proper SF pad, but not sure I want to spend more on a pad than I did for the game!

(.FROST.) #8

I haven’t heard much good about those SF pads. They seem to work pretty well at the beginning, but are quite prone to fall apart after a couple weeks of decent button mashing.

Found this nice vid from Fanatiq; it’s not about 360Pad vs SF-Pad, but nevertheless quite interesting.

//youtu.be/g1wYEtr0a0w

(.FROST.) #9

That match. Too awesome. I was for neither of those guys, but it still was very tense. Just watch it guys, great fighting.

//youtu.be/_yb-5VNlPBY

(DarkangelUK) #10

I must admit I do love gaming on a PC, I spent most of last night adding custom skins to chars in SF. Got Ibuki as Taki from DOA and Juri as Mileena from Mortal Kombat. It’s almost tempting to get Street FIghter X Tekken just for the Blanka Predator skin!

(.FROST.) #11

[QUOTE=DarkangelUK;468304]I must admit I do love gaming on a PC, I spent most of last night adding custom skins to chars in SF. Got Ibuki as Taki from DOA and Juri as Mileena from Mortal Kombat. It’s almost tempting to get Street FIghter X Tekken just for the Blanka Predator skin!

[/QUOTE]

That’s undoubtfuly the PC’s biggest strength; the insane amount of mods, skins and maps you can get for all sorts of games and simulations. The Predator skin is definitely a good example for that; very well done. I have SFXTekken, but only on PS3.

PS: Yesterday I found Virtual Fighter 5 in a budget bin. Even though I was never into 3D fighting games I thought I might should give it a shot; especially, because you:wink: said, that that’s the only 3D beat-em-up you didn’t found too bad. Well, turned out, that that game is so incredibly counter-intuitve in regards of its controls, that I didn’t even wanted to bother getting into it; especially because I feared, that would destroy all of the “hand-eye-coordination-muscle-memory thing” I’ve developed so far for SSF4AE. Actually a reason why I don’t even play Injustice or MK9*, even though I own both.

As a result, VF5 is one of only a few games I actually threw in the trash, even though I felt kinda guilty doing so; because after all a lot of people had put a lot of hard work, thought and also creativity into that game. But I felt it would kinda stain the row of videogame gems(subjectively spoken) on my shelf. I also threw away DVD’s for the same matter; when I felt they were a miss-buy and shouldn’t be sitting right between my Alien collections and cineastic milestones like Lightsleeper, Romeo is Bleeding and True Romance.

*yet I so can’t wait to do so. I’m just trying to get a bit more solid in SF, so MK9 wouldn’t wipe my meager SF-fighting “skills” entirely.

(DarkangelUK) #12

I hope you weren’t trying to play it like a 2D fighter :stuck_out_tongue: the mechanics are completely different. VF is more quick fire combos, parry’s, reversales and air juggles etc. I admit though the last VF game I played was 3 so could be that 5 has lost all its attraction and is indeed ****.

(.FROST.) #13

Well, as you obviously already figured, I pretty much did exactly that:wink: I should’ve become suspicious about the game and its mechanics at the latest, when I saw people using a “hitbox” to play it; in EVO matches; AND WON!!!

//youtu.be/ABWITKtmKlg

Also, some still images of such a thing:

https://www.google.de/search?um=1&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&hl=de&tbm=isch&q=hitbox+controller&revid=324545168&sa=X&ei=468pUuWmBeLG7Aa8soH4Ag&ved=0CFIQ1QIoAQ&biw=1203&bih=707