How does the publishing deal affect backers

(Rushster) #1

Having sunk a decent amount of change into DB, how does this deal now affect backers who backed this early on? Some clarification would be good from Splash Damage on this one as I am assuming that now Nexon is involved as a publisher, what happens to the cash that has already been pumped in by the fans?

(badman) #2

You’ll get everything included in your Founder’s Pack. Your digital goods carry right over to Extraction, and you’ll receive any physical goods at game launch (though we’ll do our best to get those to everyone well before then).

Founders will also be first in line for the Closed Beta when that’s ready to launch.

(jamiewalker) #3

Don’t go breaking my heart

(Runeforce) #4

SD keeps creative control over the game. AFAIK this does not affect backers i.e. nothing’s changed.

(potty200) #5

[QUOTE=badman;465707]You’ll get everything included in your Founder’s Pack. Your digital goods carry right over to Extraction, and you’ll receive any physical goods at game launch (though we’ll do our best to get those to everyone well before then).

Founders will also be first in line for the Closed Beta when that’s ready to launch.[/QUOTE]

My T-Shirt is going to be different now! :o

(DB Genome editor) #6

Will the founders mercs remain exclusives? They are all over the graphics for the teaser site and the Twitter page, which doesn’t feel right: either some newcomers will be disappointed when they find out that the game’s poster boys and girl are not available to them, or founders are getting robbed of their promised exclusive…:frowning:

(montheponies) #7

Aye, that’ll certainly make me lose sleep…

(Mustang) #8

Well the pre-release packs will most likely be available until launch so everyone will have the chance to know about them.

Would be nice if the marketing material did say something like “Limited edition skins are only available from pre-release packs.”, then it’s completely clear.

(Sheza) #9

[QUOTE=Mustang;466362]Well the pre-release packs will most likely be available until launch so everyone will have the chance to know about them.

Would be nice if the marketing material did say something like “Limited edition skins are only available from pre-release packs.”, then it’s completely clear.[/QUOTE]
The marketing material for the game is lacking because the reality is that they’ve chocked up this partnership quickly and have worked hard on whacking out a playable PAX demo. Everything else is just a placeholder for now - they haven’t thought much through.

EDIT: Oh and hello Mustang long time no see.

(Nail) #10

[QUOTE=Sheza;467102]The marketing material for the game is lacking because the reality is that they’ve chocked up this partnership quickly and have worked hard on whacking out a playable PAX demo. Everything else is just a placeholder for now - they haven’t thought much through.

EDIT: Oh and hello Mustang long time no see.[/QUOTE]

You realize some of us have been playing in Alpha for 10 months ?

(Sheza) #11

As Dirty Bomb, yes. Of course I realise that.

You realise I was referring to the point made by the OP and also by Mustang? The publishing deal was quick and everyone was working on PAX so they have no time to clarify marketing things.

(Nail) #12

I don’t know how quick the deal was and neither does anyone outside of SD and Nexon, we’ve known for a while it has a different publisher for Russia and CIS. There was no reason to believe they wouldn’t cut a deal with other publisher(s) for the rest of the world. As for PAX, other than packing favorite jammies, probably not much else to do for SD

(Sheza) #13

Well for one they had to create a PAX-playable (i.e. dumbed down) demo, and then they had to change all of the logos and references in the game from Dirty Bomb to Extraction, I imagine. Then they had to design the art for the T-Shirts that are being given away. My point was that everything is up in the air at the moment, expect press material to be lacking in detail because Nexon probably aren’t sure themselves how to deal with backers.

Regarding a deal for other publishers, I thought the original intention was to publish the game mostly on Warchest or w/e Splash Damage’s platform thing is.

(Nail) #14

none of the name change stuff is done yet, all references are to DB, I believe the only last minute thing was confirming the rights to “Extraction” as a name in relevant regions

demo was easy, map already existed

(Sheza) #15

[QUOTE=Nail;467174]none of the name change stuff is done yet, all references are to DB, I believe the only last minute thing was confirming the rights to “Extraction” as a name in relevant regions

demo was easy, map already existed[/QUOTE]
Can you provide a reason for the lack of clarity in the marketing material then? It’s easy to come up with reasons why it isn’t one reason or another.

I don’t think the rights to Extraction have even been confirmed yet, they said that “with Nexon’s help we believe we can do it”. Although having said that, it’s entirely possible that Nexon simply didn’t like the name for reasons previously mentioned (e.g. Dirty Bomb is a bit terrorist style, isn’t it?)

(Mustang) #16

I doubt it’s for this reason because in pre-pre-alpha it was also called Extraction, way before Nexon were involved.

(Sheza) #17

I realise that - but what I’m saying is perhaps Nexon didn’t like the name, so SD suggested the original name and laid out their reasons as to why they changed it, and Nexon said ‘No that sounds better, we’ll make it work’.

(Kendle) #18

My understanding is SD wanted to use Extraction right from the get go, but there were (copyright / licensing?) issues with the name, so they adopted DirtyBomb as a placeholder. Whatever the issues they had using Extraction have now been resolved, so they’ve gone back to it. I don’t think the link-up with Nexon has had any impact on the name.

(Sheza) #19

If you read the press release, SD says that ‘with Nexon’s help’ they can secure the rights to the trademark.