Character Hit Boxes

(MrEd) #1

There’s been a lot of talk recently about hit boxes vs visual appearance of characters, so here’s a couple of images of character set 01 so you can see what you’re all shooting at.

As you can see, the main difference is that engineer 01 and recon 01 are a bit shorter.

(spookify) #2

Thanks for the information. The first thing I see is the chick has the clearest head for headshots, even tho it looks like her hit box starts in her mouth… Weird! Get ride of that thing on her head and make her head the hit box…

For shooters like me a clear body shape really helps in aiming. Finding the waist, then locating the shoulders and ultimately strafing the head. These areas should be more detailed and not have so much clunky gear of them.

Items like the backpack extending in back of the players head also throws off shots especially while back raging which is all I do. I have no clear shot of the head!

More defined faces and heads. Is the FO or Soldiers head hit box smaller then the rest? The middle dude?

Nontopic info - Reduce spread (Especially while strafing)! Reward good shots… Please! I want to 5/6 dink(HS) someone with the medic gun just like the feeling of 3 dinking in ET…

(ImageOmega) #3

When a bullet hits one of those areas on the character model not inside the hit box (ie: soldier back pack) what happens? Does the bullet get absorbed or does it pass through? I think the feeling is that right now bullets are bring absorbed by these areas on the model.

Or am I is this just all in our heads?

(pulley) #4

[QUOTE=ImageOmega;439251]When a bullet hits one of those areas on the character model not inside the hit box (ie: soldier back pack) what happens? Does the bullet get absorbed or does it pass through? I think the feeling is that right now bullets are bring absorbed by these areas on the model.

Or am I is this just all in our heads?[/QUOTE]

I think that could be a problem. It would be great to make them bigger an especially make the Body Hitbox go over the Head! Just like it was in W:ET We really need this for the infights!

(ImageOmega) #5

I agree if that’s the issue instead of the hit registration. Even Quake 2 standardized hit boxes with a patch to make male/female same size. I know other games may not, but are they that tight to the model?

(pulley) #6

In the newer cod and cs titles they are very close to the models but thats a complete different game.
I dont know how close they where in brink…

(MrEd) #7
  • Only the areas in black are valid for bullet collision.
  • All the head hitboxes are the same (differences may be perceived due to the perspective of the screenshot).

(nailzor) #8

Strange that when a character turns their body you can shoot their head and it gets blocked by say their gun and such, as described in other posts.

(pulley) #9

MrEd is it possible to tell us what command lets us display the hitboxes so we could test it on server?

(nailzor) #10

Why can’t people get shot in the hands/fingers + toes? =p

(Mustang) #11

I think more realistic hitboxes are a nice improvement, however it does mean that spread needs to be reduced to give a similar hitreg that we are used to with idTech.

It’s cheat protected so you can’t enable it for yourself.

(MrFunkyFunk) #12

Thank you for the info and screenshots.

It goes through, tested and verified yesterday on Waterloo.
The soldier was on the console objective, turning his back to me. I took my time to calibrate the shot a few inches below the top of the backpack and it resulted in a headshot.
For some reason I always thought the bullet was stopped in its tracks on those areas.

(Hundopercent) #13

I would love to be able to test this.

(ImageOmega) #14

I love in Quake Live when I hit a rail shot on someone and I hit them in their pinky toe.

(MrEd) #15

Yeah as mustang said, this is cheat protected - as it lets you see all collision wireframes through the world too - so won’t be available to end users.

(Hundopercent) #16

Understood. I guess this is what dual monitors are for huh?

(Protekt1) #17

Very cool. Can you please make the head hitbox a different color so we can see where it starts?

(spookify) #18

Anyone notice that the head hit boxes are tilted and hunched to one side? Does this effect anything also? Just seems odd. Would the prospective of your shooting need to lead the person more?

(Nail) #19

I run 3, doesn’t work even on 2 instances

(Ashog) #20

Well, backback on the soldier is as was expected. It needs and, afaik, will be changed (made smaller/lower?).

I am more worried about what Nailzor said - if the enemy faces you, his gun and arm are blocking a part of the headbox. I think this is what happens and makes the headshotting even worse, in addition to the very small headboxes as such. MrEd, can you confirm that if the gun is in front of head view, it will “intercept” the headshots resulting in only armshots?