SERVER RULES: Casual vs Veteran

(Smooth) #1

Hi all,

We realise that a lot of players here have been playing Dirty Bomb for several months now and have become exceedingly effective at the game.

Given the current small size of the player base it’s becoming increasingly difficult for many players to find a fun gaming experience, against equally skilled opponents.

To try and create a more friendly & balanced environment environment for new players at this stage we’ve renamed some of the servers to denote the type of gaming we expect to take place on each.

When we open the game up to more people we do aim to have things like matchmaking systems and team balance solutions, but until that time we’d like to ask you guys to manage yourselves.

Here are some basic rules we’d like people to follow on the Casual servers:

[ul]
[li]Try to keep the teams balanced at all times[/li][li]Don’t be afraid of swapping mid-match[/li][li]Please do not stack teams with friends[/li][*]Be as friendly as you can to other users[/ul]

(Samurai.) #2

Right now i can’t see this doing anything… i mean people just play on whatever server has people active on, it’s just unlucky for those suffering from a lack of fun due to the skill gap that the current alpha player base is fairly competent. Im pretty sure we all try to stick to these general rules anyway it’s not exactly much fun rolling over 1 team or to be rolled by another.

In terms of naming them just for future potential player bases incoming… Casual is fine, but i perceive a “hardcore” server to have restricted settings/altered damage etc from the typical use of hardcore in COD/BF3 games, which personally put’s me off. Maybe a better name would be along the lines of “Veteran” or something similar that communicates “experienced player base” rather than “modified game settings”

(Smooth) #3

Good point, I’ve updated the name :slight_smile:

My hope is that by defining these rules and actively asking people to follow them, that players will be more likely to police themselves and each-other.

(.N.E.R.D.) #4

Just do a campaign to encourage the low skilled players to become better :wink:

(Volcano) #5

that might help some players, but others such as myself are burnt out and cant actually improve

(RasteRayzeR) #6

Oh I will, one bullet at a time xD

Maybe a few more videos on the objectives for each map like you did for London Bridge would help newcomers to get into the game faster ? Maybe could we get a new IRC channel for newcommers, or a special section in the forum ?

(Samurai.) #7

Nice to see you took my advice. :slight_smile:

Yes this i think would be very helpful, basically a step by step training video on where the objectives are located, what class (& tool) you need to be to accomplish the objective and an update to the location of where you spawn once an objective is achieved (a free cam from the spawn to the obj could be useful for showing the direct path to get there). Also a counter equivalent of basically how to defuse an object/the class required would be a massive help to all new players regardless of the skill level. (Finding the location of objectives for me was the first step i took to progressing in this game - even Dthy said yesterday on TS that he only just found out the location of one of the obj’s around the construction site on Whitechapel to increase the lift speed).

(spookify) #8

Dislike. Low skilled players will never get any better or learn tricks by playing in low-skill servers. This is why so many people complain about haxers and cheats even though no one is. These servers are split off from the main stream and if someone wants to buy a server and open it up to all players, guess what happens. Good players get banned from that server and it turns into a low skill server again!

(Rex) #9

Sounds like QW pub servers. :smiley:

(Bananas) #10

I’m sad to see an official post on this. I would have thought people would just balance pubs themselves in an alpha.

(murka) #11

Well it’s quite difficult to balance teams without a shuffle vote.

(en2ie) #12

Yeah I agree, only when more players are in the alpha might it help. This is the main reason I haven’t been playing DB much (and the release of Bioshock :D).

(rookie1) #13

At Beginning I was spectating/joining empty server to learn all routes and stuff.
Then I spectated players playing for a while …then I joined
Now i try to balance looking at XP levels of each side

(Maca) #14

Instead of creating this gap with playerbase, I think it would’ve been better to just create shuffle. The main problem is unbalanced teams due to friendstacking and just bad luck in player placement at the start, not really the individual balance between players.
Shuffle would’ve really improved this

(Kendle) #15

7pm UK time, Veteran is full, all other servers are empty, guess it’s only the l33t players on at this time? :slight_smile:

(LeeStyle) #16

Perhaps a glowing and pulsating arrow over head to help the player figure out where to go, like in the game “Crazy Taxi”?

(INF3RN0) #17

That can happen when the game is officially out. Until then this is an alpha test and balanced games give more accurate feedback.

(INF3RN0) #18

[QUOTE=Smooth;438750]Good point, I’ve updated the name :slight_smile:

My hope is that by defining these rules and actively asking people to follow them, that players will be more likely to police themselves and each-other.[/QUOTE]

I suggest bumping that date for inviting some esports teams for clan war testing. That would reduce the scrims vs pub probably.

(Breo) #19

With the 51% rule like QW it won’t pass most of the time :o allthough I’m not sure if that will be the same with 16 players.

(BomBaKlaK) #20

[QUOTE=Smooth;438728]
[li]Be as friendly as you can to other users[/LIST][/QUOTE][/li]
please ! everywhere ! I insist !