Special Ability Suggestion

(montheponies) #1

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but a couple of ‘fun’ specials, that are less lethal and more fun came to mind;

GLUE - Either an AoE that slows the enemy running through it - or alternatively a direct hit just coats the enemy player for a period of time…

on a roll with this so lets try the opposite;

GREASE - same again, except you skid in the direction of travel in which you entered with limited control on direction and a distinct inability to aim…

i’m only half kidding btw…:infiltrator:

(Nail) #2

Spider Web

(1-800-NOTHING) #3

Lagging Station - creates lag within a certain radius.

(Dormamu) #4

A “replay” button that sends all shots to a given location (Zorg ZF-1)
Ricochet bullets (Lawgiver)
Gun-Kata :smiley:

(Volcano) #5

(Ashog) #6

I’d suggest some mirv grenades (see QWTF, Borderlands 2) and nail grenades (see QWTF) as special abilities, but hey, nades are unpopular with the devs nowadays.

(Mustang) #7

Smoke grenade.

(Nail) #8

definitely needed

(Raviolay) #9

Medic’s could do with one to cover a suicide run to heal.

(iwound) #10

spiked medpack.

victim who takes it trips out severely and starts to see other players as clowns.

(Ashog) #11

This is not even a question - it’s a covops must. And I think (not sure) that devs agreed on making it later.

Medic’s poison knife causing some ebola epidemy in team transferred by player collisions would be also cool.

(Protekt1) #12

Security station, place all metal in the plastic bin before passing through the metal detector. By random you will be strip searched for contraband.

(1-800-NOTHING) #13

i think the currently existing recon abilities could do with some tweaking. so here are some random ideas (but i must warn you; none of them are any good):
-TEC can be remote detonated without viewing the camera.
-the cloaking (aka. active camoflage) cancels the “detected” status from both passive spotting and heartbeat sensor. (presently it seems that both passive spotting and HBS disables the ability to cloak, and HBS also uncloaks cloaked players. that’s a “heads i win - tails you lose” kind of scenario.)
-maybe even a small “anti detection” aura/purge to make active camoflage more of a teamplay oriented ability.

(1-800-NOTHING) #14

recon ability: trip sensor.
deployed essentially like an etqw tripmine (limited range, must connect to another surface).
no visible laser beam, but rather a small but visible photo sensitive cell type thing. tripped whenever anyone (friend or foe) crosses it.
plays a small beep locally to the owner - no, not a looping martyrdom beep. more like (un)locking a car electronically.
possible to remove it (hack or disarm?) without alerting the owner.

(stickybath) #15

You do realize that grenades have only been temporarily removed in order to better see the shortcomings of different characters and how to balance them. They will most likely be re-implemented in some manner once they are more balanced. This isn’t SDs first FPS and it’s really frustrating to see people spreading stuff that simply isn’t true.

(INF3RN0) #16

Anyone else interested in the idea of cross-class counter play specifically in terms of abilities? I think it could add a very interesting dynamic to the game without really interfering with the base gun game.

Basically imagine that each class has a unique feature that is either an alt use of an item or a passive effect. Here’s a list of some things that I can think of, so just connect it to whatever class you think it might be most appropriate for; I’ll list my thoughts on that part as well.

Examples;

1. (Recon? or Engineer?) Take control of all enemy ‘placed items’ (turrets, mines, healing station, ammo rack, etc) via a “mobile hack tool” that requires the player to be in X proximity and takes X seconds. The hack perhaps only lasts for a fixed time period, after which the items revert to non-friendly and must be destroyed/re-hacked.

2. (Soldier? or FOPS?) ‘Fire resistant’ meaning they take less damage from artillery, napalm, or airstrikes- maybe grenades also if they remain a special.

3. (Recon emp nade? or Engineer? or FOPS?) Explosive items temporarily disable the use of special abilities for X seconds.

4. (Recon? or Engineer?) Healing rates are slower for X seconds when impacted or in range of- specific class weaponry (sniper) or items (mines/etc)??

These are just some ideas that sprung to mind, but I’d love to see some class relative ability counter play like this across all classes. They would have to be realistic and not overly intrusive, but offer opportunity for situational plays to be made. It wouldn’t weaken or disable classes, but just make playing each class feel more unique and open to more creative opportunities. If anyone has any thoughts on this or has similar ideas please share.

(DarkangelUK) #17

Disorientation Gas Grenade: When affected, your controls and your mouse invert for a short period.

Depression Grenade: When affected it sends you into a depressed state for a short period, every shot you fire shoots yourself in the head.

Shock Gun with ability to chain shocks: Fires a burst of electricity that stuns the enemy for a brief period (think the shock sticks in CoD). If the enemy is standing near one of their team mates, the shock jumps to them too, will chain to everyone with a small AoR. I’m determined to make people think twice about grouping together too often!

(.N.E.R.D.) #18

Holoduke !!! :wink:

(RasteRayzeR) #19
  • claymore
  • satchel charge
  • a real camo (the current one is useless)
  • drone
  • poisoned rounds
  • incendiary rounds
  • armor aura
  • crossbow
  • fake death
  • foot kick (great for anal fraggs and gibbing)
  • thermal vision
  • flamethrower spec.
  • gravity reversing grenades
  • bear traps
  • frag artillery (one shot, random seeds in a round area, small delay)
  • knife throwing
  • cyber-hacking (hack turrets and mines to fire/blow on their own team)

(Volcano) #20

i think this was already in a long time ago, which is what the covie’s light weight knife model was for