DIRTY BOMB UPDATE: Version 16988

(Smooth) #1

Hi all,

We’ve just released a small update with the following changes:

Changelist

General:

[ul]
[li]Fixed bug that could cause carryable objective to disappear (and overtime to last forever)[/li][/ul]

Balance

[ul]
[li]Reduced concurrent mine count to 1 per Engineer[/li][li]Reduced mine throwing distance[/li][li]Reduced mine damage slightly[/li][li]Shotgun damage now falls off slightly earlier at range[/li][/ul]

(nailzor) #2

Yay! But can the carryables still be delivered to invisible vehicles on Whitechapel I wonder? :wink:

(iwound) #3

yes.
changes sound good.

(Evil-Doer) #4

Very very nice.

(Rex) #5

Sounds nice, but I would be more pleased if you could fix the minimap bug. That’s the only thing which really annoys me at the moment.

(tokamak) #6

Yeah. Is there a command to turn that thing off completely? That would already be enough for now.

(Smooth) #7

The minimap bugs annoys us as well but is part of a much larger fix and not a quick change.

I use the setres command which gets saved to console history when used, so I just press home -> up key -> enter to fix it every time I alt-tab.

setres 1920x1080f

(acQu) #8

Most important thing to fix for me is the sound feedback issue with the weapons. If i fire 1 shot, 2 shots are audible => http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/33908-Amount-of-bullets-fired-and-sounds-don-t-lign-up

All guns are affected, some even produce 3 audible shots when it is only 1.

(Smooth) #9

[QUOTE=acQu;432686]Most important thing to fix for me is the sound feedback issue with the weapons. If i fire 1 shot, 2 shots are audible => http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/33908-Amount-of-bullets-fired-and-sounds-don-t-lign-up

All guns are affected, some even produce 3 audible shots when it is only 1.[/QUOTE]

This is something that will be fixed eventually, however while we are changing weapon RoF for gameplay reasons it doesn’t make sense to re-author the audio.

(acQu) #10

Good to know that. W:ET AFAIK had no long audio tapes, but there was only multiple 1 shot audios from the weapons. They got played whenever a shot was fired i think, but i would have to recheck that. If it is all long audio tapes which get stopped and restarted where it once stopped, then this makes sense.

(Evil-Doer) #11

Usually just go into options slide the brightness bar a little to right then back, press apply an WAAALAA mini map small again.

(iwound) #12

Feels like its been sprayed with WD40.
mines feel more valuable and a kill more satisfying now. i expect arming will increase this value if added.
shottie feels fine.

(dommafia) #13

alt + enter 2x fixes the minimap bug for me the vew times i minimize.

(INF3RN0) #14

Mines haven’t been nearly as annoying now. They do a fair bit of damage, but are more avoidable/escape-able and aren’t anywhere near useless. I’m still not entirely sure what I think of them still, but it’s better than previously. Shotgun’s design still doesn’t feel like it effectively rewards skill to a consistent extent or takes a lot of effort to use, instead making it a bit of a low curve low effort weapon choice most of the time. I’d be curious to know if SD has any plans/ideas on making it more functionally balanced.

(Scrupus) #15

Just some more impressions after playing a bit more with this and the previous patch:

• Mines are better now, but I still stumble on them all the time - it’s a bit hard to see them (maybe on purpose), and I never hear the beeps until I step on them.
  • In general the guns feels very nice.
  • I like the new health mechanics a lot, and feel it works fine. The medic gun is also fine, but miss a medic shotgun from time to time (but as I remember there is a second medic girl with shotgun hiding somewhere, hope to meet her soon). But all in all, I like the current medic very well - as seen from a support medics point of view.
  • Just one little thing about the defibrillator tool - is it only me, or has it been slightly harder to “hit” the incapacitated players since the previous patch? I felt it was no problem “speed” reviving players just by running over them for a quick defib shot, but since the second last patch I seem to miss them more often than before.
  • The new carryables system works better now, after getting a bit more used to it. I’m not really sure if the no shooting is a big problem anymore - what I would suggest, is some kind of mechanics that will not return the cell automatically, if a friendly player stays in range. Or, increase the time before it’s return. This way, it would be safer to put it down, fight a bit, and then carry on. And the throwing idea from the other thread is also really good.
  • It’s probably mentioned elsewhere, but sometimes, it’s a bit hard to pickup the cells and cores. Just like some trigger box is not always in place when it should. Seen this problem on both whitechapel church, and the cores in LB. It seems to be temporary and they work okay after a while. Today I had 3-4 attempts to pickup the same cell on whitechapel, before it hit.

(warbie) #16

I’ve noticed that and notched it up to user error :slight_smile:

(Scrupus) #17

Good to hear, I thought the same for a while but started to notice other medics struggling with the same, so something must have changed… :infiltrator: :wink:

(INF3RN0) #18

I almost think the shotty could function a lot better now if it was 2 shot close-range and had its range slightly increased. The fall-off is definitely a lot less now, but the 1 shot kills aren’t very appealing.

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #19

Due to some game launcher problems and real life issues I’m late posting this.

No shoot with carryables- I don’t find this fun. There are other games that have used this mechanic and I didn’t find it fun in those games either. I don’t feel this dynamic adds any drama or tension because I feel more frustrated that I can’t shoot. On the plus side, dropping the carryable is very well done. There is very little delay to being able to shoot.

The Shotgun-Shotguns are traditionally difficult to balance in games and I missed the update where the shotty was the close range rape machine so here is my perception based on the current build. I think most of what I am going to say can be summarized as The pump action mine girl should be a “solid choice” at close range but be effective at medium with the machine pistol.
I’ve seen this situation before. In CoD2 the shotty was a rape machine up close but the pistol was better at 7m+ (estimated from memory). In CoD2, players also hated getting 1 shotted and calling shotgun noob when they suffered at the end of the boomstick. Current DB maps create a balancing challenge because many of the current maps are purposely tight and close quarters prevail. To further the problem if you make the shotty too strong then this class becomes the small room clearing class instead of the soldier which apparently game designers want to be the tank. I believe the current shotgun:

1. always has the same spread pattern
  2. grants headshot damage
  3. has very little difference in spread pattern when fired from the hip versus ADS.

Personally I think the pump action shotty needs to be “effective” at the distance of THE WIDTH of a London Bridge street in terms of TTK with the engie rifle. It should probably be better at closer range but still be 2 shot. This could mean removing headshot damage and making all damage body shot damage.

I’ve been thinking about other shotty configurations and a semi-auto shotty with slug ammo would require bringing headshot damage back. Incendiary ammo/dragon’s breath could be a lot of fun.

Mines-Oh, and I don’t think I should be able to shoot mines to make them explode until they have armed (to prevent abuse).

(MrEd) #20

[QUOTE=EnderWiggin.DA.;433587] I believe the current shotgun:

1. always has the same spread pattern
  2. grants headshot damage
  3. has very little difference in spread pattern when fired from the hip versus ADS.
    [/QUOTE]

Points 1 & 3 are correct but shotgun currently has no headshot bonus.