Does buying a PS3 still makes sense?

(.FROST.) #1

Since the first trailers and screenshots I saw from The Last of Us I was totally in love with that game. Not only pushes Naughty Dog the PS3 to the limit with this visually stunning game, but they also deliver a engaging story -not necessarily in terms of the overall plot, but in the way the story is told and fleshed out by a cast of interesting and believable NPCs, as well as a very likeable protagonist.

Long story short; I’ve never owned any kind of console, but they finally got me so hard into considering to buy one those, only because of TLoU. I’m basically constantly thinking about pushing this darn buy-button. The only thing, that’s holding me back is the simple fact, that the PS4 will be released in a couple of months; but to not make things easier, TLoU is not supposed to run on the PS4; problems, over problems.

Please folks, help me on that one(especially PS3 owners); tell me your opinions.

PS: I think TLoU should be seen as some kind of big budget goodbye present for people who are allready owning the PS3. But then again, there’s this very tempting TLoU+PS3 console set, for newcomers…

(iwound) #2

GTAV but the last of us doesnt impress me at all. and ive yet to see any nex gen thats blown me away that wasnt running on a souped up pc pretending to be a console.

(Runeforce) #3

Wait a couple of years and run it on an emulator.

Consoles are only worth it if you really, REALLY, REALLY appreciate the products (games), and feel like putting in your cash.IMO, the entertainment is not worth what it’s priced.

(iwound) #4

FYI ps3, ps2, ps and everything else will be streamed to your sexy ps4. no emulation.

and heres sony trolling.

[video=youtube_share;kWSIFh8ICaA]http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA[/video]

(.FROST.) #5

That means you are playing your games on a server and not directly on your machine; kinda like cloud gaming? Maybe I should really wait for the PS4. Thanks for your reply iwound.

(Nail) #6

get ps3, ps4 will not be backwards compatible for discs

(badman) #7

Do bear in mind that they don’t currently have a release date for this functionality beyond ‘2014’. :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #8

I’m really torn into three, almost equally big, pieces(the PS3 piece is a tiny bit bigger); all three choices would make almost the same amount of sense to me; hence this poll :wink: As for the Gaika service and it going live in 2014, I’ve read that too and I don’t know if I like this streaming thing, but the next gen games, on the other hand, looked extremely tempting.

Though to me, it’s still a mind-boggling idea to play a FPS game with a controller.

(badman) #9

Are there any other games on PS3 that you absolutely positively must ingest at this very moment?

(.FROST.) #10

No, not really actually. It’s just, that I’m not the most patient guy(lifetime burden) and I was looking so much forward to TLoU, even though I knew I wouldn’t be able to play it. But there are also those other games that lead me into considering a while ago. Like the Killzone franchise, Mortal Kombat and the possibilty to play kids games, like Little Big Planet, with my daughter. All that isn’t particulary urgent, but, I don’t know, I also feel like a console is kinda overdue by now. I allready missed out on so much great stuff; like Heavy Rain e.g.; finally watched it as a LP on YT. And I don’t wanna miss out on Beyond Two Souls too.

(Violator) #11

Firmly in the cannot stand (or use) controllers camp, the wii showed the most promise but only seemed to be kids games made for it on the whole. PC die-hard here :wink: Some good looking games on consoles though but the controller thing always gets in the way…

(stealth6) #12

Best solution is to convince / find a friend that has a PS3 to get it.

(.FROST.) #13

Actually a good idea, but funny enough, the whole world seems to enjoy video games and I’m a total video-game lover, but non of my friends and the people around me seem to enjoy them an awful lot. The only two guys I know playing video games on a console chose the 360 as their platform. One of them even plays Starcraft 2 on the PC(wich I don’t), and that’s it. I guess most of the peeps my age either gave up on playing video-games, or weren’t into them in the first place. I don’t know, I’ll love them forever, even though I got some serious trouble with headaches* lately, caused by 1st and 3rd person(over the shoulder) games. Sometimes I can play a couple matches, or accomplish a mission, but sometimes even one match is too much. But that depends totally on the game.

*Also a reason why I’d like to try out a console; because usually you’d not sit as close in front of the screen as you do on a PC-monitor. Maybe being a bit more remote from the screen would ease some, or even all, of the negative effects, 1st and 3rd person games have on me.

(.FROST.) #14

Ok, now it’s official; I’m a f****g idiot, but what can I say, this very LP episode below just did it for me. It may be especially stupid since I’ve also watched all the previous episodes, but you know what, wtf? I’ve spend more time thinking about this whole PS3, -yes/no- thing, than it would’ve taken me to finish the entire game, and I don’t have time for that; but this thought wouldn’t get outta my brain either. So… I was basically forced to buy this freaking thing. And now I’m really looking forward to it, and to catch up on some PS3 exclusives I’ve missed over the last years(KZ3, Mortal Kombat,…), and those who are to come(Beyond: Two Souls, Until Dawn,…).

I don’t care that much for the PS4, as of yet. Because, firstly; the first generation of a new console usually isn’t the best(lot of issues; like being too loud, overheat, “BSOD”, stuff like that), and secondly, I’ll still stay being a PC guy in the first place.

Maybe two, or three years from now I’ll start thinking about the PS4, I mean it took me almost seven years to be entirely convined of the PS3. I’ll wait for the supah-dupah slim version of the PS4.

And thanks for participating in the poll folks; wished it would’ve been a couple more though; even though it probably wouldn’t have changed much on my final decision(since I just can’t get stuff outta my head very easily, once it stuck there for a while)

//youtu.be/YXpehSb03AA

(Dthy) #15

Mortal Kombat isn’t a ps3 exclusive. TLoU is the one of teh few consoles games I wish would come to PC

(.FROST.) #16

Yup, it may not be(or is not) PS exclusive, but it requires a console, or a handheld. And the 360, or anything but the PS3 and 4, was never in question for me.But I got your point.

What I meant was, I buy the PS for the exclusives, but, of course, I’m also looking forward to console only games, wich I couldn’t play in the past.

(Dthy) #17

MK will be coming to PC soon anyway. You could get an emulator for either console anyway.

(.FROST.) #18

Very cool, nice info. But I don’t regret my buy; I could still cancel my order, but, as I’ve said, wtf? It’s not like I’ve sold my soul to the devil:wink:

(iwound) #19

my ps3 just died playing the last of us. :frowning: YLOD
Well at least it can be repaired for about 30. :slight_smile:

(.FROST.) #20

[QUOTE=iwound;454260]my ps3 just died playing the last of us. :frowning: YLOD
Well at least it can be repaired for about 30. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh man, that’s bad. What version of the PS3 is it? And what part of it is damaged?