Mortal Kombat 9 -the movie/ the game/the movie.....

(.FROST.) #1

Couldn’t resist, just ordered it, and since I was already on it, I packed “Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition” right on top of it; for the good ol’ times and to play on my new console in the most “natural” way possible*.

*No matter how great TLoU is(and it is frickin great), the controls are a huuuge pain for me; it’s really no fun shooting/aiming at stuff; at least not now, prolly a couple months down the line, when I’m more used to the sticks, I’ll see things a little differently, but as for now I’m looking forward to genuine 2½D fighting action.

//youtu.be/Xyr0SX9Uhgc

//youtu.be/V5v2-wtutYI

(stealth6) #2

Both great games, MK is my favorite, but I’m no where near as good as that guy in that vid :o

(.FROST.) #3

I can’t tell you guys, how much fun it is to play beat-em ups again. I completely abandoned that genre since, I guess, 15 years now; especially, because it’s more of a console genre. But damn is it fun. I already have a big fat blister on my thumb.
I was a huge fan of MK, back in the days; simply because it was more brutal and had a more realistic artstyle, than SF. Now I have the newest iterations of both games here, but I’ve only played SF so far(only peeked into MK’s tutorial). MK looks awesome, but I really love SSF4’s style now, even though it’s even more different from MK’s now, than it was 20 years back.

Also ordered me this baby here:

http://www.amazon.de/PS3-Fighting-Stick-Real-Arcade/dp/B004TECRGS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_vg_2

just to get the real arcade feeling and no more sore thumbs :wink:

PS: The cool thing with SF is, that there is no real brutality(I mean like in MK); they even excluded the effed up faces from the characters that’ve lost; no blood, no remaining scars, or beat out teeth. Not that I have a problem with those, but because of that I can even play it with my daughter and she really likes it, especially playing the girls. She actually started to write down the combo inputs from “Cammy”; she was kinda impressed by the ultra combos:wink: It’s not exactly a kids game, but here in Germany you can legally play it from 12 years on, so wtf? The real life news on TV are way more brutal.

(stealth6) #4

[QUOTE=.FROST.;463909]Also ordered me this baby here:

http://www.amazon.de/PS3-Fighting-Stick-Real-Arcade/dp/B004TECRGS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_vg_2

just to get the real arcade feeling and no more sore thumbs :wink:

PS: The cool thing with SF is, that there is no real brutality(I mean like in MK); they even excluded the effed up faces from the characters that’ve lost; no blood, no remaining scars, or beat out teeths. Not that I have a problem with those, but because of that I can even play it with my daughter and she really likes it, especially playing the girls. She actually started to write down the combo inputs from “Cammy”; she was kinda impressed by the ultra combos:wink: It’s not exactly a kids game, but here in Germany you can legally play it from 12 years on, so wtf? The real life news on TV are way more brutal.[/QUOTE]

Lol, pretty crazy ordering that straight away :o

I agree on the point about SF being better for kids. I have the same problem. The only bad points in SF are the sexualized female characters and kids can sometimes get really stressed out when they loose or can’t beat a level.

(.FROST.) #5

[QUOTE=stealth6;463938]Lol, pretty crazy ordering that straight away :o

I agree on the point about SF being better for kids. I have the same problem. The only bad points in SF are the sexualized female characters and kids can sometimes get really stressed out when they loose or can’t beat a level.[/QUOTE]

I can only agree with you on all your points.

Concerning point #1; it’s really crazy, but it’s almost like I don’t have control over such decisions:o

The over sexualization is not specific to SF, or the beat-em up genre, you also have that in many RPGs and FPS games; even Starcraft has it to a certain extend, but I understand your point, SF is quite explicit in that regard*

I can also get quite stressed out, when I can’t beat a level; “Seth”, for example, is a real a$$…le, though I’ve finally beat that b***h.

*(Japanese dev guys have definitelly a fetish with womens legs, that’s for sure:wink: I’m more a Mortal Kombat guy in that regard and prefer the two arguments above the waist line)

(.FROST.) #6

Just stumbled over this(trusty Angry). He has the same opinion like me(or vice versa) on MK9’s SP. The story mode is just so cinematic, it’s basically the best MK movie ever. I was really amazed when I saw that^ video in the first post. I mean there’s no doubt, that MK is a PvP game, but the fact that they’ve so profoundly implemented a overarching SP campaign into that game and didn’t just feed us some sloppy a$$ character-sheets, really makes me cheer NetherRealms for their passion and love for their franchise and the genre as a whole.

//youtu.be/R13TY1uImcY

I’m really a newly born disciple of the beat-em-up genre now. I don’t know, but I’m completelly into that atm. I love the purity of it, especially in the 2D/2½D beat em ups. And I can’t think of a videogame genre, that lends itself so naturally to being an e-sport, like the fighting game genre. You need no spec cam, everybody sees everything at the same time and add to that, that it is highly competetive by nature and the rounds are quite short and intense. I had as much fun watching all the EVO stuff on YT as I had playing the games themselfs.

I’m no real-life sports guy. I mean I like doing sports myself(cycling, working out, the usual things), but I wouldn’t watch soccer or boxing or anything like that on TV, EVER; I just don’t care. I haven’t watched much e-sport vids either, simply because I haven’t played much e-sport titles in the past; and watching matches of games you haven’t even played is kinda pointless to a certain degree, when it comes to e-sports. But I used to watch a lot of game reviews, playthroughs and stuff like that. YouTube has basically replaced my TV programm.

And somehow I stumbled over this MK vid in my first post and, I’ve said that already, it is basically a movie, with extremely awesome fighting scenes. Aside from the ueber-cool moves and the gory fatalities it’s the sounds that make this game so awesome. I don’t know, but MK’s sounds are just a pleasure to listen to, and I’m not even remotely a sound guy, or someone who’d put his focus on the audio part of a game. But in MK9 the sounds are just amazing: they alone are worth watching the vids.

PS: I’ve never looked at Johnny C. as being a cool guy, simply because his appearance is that of a class “A” douche. But in this iteration of the franchise I just love him(as a character); he’s still a douche, but somehow charismatic. I’d never had expected, that they’d start the story with this worn out, c-movie actor, who has all too striking similarities to a certain belgian martial artist who also happens to be a parody of himself by now. But they did and it’s just so much fun to watch.