Secondary Objective

(spacecadet3) #1

I was giving some thought to what I would like to see in DB and I thought of an interesting idea that I’ll share with you guys to see what you think, please post your thoughts and constructive criticism!

I was thinking that on the last leg of an objective map it would be fun to have a secondary objective that is optional to winning the map. My idea was to have the secondary objective help with the completion of the map. If assault was stuck in a bottleneck and unable to get the objective down, There could be a second location that could be destroyed/opened/activated.

Whether this be a new route to the objective, say busting down a wall to get a new approach, or destroying a wall to find a hidden cache of weapons/items

The second idea had me very intrigued and I was trying to come up with some good/fun items to find.

For example. On Waterloo you could be stuck on stage #3 and then you’d hear over the radio “Intell found a hidden cache of Mi6 weapons near your location!”

You could plant C-4 at a wall location, bust it down then have access to a mini gun or flamer or a bomb suit (
)

The bomb suit could reduce damage from explosives/small arms fire while also reducing movement speed. Maybe even disabling sprint or making you walk for the duration of the suit.

Anyway, that was my idea. let me know what you guys think. I would love to see this in DB

(Nail) #2

please don’t reference things not in the public trailers

(spacecadet3) #3

I didn’t, read my post better please.

(Nail) #4

Waterloo is never mentioned

(DB Genome editor) #5

You might want to have another look at the “Shaped by Gamers” video released at the start of the closed alpha (at 1:07 to be exact) :wink:

(Nail) #6

ooopsie
:o
sorry bud, have a cookie

(spacecadet3) #7

[QUOTE=Nail;449322]ooopsie
:o
sorry bud, have a cookie[/QUOTE]

sooo… back on topic. What do you guys think

(Nail) #8

things have changed since that video

(DB Genome editor) #9

I’d rather see secondary objectives that benefit the entire team or disadvantage the opposing one. A single player super-bonus is likely to encourage Rambo gameplay and guys camping the pickup spot waiting for the trigger that makes it available instead of supporting their team.

I’d stick with opening new routes (as you mentioned) or closing them to the opposition, or shifting spawn points. Brink had command posts that could be captured for extra health or additional special ability “pips” for the whole team, but that felt a bit artificial: so I log into this console and suddenly everyone in my team can take a few more bullets before going down…???

(spacecadet3) #10

[QUOTE=Djiesse;449340]I’d rather see secondary objectives that benefit the entire team or disadvantage the opposing one. A single player super-bonus is likely to encourage Rambo gameplay and guys camping the pickup spot waiting for the trigger that makes it available instead of supporting their team.

I’d stick with opening new routes (as you mentioned) or closing them to the opposition, or shifting spawn points. Brink had command posts that could be captured for extra health or additional special ability “pips” for the whole team, but that felt a bit artificial: so I log into this console and suddenly everyone in my team can take a few more bullets before going down…???[/QUOTE]

I see your point, but it could be class specific. Say Engineers get the suit, or extra HP/Armor, medics get a bigger clip, etc. and be time limited

(Nail) #11

opening new routes would seem the most logical considering the map layout

(rana) #12

It’s not allowed? :open_mouth: no wonder everytime I ask someone, they never answer!

(Nail) #13

alpha testers are under a Non Disclosure Agreement, we can’t discuss anything outside closed alpha forums

(Bullveyr) #14

Secondary objectives (alternative routes, gun nest, etc.) that help to achieve the main one are a nice thing but I don’t like the idea of granting you or your team some buffs.

If those secondary objectives only get available because your team is stuck for some time (to balance the game) I’m against them, I don’t want to be at a disadvantage just because the other team sucks.

(Falcon.PL) #15

For me it’s enough that custom map creators will be able to go arbitrarily deep in the objectives connotations, relations and meanings. I see no point in constraining that, a map at worst will just be bad, yet it can be bad in milions of ways… And while enabled to dive into real space of possibilities, ppl will drive the game where small team cannot, right into the deep ocean of different ideas and approaches.

Freedom of custom map developers is a priority, right next to the game mechanics.

(Fooooo) #16

Alternate paths were one of my fav things about ET and QW to an extent.

I loved waiting across from the door on Oasis (where allies have to plant a bomb) ready to HS and bust through the door (although nobody really used that door in comp it was fun in pubs), then cleaning up everyone on the otherside so there is no more arty coming at our engies etc…

Same with the water route on oasis that you have to pump the water out of.

Same with the doors on beach or whatever it was called & supply depot.

Getting a suit and sneaking in the back way, basically skipping the first objective etc, or a group following an infiltrator through a back door was always fun.