Brink SDK and moddability

(motorsep) #1

Are there any plans for Brink modding SDK?

Hypothetically speaking, what would be a level of usability of SDK tools compare to Doom 3 / Quake 4 / ETQW ? Would the tools be closer to UDK levle of usability or would they still be in the spirit of idSoftware tools ?

(JackPipsam) #2

Thanks to Bethesda.

Brinks dead.
The chance for an SDK is long gone.
No more updates, the stat site and clan system is offline.

Hell Brink isn’t even in the new Bethstore.

Dead :’(

(motorsep) #3

Ouch. Sounds bad.

(Dragonji) #4

//youtu.be/YcXMhwF4EtQ

(motorsep) #5

I wonder if SD own the tech at least.

(Dragonji) #6

Unfortunately (fortunately?), nope.

(motorsep) #7

How is it possible? Unless publisher owns everything from that project :confused:

(Nail) #8

not publisher exactly, id Software owns the rights, but id Software are now owned by ZeniMax/Bethesda and all id tech now belongs to poopy heads

(motorsep) #9

that’s kinda crazy :frowning: So idSoftware owns Brink’s engine (and all infrastructure surrounding it) ? Is that the reason SD going with UE3 for their games now?

(Nail) #10

I believe Bethesda would like to keep all id Tech projects in house
Splash Damage is also using the Unity engine as well as Unreal

(motorsep) #11

That’s kinda weird, because there no longer a single game being developed using idTech 4 non-GPL engine (except maybe Prey 2).

(Dragonji) #12

id Tech’s netcode sucks to be honest. I believe UE is much better in this aspect.

Unity engine, the one that is used for 3D games on websites? Damn, every single game using Unity webplayer that I’ve ever played was so badly optimized, or is it just the engine?

(motorsep) #13

I’ve only played vanilla Doom 3 online, and while it’s no suitable for competitive multiplayer, for casual fun DM and Coop, even stock Doom 3 played well with pings <150. In other words, if players are in the same country and on broadband, multiplayer feels fine (up to 4 players).

I’ve yet to try Doom 3 BFG online, people say it’s much better due to client-side entities and snapshots interpolation.

I haven’t played neither ETQW nor Brink online, so I can’t really say if SD improved networking of idTech 4 or if it’s beyond being fixed for optimal online experience :stuck_out_tongue:

(Mustang) #14

Grab a copy of RAD Soldiers and find out.

(Dragonji) #15

I don’t have any device with iOS, unfortunately.

(Mustang) #16

Whilst in this case it could be seen as unfortunate.

However in general it is the correct course of action.

(xdc) #17

sdk should of been out when it was first released