BLOCKOUT WEDNESDAYS: Canary Wharf v21216

(Smooth) #1

Hi all,

Every Wednesday evening we’ll be opening up the VIP Test servers to everyone in the Alpha with the aim of getting more feedback on the latest in-development map, Canary Wharf.

I’m starting a new thread for each new version since the map is regularly updated. The old feedback thread is here for reference.

Both VIP Test servers will be open from roughly 5pm (UTC) until Thursday mornings. If you do give the map a go, please try and leave feedback along these lines:

[ol]
[li]Which part of the map/objective you like most and why?
[/li][li]Which part of the map/objective you dislike most and why?
[/li][li]Do you find any particular part of the map useless?
[/li][li]Which route/position do you find the most useful when attacking/defending particular objectives?
[/li][li]What tactics (if any) do you employ when trying to complete/defend particular objectives?
[/li][/ol]

(rookie1) #2

Didnt play CW for a while (timing) all i can say …respawn team dispersion is Terrible :frowning:
didnt even try to do objectives was just not fun

(BomBaKlaK) #3

absolutely ! No fun …
I like the vertical layout, but after the first one, obj design are just boring …

(Hundopercent) #4

Which part of the map/objective you like most and why?

I guess the elevators? If they worked. I don’t like really anything about this map.

Which part of the map/objective you dislike most and why?

The middle and ending are by far the absolute worst part of the map. The objectives are very Brinklike in the sense that defense spawns behind cover overlooking the objective which is atrocious and will almost always end in a stalemate in SW.

Do you find any particular part of the map useless?

The elevator upper area. Gives you a partial over look of mostly nothing.

Which route/position do you find the most useful when attacking/defending particular objectives?

Only 1 position is needed. Sniper.

What tactics (if any) do you employ when trying to complete/defend particular objectives?

First objective is to control the top.
Middle objective is to sniper and meat grinder onto the console.
Final objectives are just miserable. Stand around this rocket for 1 min. Touch this PDA for 5 seconds, now grab 4 milk jugs and run it back to a train. Mind you it’s in the complete open AND you have to stop to pick up the objective. Sniping is a cake walk for this part.

This map is near White Chapel level in how much I hate it. Extremely linear with long pointless areas and then a final turd for an ending. Whoever made Camden needs to make more of your maps and just have people help him make it. Camden, though not “THAT” amazing is your only enjoyable/playable map right now.

Don’t take this as an insult I’m not a good candy coater, this is literally how the words are formed in my brain and typed out. Sorry if I hurt anybody’s feelings.

(rookie1) #5

maybe if respawn teams could be in groups at the same place and distance between the 2 teams would be closer to concentrate the gameplay on one aerea .
as offense advance keep the same distance beetween the teams . this Place is Huge and it need to be seperate in sections without adding walls seperation

(BomBaKlaK) #6

Dislike :

• Not enough side ways, I like the picture of “the springles can”
  • Objective design is 1 000 000 % Lemming rush (open bar)
  • No classes dedicated objective, even secondary objective are open.
  • Side obj not really matter cause of the obj type.
  • No doc run at all
  • Transmit or pick up location just not working
  • Spawn locations

Like :

• The pipes !
  • the vertical layout.

that’s pretty much a big dislike for this map at this point … did I speak about lemming rush ?

(rookie1) #7

I think this section is useless…if open area was starting there that would be ok with me

(EvoSteven) #8

Played it yesterday.

+:
The pipes could allow some epic jumping to secret locations, it’s really fun but you can’t jump on enough stuff :frowning:
The ending of the objective is real fun. The finale in the open place is really awesome and ended up taking up alot of time.
Little things like the elevators and the train.
THE ROOF THE ROOF THE ROOF IS ON FIRE (if only that would make it to release :p)

-:
The objective is kind of good but there’s some points where you can only go through one side and that’s being swarmed and hard to get through as every enemy is firing his gun at that location.
Sometimes the map isn’t open enough or allows for easy basecamping
The objective is not class based enough
The objective’s transitions isn’t always smooth as the defenders can easily create a chokepoint at some places.

Might as well do the survey thingy:

The finale

Some parts are too small and create an easy chokepoint to disrupt the smooth gameplay and makes it very hard to push through

Haven’t played it enough to say that for sure.

Which route/position do you find the most useful when attacking/defending particular objectives?

What tactics (if any) do you employ when trying to complete/defend particular objectives?
Placing mines at the end. Priceless!

(Smooth) #9

Servers are now up for the night :slight_smile:

(ImageOmega) #10

North American gamers able to play around 10pmEST tonight for this?

(Mustang) #11

Anyone from SD fancy joining us tonight?

Not seen Draska for some weeks now.

(GENETX) #12

The first objective is OK I think.

Middle part (2nd and 3rd hacking obj.)

The middle part. As already said, too open. All driving like lemmings to one point.

As stated by others, I am kinda missing the classplay. A lot of hacking such that everybody can be soldier etc with heavy guns… A lot of lemmings driving in one direction. Note nough routes… There are mainly three parts imho:

1. First objective
  2. 2 hacking thingies inbetween
  3. The last open part

The two main issues are thus with the classes not that useful and the lemming style. I like the rest of the map design tho. Multi-level vertical layout. Original. I like the tubes. I have some ideas that might improve the map and tackle most issues.

After that, the map is too long in distance right now and hasn’t enough paths. But this might not be a problem. Neither the lemming part even! But instead of hacking objectives, it might be an idea to carry objectives from a point near the attacking teams spawn to somehwere around the second hackable objective. In this case the attacking team needs to push on. The carryable(s) might be dropped over and over and can be returned by the enemy. But as long as the attacking team puts pressure on it, they can pick it up again and get it further into the pathways towards the dropping point.

Then the third hackable should also be getten rid of. Then the last capturing point or so (didn’t completely get it tho) is kinda meh. But oh well. Then for the last obj I would replace it with 1 or 2 C4 destroyables. Makes more sense with the open space. As attacker, first a sniper could defend a soldier planting C4, then it should protect the C4. Somehow this might create a double class effect. Snipers of both teams have a lot of influence to protect obj and team mates. Still other classes are required.

Tho maybe some kind of engineering obj might also be nice… Perhaps repair a pump such that it is also possible to travel a part crouching through pipes? With a possible split to two exits?

(prophett) #13

• I only like the first phase, but I would like to see an extra route to the lower left for attackers. Currently, if defenders hold down rooftop they can easily crossfire the right side, and the left side + elevator approach. There are also some good lines of sight for defenders on the attackers spawn stairs if you can push up and hold those two chokes.

The second objective. I am not sure I like the placement of the objective. Placing it in one of the rooms to the side (“control room”) would possibly lead to better confrontations. From the first to the final objective feels like I am walking down a 50 foot corridor, grinding against an objective. At least 1 more alternate route might be a nice addition.

I would also think the final objective would play better if it wasn’t so vertical. I think the layout is nice but there are so many angles. Maybe taking away some of the height would lead to more interactions on the main floor/platform, rather than a big fish-in-a-barrel feeling I currently get from that stage.

Not really.

Defending I normally hug the left side from each stage. Second stage I like to get in the side rooms, unless I am sniping (then i’ll just sit in spawn and make picks).

Attacking it’s either elevator or pipes to roof, then left side to those side rooms for second, and right side stairs to lower platform for final.

The final stage is very annoying to play on defence. It feels like if you don’t go left side to lower stairs you are getting picked from 20 different angles. Even then an attacker sniper on the upper right balcony/track can easily pick you crossing.

(NeoRussia) #14

The last area. It has a different tone from the indoor industrial areas before it and I like how it curves around the objective area. Makes for some interesting semi-pushes and pockets of teamwork.

The transitions feel sort of weak. Some of them don’t feel like they have enough cover. The elevators could be placed better as well as the high ground zones. I don’t like the starting area as the 2 entrances are way too easy to hold off and spawncamp into. Similar to this are some areas around the last objective that feel impossible to push into because it would mean running into easy sniper sight lines and grenade spam areas.

Some of the high ground areas don’t feel flushed out enough for them to be look important or useful.

I like how this map emphasizes flanking and high ground although it really seems like you want to group up and push through a single area as the attackers. Defenders have a lot of interesting choices for ambush areas.

Medic is my favourite class so I try to distract and cover my allies. The high ground and flanking routes are interesting but I play around cover mostly and find myself dealing with enemies coming from multiple directions while covering my allies.

(montheponies) #15

Only played a couple of rounds tonight, same problem with the last objective as mentioned before - the carry objective method is poor, the multiple runs are unnecessary padding and the final drop off location being next to the attacker spawn (and having the actual pickup point next to the defense spawn) is just wrong.

Probably not something to take onboard for this map, but you could consider smaller maps with only single objectives - i find the current crop of maps suffer from objective fatigue (detonate this, pda that, carry this to there four times and that’s before we consider side objectives)…capturable forward spawns become far more meaningful on single stage maps as well.

(rookie1) #16

[QUOTE=montheponies;458583]Only played a couple of rounds tonight, same problem with the last objective as mentioned before - the carry objective method is poor, the multiple runs are unnecessary padding and the final drop off location being next to the attacker spawn (and having the actual pickup point next to the defense spawn) is just wrong.

Probably not something to take onboard for this map, but you could consider smaller maps with only single objectives - i find the current crop of maps suffer from objective fatigue (detonate this, pda that, carry this to there four times and that’s before we consider side objectives)…capturable forward spawns become far more meaningful on single stage maps as well.[/QUOTE]
Maybe a doc run in this map would make it more interseting like:
Grab the doc at first present objectif and delivery to the train at groud zero ,open space aera.

(en2ie) #17

Played this again a little yesterday.

The first objective area plays quite well. However once the doors are blown to the room I find that the hackable consoles inside are completed within seconds without any defence - making them rather pointless. I would put a carry-able inside the room that you have to deliver to the second set of objectives - this would help make the long walk to the second set a little more meaningful.

The second objectives have changed alot since I last played them - and they just confused me completely :eek:

The final objectives start okay I think, with the crane stage - but the carry-able part is still a bit of a mess. I would scrap the carry-ables here and just do an explosive objective, or maybe reverse the carry-able so your giving rather than taking (think camden 3rd obj).

(prophett) #18

[QUOTE=rookie1;458584]Maybe a doc run in this map would make it more interseting like:
Grab the doc at first present objectif and delivery to the train at groud zero ,open space aera.[/QUOTE]

I think that would make the last obj a little more enjoyable and is worth testing. It wouldn’t solve all the issues though.