Preview of- Industrial Espionage: Engineer Assassination

(W0lfMan) #1

Here is the first look at my upcoming mission for Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the second in the Industrial Espionage series. Vicpas who won the secret area contest last time gets to be the first one to play this mission, but I’ll share screenshots of what I have so far.

In this mission, your goal is to assassinate a top-level German engineer who is working at a key manufacturing facility that is producing weapons. Termination of this engineer would be a critical blow to the German war machine. Therefore, the Office of Secret Actions orders that Agent B.J. Blazkowicz be sent on an assassination mission to this facility.

Fire fight in the warehouse:

Observation window:

Boiler room balcony:

Warehouse:

Sniping:

(W0lfMan) #2

Steam tunnel:

Service corridor:

Office:

(ronboy) #3

Great shots Wolfman! I take it that you have much experience with mapping, since the brushwork and scripting on your previous release was so nice and detailed. Not to mention how quickly you are making these levels… very nice indeed.

I’ve been working on my own project for 3 years now, and it’s still not done. Must be nice to have so much free time on your hands… :smiley:

(W0lfMan) #4

[QUOTE=ronboy;453370]Great shots Wolfman! I take it that you have much experience with mapping[/quote]Thanks for the compliment. I actually have been doing this for less than a year. Only since September of 2012 is when I started, IIRC… but as you remark:

Must be nice to have so much free time on your hands… :smiley:

Yes, there are so many projects that I work on. I am already planning the third mission. It is going to be set outdoors, and it will push my map scripting abilities to their limits. Just a small hint: there will be an epic train crash involved!

(W0lfMan) #5

Well I have run into the shader overflow problem. Currently have 1036 shaders on the shaderlist, and the map isn’t completed yet. :frowning: I’ll see about getting this all finished by August. Might install Wine on my Mac so I can use q3map (unless someone has the source code that I can compile).

(ronboy) #6

Q3map2 sucks for Rtcw sp mapping. I’ve read multiple posts in the past that have stated that Q3map2 is meant more for mp mapping, not sp. I really do recommend using Q3map instead.

(W0lfMan) #7

I paid a visit to our old friend, Mr. -nocollapse. Got the shader count down to the 900’s. I would really like to have a better understanding of the q3map2 source code and the file format of .bsp so I could work on fixing this problem.

I have already modified my bspc code to ignore a common error which would prevent creation of the .aas files.

(W0lfMan) #8

Still working on this one. Getting closer to finish! Then I am drawing paper maps for the layout of my third mission for this series!

(ronboy) #9

I’m glad to see that you’re still going at this project. Did you get the Q3map/Q3map2 problem fixed?
Also, a word of advice: you might want to release a “revision” of the first level’s ai script, so it would be connected to the second level. :smiley:

Example:

trigger endmap
{
changelevel mapname persistant
//////////////where mapname is the name of the second level
}

(W0lfMan) #10

[QUOTE=ronboy;465348]I’m glad to see that you’re still going at this project. Did you get the Q3map/Q3map2 problem fixed?[/quote]Yes, I got that fixed by using the -nocollapse switch.

Also, a word of advice: you might want to release a “revision” of the first level’s ai script, so it would be connected to the second level. :smiley:

Yes, I’m going to re-release the first two missions as part of a Special Edition, once the third level is completed. I will make improvements to my first map, and they will all link together.

Not yet, though! That’s a project for 2014.

(melc_av) #11

Hello W0lfMan,

Any news about this project? When this will be release? Approximate… You want to give us - players of RTCW - a percent of finalization? And this project will have secret areas?

Thanks advance!

(W0lfMan) #12

Oops, time has flown by! I was expecting to have this map finished by now. I work on so many other projects too. Right now I am redesigning my web site and that is a big effort. So I had stopped working on this map for the past month or two. Sorry. :frowning:

As far as finalization goes, it’s pretty close. I can count off what needs to be finished:

• I need to rig up the scripting for an elevator
  • I need to add a final encounter with some enemy AIs
  • I installed an alarm in the warehouse that needs more scripting
  • More playtesting!

So it’s at least 80% done, I’d say.

Yes, there are secret areas. There will be two challenges: first, to find where it is! Then, to find how to reach it! (Just like my previous mission, I guess!) Then there is another secret area that is a lot simpler to access.

I have also started the most preliminary work on my third mission in this series. It will be an outdoors map with many buildings to enter. I don’t know if I’ll finish it, but if I do, it will be better than these first two maps.

(ronboy) #13

I know the feeling of time flying by… it can be difficult to find time to work on mapping sometimes. When this map is finished, I’ll be interested in helping you test it. :slight_smile:

(W0lfMan) #14

I took a look at this map last evening. The last time I worked on it was September 22nd. It’s a pretty good one. I’d say it’s better than my first one. I’ll see if I can get it finished in December. Vicpas gets to be the first one to play it, since he won the contest.

(PuNkReAS*) #15

Really nice pictures, W0lfMan!
I’m waiting for it to be done. :slight_smile:

(ronboy) #16

I’m waiting for it to be done too. You have some interesting ideas, and I would like to see more of them. :slight_smile:

(W0lfMan) #17

Good news, guys! I’ve got my redesigned web site online, so that is one huge project out of the way. I’m going to start work again on this map either this evening or tomorrow.

It is super close to completion! And it is a lot better than my first map! There are several more areas which aren’t shown in those screenshots at top, but I’m going to keep them a surprise.

(W0lfMan) #18

As promised, vicpas got his chance to play this map. He liked it; now it will be officially released this coming Monday!

(ronboy) #19

That’s great! As usual, I’ll write a review of it, and post it here. :slight_smile: