Tournament feedback so far

(Crozzton) #1

Mjallo lads and lassies

First of all ill like to thank the ppl being primus motor behind the event. Great initiative and so far very few things to point at at this stage. It has been great fun.

Rules: those will be more static next time. We went from best out of 3 to two matches, not sure why but I didn’t notice until I had a draw against 2 ppl and though I had a last game to make up for my bad play.
The full tournament lay down will there from the start next time since this is a “beta” so to speak

Toon rules: maybe we need some errata rules. Meaning things that have been said from devs that isn’t working as intended isn’t allowed. Here I think about Pete and the cockler/Uzi.

Brackets/setup like the grp setup for grp fights and were curious as to what the knockdown part had coming. And how many we’re going through to stage two. I hoped for Swiss draw at knockout and were involved a bit on MIRC as what the tour holders had in mind. What it ended up with I don’t know.

Summary. Like the no stress factor and friendly way it is build. Easy contact to tour holders who is keeping an eye on these forums. I look forward to full rules from beginning next time but must say that this “beta” has smooth without it.

Players: I have been blessed with playing with the most friendly players I have met. Good players with the right spirit. I know most from the other grps so I know it is not only my grp that is positive. There have been only one no show in our grp and one have been inactive during weekend. Since the age span is prolly vast I reckon there are some drinking and being young during weekends ( I know I did)
However I fear that the games started with those will be forfeited and hope the rule will be that forfeited games will be won by the active player ( believe I have seen that somewhere)

Playing styles.
Been writing a lot with many of you to know a little a about how you are doing in the tour. Curious about who I can meet and what ppl tend to use. Not just to be prepared but also in order to make a post like this concerning the meta game. Tinker have already touched this subject and he is also one I frequently talk with to get a second opinion.
Juan/Pete/Kate/Gus one or more of these are in ALL winning teams. That is no coincidence. It is by fAr the best toons you can have atm. 1vs1 for points they will win against all others. Meaning you get the most of your points by picking these. Tinker have mentioned why in another thread but to sum. Ghosting combined with ottogun= loads of dam at right positioning. Dots all over. Nerf Kate’s dot and increase Juan’s to the same. Let Juan’s be heal able (at least by Gus since he has a water cannon) make artillery a 3 pts ( my suggestion) making 14 pts a whole new game all over. Gus’s water cannon make
it a one time use or increase the cost so it is t as flexible.
Ppl play defensively all over atm which is ok , but with the lack of melee power there is no counter and therefor defensive is the only playingstyle. Which again makes certain maps too powerful to start on. When not having to worry about a ghosted melee you are pretty much secure if you control middle from start and have the healing power to negate grenades and whatnot from opponents first turn.

Anyhow will return after completion of the tournament ( hopefully after seeing the end of it)
Kevin aka crozzton

(tinker) #2

I agree on most points.

not certain if the artillery or gus watercannon must be fixed - but I could be too close to make an objective comment.

I think you can swap it to Juan, Kate, lahacque - at least this is my opinion. I’ve faced 1 gus (playing him myselfe but nearly nobody else).
no Pete seen so far- at least I cannot remember
mainly you can cut it to Kate - she is in 90% of the opposing teams (not in mine thought - only if I counter enemy)

just as you said, your group seems nice. I don’t wanna blame someone but I can say, I have to wait long for the enemies to make their turn - sometimes more than a day. I’m not sure If I will be finished in the next few hours ( is today still the deadline?)

same goes for the best of three–> 2 games only. the BEST would be best of 5 but it would take too long. If a player wins 9 matches and looses1 in average ( we all had stochastik in school I guess) there is an interesting chance for a newer player to WIN that 1 of 10 and therefor strike the Draw.
but the circumstances demanded the swap I guess.

all in all I think you hit the most important points crozzton.
still have to be grateful for the organization of the tourney. Especially for active players that play for quite long ( e.g. EL-CO, Crozzton, me…) that have nearly every character and weapon once or twice this is a great thing besides the usual fun of gaming.
so

Thanks for the awesome game!!! thanks for the tournament!!!

with friendly regards
tinker :slight_smile:

(Crozzton) #3

The water cannon haven’t been my worst enemy but many have brought it up so took it in. Artillery is used in all games and is by far the best and VERY good in 14 pts and it is the first pick by most. The strategy is often based on it somehow. The block is used sometimes as a surprise to secure middle for the last turn. If u remove it from 14 pts games you will open up for more strategies.
Another way is reducing how many times you can use it. But that will influence 20/26 too much imo.
Thx for the feedback tinker
I will try and update it a bit later. Since we seemingly encounter different meta game within our grps it is called for a revised edition after knockout.

(Sandman77) #4

Deadline today? I cant make that, sorry…

We should have had rules stating to bugs abuse, no use of same character twice and a high level player vs a low level player is well unfair too.

(Crozzton) #5

Tuesday is last day afaik. Saw Paul writing it somewhere
High lvl doesn’t mean good player!! It means he has played more. U can be lvl 40 and lost all games. I don’t look at lvls as a measure of play. Most of my defeats come from lowerlvls

(N30k) #6

You don’t need to use kate or juan to win though, I’m at 3 wins without using either. (And maybe just maybe a 4th :))
But maybe I would use them if I had the money, I don’t know! :wink:

They’re not unbeatable for me and I don’t need them per say so I don’t feel they are too powerful. Yet everyone else uses them so that kills the variety of the game somewhat. There are so many fun characters yet everyone picks the same two :frowning:
I don’t think they should be nerfed just for the sake of variety though. There is always some good strategy anyway in any game that everyone uses, you can’t really change that I think. In RAD Soldiers almost every choice you can make is already in some way viable.
So I’d rather stick with some strategy that everyone uses that is not too hard to beat (but instead it depends on who you play against as it should) instead of having something super powerful and unbeatable…

Some general feedback on the tournament : it was kind of vague at the start of the group phase what I had to do. I just invited a single guy on the list (I thought I’d just go top down) and started playing against him instead of playing everyone at once. It would be more clear if you’d just get to see clearly who you should invite and before when.

(Crozzton) #7

Nothing is unbeatable. But some setups you need to be really good in order to beat it. It’s correct you didn’t use either in our fights. You used them very well but I didn’t feel pressured as I do when I have a Kate against me. I have played A LOT of matches against non Kate/Juan grps in 14 pts and 9/10 I win due to the fact that there is no Kate to punish my healer if I make an advance into grenade sight.
You can pick up Juan/Kate and be lethal without too much experience. That is WAY harder with your setup. So the fact you do well with your combo tells me I don’t want to play vs you with a Juan/Kate combo :slight_smile:
I am currently testing several other setups to see if I can find one that beats Juan/Kate AND is as effective as my current. Don’t forget that meta game info is what it is all about.

Your right about the start of tour. Weren’t sure what I did was right and could have used a more in depth tutorial.

(ChaosPinhead) #8

N30 the combo you used for almost every match involved pete/cockler. Which is a bug because of the headshot nonsense doing like 150 damage. I’m not surprised you won more than you lost :slight_smile:

(Bwade) #9

Lol just cant win without the pete cockler combo huh?

(Sandman77) #10

Well I think all who lost a game or had an disvantage of a bug and lost should claim victory for that game, otherwise its cheating to me.

(VaderWRX) #11

I loss my first match against him using that combo. I didn’t care because I made some stupid moves in that match and I conceded to losing. Our second match he used Pete with the Otto and I loss again. That was the only time I came across that combo in the tournament.

(Crozzton) #12

[QUOTE=N30k;420604]You don’t need to use kate or juan to win though, I’m at 3 wins without using either. (And maybe just maybe a 4th :))
But maybe I would use them if I had the money, I don’t know! :wink:

They’re not unbeatable for me and I don’t need them per say so I don’t feel they are too powerful. Yet everyone else uses them so that kills the variety of the game somewhat. There are so many fun characters yet everyone picks the same two :frowning:
I don’t think they should be nerfed just for the sake of variety though. There is always some good strategy anyway in any game that everyone uses, you can’t really change that I think. In RAD Soldiers almost every choice you can make is already in some way viable.
So I’d rather stick with some strategy that everyone uses that is not too hard to beat (but instead it depends on who you play against as it should) instead of having something super powerful and unbeatable…

Some general feedback on the tournament : it was kind of vague at the start of the group phase what I had to do. I just invited a single guy on the list (I thought I’d just go top down) and started playing against him instead of playing everyone at once. It would be more clear if you’d just get to see clearly who you should invite and before when.[/QUOTE]

Well you counter it with cockler Pete :stuck_out_tongue:

(EL-CO) #13

I agree that artillery is very useful and best choice in most of the case. However, if you make it 3 points ability, I can imagine most of the 14 pts game will become a kind of deadlock. Both units will never come up from wall and you might have so many inactive turns. Artillery makes the game more active and encourage player to be more aggressive. If you think that the artillery is too good, I would suggest to decrease its damage.

(Crozzton) #14

Good point tbh

(N30k) #15

Woozy Pete only :tongue:, and I switched back to the ottogun when I read that it was a bug. And it wasn’t so good anyway, you basically sacrificed Pete in order to deal like 160-ish surprise damage while he does similar damage with his sniper rifle, which gives him far better range. (How much more powerful was he with the cockler anyway? I don’t have that gun yet.)

(Bwade) #16

N30k why’d u quit our game?

(PERRIX) #17

Paul needs to to set more rules this first stage on my opinion was a totally failed…
First. N of players 37 subscribed that’s not even!!
OMG I got so much to say but I’m lazy to write it!!
1 group was a mess!!

(Crozzton) #18

It’s 4 times 25-27 for 3 energy same again for 5 energy ( with headshot) and normal 30 on top ( if he is right next to target. So a kill on lightweight and combined wit a little whatever damage a kill on everything. And he critters for @33 dam on long range with return fire

(cesarmaurmann) #19

When will this tournment happen?

(Crozzton) #20

It’s on already. But it is the first of many. Keep in touch in here in order to catch the next