Players online question.

(TacTicToe) #1

I can’t quite figure this out. Every time I go to play, there are no players on the servers. The News section shows playtimes for 8-10 EST in NA, which works for me. When ever I check, no players. The one time I saw 6 players online on a EU server, I go to make a cup of coffee, come back and that server was empty.

Not sure what is going on here. I took a SS of the launcher, it shows here 33 players online, but I see nothing on the servers. Is this a bug? Is it just people with the launcher running in the back ground, hoping like me that people jump on a server? Are there people playing, but not showing in the browser?

Would be nice to actually get to play for once. I have run around through the maps to check them out, but have yet to actually get to play some rounds. Seems strange.

(Nail) #2

The players online show just that, players online, doesn’t mean they are in game

(BomBaKlaK) #3

but yes that still a big problem ! the player base is really small and a lot left with the last patch, waiting the new one.
So if SD want some “Eco Data” they need some more players it’s a fact.
Is the actual player base a bit bored about the game? maybe cause game session became shorter every week,
So waiting the new patchs and some more players

(Nail) #4

I’m pretty sure they have their own testing going on with inhouse setup unrelated to the servers we see, I find it humorous that people think we’re the only testers. If SD need more boots on the ground so to speak, they’ll put them there.

What I see is frustration on not being able to play a game, but we’re here to test first, play second.

before I get another flurry of stfu old man pm’s, remember this game is at least 10 - 30 months away. I think it’s in almost playable state, so lets be SD testers.
Find holes, stuck spots, Z fighting, missing textures, improper clipping, obstacles, all the boring crap, take that prob off their shoulders, iirc, it’s what we signed up for

(.N.E.R.D.) #5

I think that someone who spent 120$ to PLAY this game is not excited about not being able to play.

(Kl3ppy) #6

It wouldnt change anything. If he could play, he would see that he wasted 120$ so he doesnt see it right now nad has some joy and hope left :wink:

(Breo) #7

Don’t worry we still have the T-sHiRtS :tongue: and hopefully more milestone updates very soon!

(BomBaKlaK) #8

At least we can do a wet t-shirt tournament !

(Kl3ppy) #9

Even with men it would propably make more fun than db right now :tongue:

(Nail) #10

no one said you could pay to PLAY, the offer was pay to TEST

(Samurai.) #11

maybe adding an irc style chat box in the launcher solely for the alpha could be a nice addition, whereby the chat room could allow those online in the launcher to arrange playing on a server rather than everyone waiting to see any activity on a server and then closing when no-one joins.

(MrFunkyFunk) #12

Chat option has been suggested a lot of times.
Meanwhile Potty’s TS3 is a nice recent player-driven initiative, aside IRC.

(Hundopercent) #13

Actually, the offer was pay for Alpha access. I paid to assist in the shaping of the game competitive. Unfortunately, I am unable to do that because no one is playing let alone scrimming in NA. I have offered them assistance in recruiting quality teams and NA players to play the game, essentially, they told me they’re working on that. That was a few months ago.

Now I know they have a small team and things will take time, with that in mind, their are also a lot of people who, in good faith, put 120+ into the game for Splash Damage. We would like to play what we paid for. I don’t mind reporting the occasional clipping, texture, or bug because I understand that’s part of my responsibility, however, I would like to play the game on NA servers. The internal QA ernie’s should be running around finding all the monotonous and critical/game breaking bugs and assist with fixing them. That’s what they get paid to do.

Anyway, I was going to post something about this because it’s kinda bull **** that we paid 120$ and can’t even play the game due to lack of population (and people not wanting to run into the meat grinder.) I know they’re looking into the meat grinder effect but that doesn’t resolve low US population vs EU.

Edit: I don’t believe they should invite more people until they lower RoF and increase spawn times by roughly 10 seconds (to start.) Both of these changes do not take much time but do requiring some testing.

(TacTicToe) #14

I have already logged many hours running through the maps to check them out, as previously stated. I love the London Bridge layout, as it is a straight re-do of ET’s Goldrush. Played that map on ET a gazillion times, and love it. However, it is difficult, if not impossible, to report on the game play mechanics, flaws, issues, stuck spots, choke points blah blah blah etc, if there are no players on to play. The dynamics of the game can not be corrected or improved upon, if you’re not playing, period.

Its like designing a new car, and all you can do is walk around and look at the car from the outside. You can tell the designer, hey would look great if you put a new mirror here, some pin stripes there, wider wheels etc etc etc. Until you can actually drive the vehicle in real world conditions, those things are nothing more then cosmetic fluff that you have pointed out to the car designer. And equally meaningless.

I did not mean for this thread to spin out of control, as it has, just wanted some answers as to what I was seeing in that screenshot, versus what seems to be showing in the browser. So my take from what I have read so far, is that people just have the game running in the background, and nothing more. I guess that’s cool and all, as I came in earlier and saw a peer connected and downloading the launcher from me, so it is good for that reason. However, if it is going to show how many players are online, why not add the ability to pull down the list of those that are online. So we can send them a textual poke and say “HEY wanna play?”

From what I have seen so far, population is remarkably low. Surprisingly low. I honestly would expect there to be much more excitement for this game. Granted, it is a huge chunk of money to be able to participate now, but still, for me it was worth it. I was quite happy to see a lot of what I saw. :slight_smile:

(Humate) #15

no one said you could pay to PLAY, the offer was pay to TEST

Here to give feedback, not here to test anything. :slight_smile:

(Rex) #16

summertime + qw cup cough

(OwNLY) #17

As you can see, we are doing that (doing some wars with TS) already on EU-Side.
We have some comp players from EU here, and we are active on shaping the game.

Of course it sucks to pay 120 bucks and not be able to play the game.
But i paid the same and play it rarely because of the current issues about the game:
I think with the performance patches in the next weeks (announced by SD)
we get some TTK changes and a more playable game.
120$ is a lot, sure, but i´m pretty sure we can get more people playing then (or they open the game for more players).

(rookie1) #18

[QUOTE=TacTicToe;445860] …So my take from what I have read so far, is that people just have the game running in the background, and nothing more. I guess that’s cool and all, as I came in earlier and saw a peer connected and downloading the launcher from me, so it is good for that reason. However, if it is going to show how many players are online, why not add the ability to pull down the list of those that are online. So we can send them a textual poke and say “HEY wanna play?”

[/QUOTE]
—> Read My Solution

(Volcano) #19

why don’t the US players play against the euros are you that scared of higher than normal ping because that’s going to make the game so impossible to play right, there are a tonne of yank players the problem you lot don’t ever play. Regardless of what some of you are saying the Alpha stage is the testing phase which is the main focus unlike the beta phase which is more about playing the game.

(Humate) #20

^^ I would say partly because it isnt reciprocated - its not common to see euros on us servers.
And the other part is its difficult to get a feel of the mechanics and balance on higher pings.

Also most of the US players are giving comp feedback, not pub feedback.
So at best, its a once a week thing until the US numbers start increasing.

That said, they have probably clocked the most hours despite the low player count.