New player, Curious about the mouse sensitivity.

(Bitey) #1

Hey, first time post and feedback :smiley: Overall really digging the game play. However my ocd nature about getting the exact mouse sensitivity as led me to ask the question:

How does the sensitivity in this game compare to Rawinput of a Source/Quake game?

If I utilize something in source/quake as 1.5 @ 500 dpi with 21inch/55cm to 360. How would I match that with the sensitivity values given in Dirty Bomb?

(adhesive) #2

the scaling is different in the unreal engine, anyway try setting your sensitivity to 19 that should be pretty close but you might need to tweak it a bit.

(Bitey) #3

is that 19 via the console command setsensitivity? Because I was somewhat close around the 4.9-5.9 zone, is there any kind of forumla that would help me get an exact match?

Say that
I use 1.5 in Sourcegames @ 500 dpi for 21 inches of movement
And in DB use (Youā€™re number here) at 500 dpi for 21 inches of movement

Then I can find the multiplier using math stuffs :slight_smile:

(adhesive) #4

woops didnt think about dpi try setsensetivity 5.6

(tokamak) #5

Doesnā€™t the UE also have acceleration as a parameter?

(adhesive) #6

tokamak your sig made me cry with laughter BWAHAHAHA

(Ashog) #7

500 dpi?? a bit low iā€™d sayā€¦

I use 5400

But yeah, thatā€™s the eternal debate having no real answers or proofs.

(Evil-Doer) #8

[QUOTE=Ashog;459100]500 dpi?? a bit low iā€™d sayā€¦

I use 5400

But yeah, thatā€™s the eternal debate having no real answers or proofs.[/QUOTE]

WOW 5400 dpi??? that is so ridiculously high, in my opinion! :slight_smile: I use 400

(Ashog) #9

Ridiculously? :slight_smile: Why yes, as a mathematical symbol, 5400 is usually a higher number than 500, yes.

(Nail) #10

5400 dpi means 1/3 pixel movement

(rline) #11

Does this game use raw mouse input? If not, is there any chance at adding this as an option?

Iā€™d like to be able to use raw mouse input with the same sensitivity value as the Quake/Goldsource/Source engine games. A way to input an exact sensitivity value in the GUI would be nice, as well.

(INF3RN0) #12

Iā€™ve noticed that DPI does really strange stuff for DB. Iā€™ve gone from 800-1600-3200 and found them all to have a completely different feel at matched sensitivity settings. TBH I think the mouse issue has to do with stable FPS.

(Wezelkrozum) #13

IF (and I say if because I doubt this is true) IF the mouse mechanics are somewhat the same as in the UDK Editor map preview. Then the received mouse input gets multiplied by an unknown number that gets calculated from the FPS. Which means that a low framerate results in a fast rotation and a high framerate in a slow rotation. But I say IF with a big doubt because I think it doesnā€™t works this way in DB.

(Ashog) #14

Ehm what??

(Mustang) #15

I think people say itā€™s high dpi with low sens for track aim and low dpi with high sens for twitch aim, which you use is personal preference.

My mouse is locked at 800 dpi which iirc is good for 5"/360+, which is fine because I use about 10"/360.

(Mustang) #16

[QUOTE=rline;459118]Does this game use raw mouse input? If not, is there any chance at adding this as an option?

Iā€™d like to be able to use raw mouse input with the same sensitivity value as the Quake/Goldsource/Source engine games. A way to input an exact sensitivity value in the GUI would be nice, as well.[/QUOTE]
Is is already using raw input, the problem is that mouse movement is translated into an unreal angle unit which isnā€™t going to have the same scale as idtech, so the sensitivity values are never going to be the same. I believe in unreal itā€™s stored as a short int, no idea what idtech uses.

Text input of sensitivity in GUI is apparently on the todo list.

(Bitey) #17

So, perhaps if I find the diffrences between the unreal unit, and the quake/source units maybe I would be able to use fancy math to solve for creating a perfect translated sensitivity? :open_mouth:

Right now, Iā€™m sitting at 6.2 @ 500 dpi in DirtyBomb for something close to 21inches of movement.
Thatā€™s almost the same as my current 1.53 @ 500 dpi for Quake/Source engine games.

Now, Iā€™m no math genius and itā€™s probably all wrong but Iā€™d like people to test who are OCD about matching their sensitives across games. Multiplying 1.53 times 4.0522 gives me 6.2(roughly). So perhaps the ratio between a Quake and unreal senesitivity is 1:4.0522 thatā€™s probably not perfect, because I found my sensitivity by eyeballing it in game.

Re-learning maths is fun, and hard to communicate clearly when you donā€™t really know what you are doing :c

(ImageOmega) #18

[QUOTE=Bitey;459163]So, perhaps if I find the diffrences between the unreal unit, and the quake/source units maybe I would be able to use fancy math to solve for creating a perfect translated sensitivity? :open_mouth:

Right now, Iā€™m sitting at 6.2 @ 500 dpi in DirtyBomb for something close to 21inches of movement.
Thatā€™s almost the same as my current 1.53 @ 500 dpi for Quake/Source engine games.

Now, Iā€™m no math genius and itā€™s probably all wrong but Iā€™d like people to test who are OCD about matching their sensitives across games. Multiplying 1.53 times 4.0522 gives me 6.2(roughly). So perhaps the ratio between a Quake and unreal senesitivity is 1:4.0522 thatā€™s probably not perfect, because I found my sensitivity by eyeballing it in game.

Re-learning maths is fun, and hard to communicate clearly when you donā€™t really know what you are doing :c[/QUOTE]

Why donā€™t you just adjust the sensitivity until your 360 is the same? I actually like a slightly smaller 360 for Dirty Bomb than I do in Quake so I took that into consideration.

(Mustang) #19

The correct ratio is actually 1:4.004977777ā€¦ (7 re-occuring)

Hope it helps.

(Bitey) #20

Awesomely awesome Mustang. Iā€™m really surprised I was so close on my first ā€œFeel it outā€ attempt. :slight_smile: