Morality in FPS games

(.FROST.) #1

I don’t care if you call me a biased moron, or a moraliser, cause maybe I am. I just saw this CoD:Ghosts MP trailer in the latest of TCB’s Content Patches. I love FPS games, I can handle gore, I even appreciate it when it makes sense in the context*. Actually there was a time when I had the opinion, that when a sci-fi, or horror movie, is not rated R, then it’s no good; still have that opinion to a certain extend. But those genres are somehow fantasy, like very dark fairy tales(Alien is prolly the best example).

Sure I’ve heard of guys which joined the Marines because of “Aliens(1986)”, but I don’t think that it ever occured to Cameron, that his movie would’ve such an impact on young lads. Whereas the guys behind CoD are fully aware of their influence on kids. I mean they are working together with real life military-personal to get everything right and in exchange they have to convey a certain agenda; Tom Clancy style.

What really sets me up atm, that is this momentary “War can be fun for everyone” zeitgeist. CoD is so realistic and not too far from reality(visually). War is not like going on a safari…

Playing it on a regular basis can be quite influencial for 15year old boys. No, not in a gun rampage way, definitely not, but in a signing up for the Army kinda way. AND then going to War with a completely deranged idea of what War really is, or can be. And it’s definitely not cool to real-life headshot a person, or to drop ordnance and taking the risk of causing huge collateral damage.

All that must be done, but when you are in your right mind that’s nothing you’d like to do just because you’ve seen how cool it looked in a videogame, but sometimes it’s simply to late when they find that out. If you’ve done something like that, you should know that you did it for the right reasons, even if it all went down south. BUT NOT because you saw that sexy assault gal in that CoD trailer.

I know, guys are going to War for all the wrong reasons since the beginning of time, but I just wanted to make clear how much I hate that modern military stuff, even though I “love” the FPS genre. I mean nobody would sign up for the Leathernecks because he played Loadout like mad, right? That’s why I think “The Game Formerly Known As Dirty Bomb”, could still use a bit of a “unreal”(comical) makeover. Just gradualy and not only visually. Also in the way character movement looks from a 3rd person view and with crazy a$$ V-says; everything that makes sure that this game is not about killing in the first place, even though we are enjoying our bada$$ weaponary,

*(Dead Space/Alien/Mortal Kombat/Fallout/Doom, etc.,etc.,)

Just look at min2:38. Sorry, but stuff like that(the nice assault gal and her sexy look) is more manipulative than the entire DOOM 3 .

//youtu.be/K2uN1gwxM8o

(stealth6) #2

All we need is good parenting and good education.

(Dormamu) #3

Sometimes the skills you develop in games can save your life or others :smiley:

Hans Jørgen Olsen is my Hero!

In most of FPS games and probably at the core of RTCW/ET/ETQW, the most important part you learned was teamplay and “team first, player second”. you played first for your team and lastly for your own gratification.
So what DB/Xt hopefully can teach you, is not that you are immortal, morality or that you can do everything in real life, but how to think strategically in a tense situation, keep calm, and put the needs of the team before the needs of yourself. And that is what we have always used games for, be it team sports or in training for war.
Imo, the holding hands and patting on the back in modern games can do more harm than a manipulative teaser with hot girls. :smiley:
Look what they used to trick you in joining the army in the old days

:smiley:

(Nail) #4

males don’t learn to protect females by playing any game, video or otherwise, it’s hardwired, especially for family members.
my girls knew that me meeting their boyfriends would include the words 800 meters and muzzleflash