User-Interface Frustrations?

(Desparado) #1

I don’t know about the rest of the community, but sometimes I just get so irritated with the user-interface itself. As user friendly as it may be, I feel there may be cracks in the glass.

The barracks. I have several players and going back and forth and back and forth switching weapons, altering and tweaking here and there. Albeit, it doesn’t encourage squad/weapon variants. I like thinking of and using different strategies with toons, thinking outside the box.

One would think there might be a more slim-lined version of what we currently use.

Likewise, in the match itself, I feel having the option of a visible grid at all times (on/off) could be helpful. I’m not sure if others are like me, but I’m new to the strategy game and I’m not the best, and having it be visible would be beneficial it strategics.

(ChaosPinhead) #2

Not so much seeing the grid, but being able to click a unit, move it into position, then “see” the spots it can attack with red circles like it does for enemy units when you click on them would be so helpful. Often times I get nailed because I didn’t realize a sniper could actually make that shot diagonal past 3 objects or something.

I also have issues with the barracks. I don’t know why it is just laggy for me. So when I try to “drag scroll” the units half the time I end up entering the unit as if I tapped on it because the scroll didn’t register.

Units are also in “purchase” order, which is not ideal. I want them to be sortable by class with same units being beside each other. Not having Kate unit unit unit Kate again… I also can’t tell which unit I bought first or which one I need to level up from the barracks without remembering which position it was in when I do find it.

(Sandman77) #3

Yup, I also dislike the fact you rounds/turns are all in a row, have to scroll down fo oldest instead of oldest being top. If you quickmatch a game you always end up playing the latest match which makes no sense to me as I do the oldest first…

(Sandpuppy) #4

what would be great would be a way to save certain configurations, so you can set several standard variants for 14/20/26 matches
experimenting by loading up and modifying this ground-formations would be so much easier

& even when not experimenting, I hate to change weapons all the time to adjust to the squad points

(Desparado) #5

[QUOTE=Sandpuppy;420858]what would be great would be a way to save certain configurations, so you can set several standard variants for 14/20/26 matches
experimenting by loading up and modifying this ground-formations would be so much easier

& even when not experimenting, I hate to change weapons all the time to adjust to the squad points[/QUOTE]

What a grand idea! Soldier “Loadouts”, and one could press the Loadout button per soldier to see sets of their saved variants. Very good, sir. I like it. Repping post :smiley:

(Sandpuppy) #6

thanks desperado, though I thought of it more instead of the “dice” button when putting together your team (does anyone ever use it?)

this button would bring up a menu with preset custom configurations of soldiers AND weapons - for example 14a = huan with otto, madame with awuga, commander with hoo-hah, 14b = huan with otto, kate with awuga, commander with audomadic, 20a = etc. etc.

you should be able to give them custom names (for example 3snipers, 2 medics, city center, …) and then toy around with light modifications :slight_smile:

(Desparado) #7

I’m leaning towards more of a Loadout feature, rather than Dice/Random preset.
I would prefer my own presets, as (to answer your question) I have hardly used Dice unless against the AI.

(Doenerkatz) #8

I came here to post a UI-Suggestion and noticed that I had just come up with Sandpuppy’s idea in the Open Discussion: Possible Game Updates/Suggestions section :rolleyes: Well, doesn’t hurt to post a good idea twice, right.
Anyway, the UI: After finishing a turn you should just be rerouted to the next open game instead of going through the whole menu again. Or maybe have an additional option where the “finishing turn” button is; so a “next game” button or something like that.

(Catnadian) #9

The one thing that gets me about the UI is that you can’t press through the damage/AP cost box over the heads of targeted enemy soldiers. If you want to reposition yourself to the movement box it covers, for instance, you have to rotate the camera so that the square you want to move to is uncovered.

(G4S) #10

I do not really understand the idea of the “red circles” on the battle field, when you select an enemy toon. Somehow I am expecting the possibility to “see”, after I finish my turn, where my opponent should move to attack me. Or I didn’t know something? :slight_smile:

(Warchest_Andy) #11

Those red circles show you which tiles the enemy toon can hit with their weapon from their current position. If you make sure you’re not on one of the red tiles, that enemy toon can’t hit you without moving first (or without you being moved by some weapon or ability during the enemy turn).

(G4S) #12

Thank you, for information, it is clear now. I am not sure it is a right thread to discuss, but if to compare this game with chess, where you could see your opponent possible move or attack RAD is more unpredictable. In some cases it can be used other device and account to imagine how easy your soldier could be reached. Of course, as more you play, more exp you get, but on non standard situations with “qualified” competitor it is question of luck. May be I am too lazy to count cells, if it is actually possible. That is why, I wonder if the battle interface (in principal) may provide such possibility?

(g00n) #13

I’d like to see when you finished a game and it is sending to opponent that dosnt go back to barracks where you toggle through your toons. It should go back to page of opponents waiting for your turn, if none then to the world page.

(Ciakgb) #14

I said that in the beta, why barracks?

(g00n) #15

Sometimes on artillery/grenade or shot the camera view is thrown or pushed to the edge of map (like recoil, blast or over penetration)and it is a pain to toggle back to where you were. I noticed after rio upgrade is very over the top especially sniper rifles.

(g00n) #16

somehow to incorporate toon weapon option in the part to play a multi game rather than exit and then go to barracks and return to challenge