Open Discussion: Possible Game Updates/Suggestions

(Desparado) #1

[HR][/HR]
Feel free to agree, disagree, or point out kudos or fualts.

Here is a small, but growing list of suggestions I think could make RAD Soldiers better:

[ol]
[li]Quarterly/Holiday coin/xp bonus days
[/li][li]Multiplayer game variants
[/li][li]the unanymously desired, Chat Feature (Either/or Live Chat like WordsWF, Turn-based Chat like Draw Something!)
[/li][li]Upgradable/Levelable Weapons
[/li]-Weapon feature: Dual Wielding
-Weapon or Feature: Riot Shield
[li]Customizable Character/Recruit features
[/li][li]Update in Map Graphics - Distinguishable colors/ layouts (Brighter (red/blue/white) line for Bomb Zone)
[/li][li]Quest/Storyline (something to build the characters - not challenges)
[/li][li]Levelable “Skills” - eg. Agility, Strength, Stamina, Defense, Etc (Speed-accuracy, melee-throwing distance, Engergy, Shield/HP, Etc)
[/li][li]Normal/Harcore Challenge Difficulty (ie Same enemy soldiers and predictive move patterns / Different enemy soldiers and route pattern on map replay)… Its a thought
[/li][li]Teleport Ability
[/li][li]Dome/Aura Shield Ability (ex. 1-2 turns, 2-3 sq.)
[/li][li]Detailed Stats and High Scores
[/li][li]Long Future, Large Scale maps/battles?..
[/li]-Jan 3-
[li]Increased level cap ~ credit to Bruce-Wayne
[/li][li]Enhancing the idea of C4 drone with a robot gunman. Just a thought.
[/li][li]Energy Renewal crates (like HP crates)
[/li][li]Captain enhancement, customization, etc…
[/li][li]Tiered PvP (fixing imbalanced match-ups) ~ Crozzton
[/li][li]Game Abandonment Penalties for PvP ~ Sandman77
[/li]-Reminding player of game (push notif.)
-Deleting “standstill” games
[li]Tournaments
[/li][li]Selling players and weapons back to the shop ~ Bwade
[/li][li]Enhanced friends list (Profile etc)
[/li][li]Screen shots, video slip recording, sharing ~ credit unkown
[/li][li]Past Games/Game History
[/li][/ol]

(tinker) #2

hello desparado
it’s a nice structured post.
I just think that if all these “things” would be integrated, the game ends in a chess copy of COD.
add some of the other wants of people in the forum and it’s not a chess copy but a COPY of cod … with toons and squares.

[QUOTE=Desparado;418517][B]

[ol]
[li]Quarterly/Holiday coin/xp bonus days[/li][li]Multiplayer game variants[/li][li]the unanymously desired, Chat Feature (Either/or Live Chat like WordsWF, Turn-based Chat like Draw Something!)[/li][li]Upgradable/Levelable Weapons[/li]-Weapon feature: Dual Wielding
[li]Customizable Character/Recruit features[/li][li]Quest/Storyline (something to build the characters - not challenges)[/li][li]Levelable “Skills” - eg. Agility, Strength, Stamina, Defense, Etc (Speed-accuracy, melee-throwing distance, Engergy, Shield/HP, Etc) [/li][li]Detailed Stats and High Scores[/li][li]Long Future, Large Scale maps/battles?..[/li][/ol][/QUOTE]

in THIS list is just what I refer to. to make clear what exactly I mean

I don’t say you should not add some things of these.
I just think that your going into a nerdgame. a game in which casual players lack MUCH of the gaming-potential
many games HAVE features like these,true, but most of them are only on the market for a year untill a new HUGE expansion or a new game is NECESSARY to keep people playing that “game”.
So it is rarely the ONE game, it is more like a storyline of games that are somehow connected to each other.

I think they(devs) can “easily” turn RAD soldiers into ONE game that is played for 2 or 3 years - or even more. And with “turn into” i mean that it should stay nearly as it is at the moment with a few adds- 1-3 characters coming every few months, maybe a little expansion pack with 1-3 new maps and little extras like chat, possibility of saving a game as video on your device, new game mode that combines offline and campaign and a ladder for people who WANT to be in that ladder.
if it expands to other “devices” or platforms - android, windows phone, PC and browser - it could go the long run.
That’s at least my opinion - I might be totally wrong about that

I DO like things/feature/items that you may unlock over time but it is always coupled with the loss of casual players if these features and items give you a good bonus…

In my opinion the game should not be built up like COD, battlefield or other play-to-unlock games.
it should rather be built up like … Starcraft,dota,cs,“CHESS” [as far as you can build a game up like a classical “game”] or other games - where you have what you need right from the beginning - and everything else is just a bonus.
sry if the game-examples are crappy, I hope you get the core of what I mean there

I think someone said about RAD soldiers, it is chess on steroids. and I think this is true.
The game has such a nice mechanic, such a nice artwork.
The game needs regular customers and some advertisement.

As I said, I like some of your thoughts but many of them lead in the wrong direction - in my opinion

with friendly regards
tinker

(Bruce-Wayne) #3

What about raising the level cap?

(Desparado) #4

Yeah I agree, Bruce, or something along those lines of EXPANDING upon the existing.

[QUOTE=tinker;418533]
I don’t say you should not add some things of these.
I just think that your going into a nerdgame. a game in which casual players lack MUCH of the gaming-potential
many games HAVE features like these,true, but most of them are only on the market for a year untill a new HUGE expansion or a new game is NECESSARY to keep people playing that “game”.
So it is rarely the ONE game, it is more like a storyline of games that are somehow connected to each other.

I think they B can “easily” turn RAD soldiers into ONE game that is played for 2 or 3 years - or even more.[/B]

In my opinion the game should not be built up like COD, battlefield or other play-to-unlock games.
it should rather be built up like … Starcraft,dota,cs,“CHESS

The game has such a nice mechanic, such a nice artwork.
The game needs regular customers and some advertisement.[/QUOTE]

Tink, as you did, I slimmed down your post in a quote, to touch on the main points I have put in bold.

I think when stereotype a game with “nerdgame”, its probably best to take a step back and evaluate what you’re truly playing. To a good majority, any video game you’re avidly involved in makes it a nerd game and the player the nerd. But to we the players, these games are fun entertainment that involves a minimal amount of skill and thought.

Which brings me to “casual players”… I know what you mean by casual players, which are players who strictly download an App and play a game until they’re bored (ie unable to find a way to win; stumped). And I think this is what you mean when they lack gaming-potential (which is a misnomer, really), in that you feel (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) that if the Developer’s were to add to and update the game, it would be over-complicated to the player that barely has the attention span and strategy to play the game in its current state- Yes?

I just feel we as players need to be more concerned with enhancing the game, and less concerned with flippant players that download this App (or any other for that matter) because the App Icon and App Store images look cool; and play the game solely for petty reasons, who -in the end- get frustrated since they have run out of strategies after the 3rd Easy Challenge.

I do agree that the game is an inspired and evolved form of Chess. I love Chess, and could not agree more. Though, with Chess being a highly strategic game, I would go as far to say statistics would presumably show people don’t want to play chess because it is too hard, too difficult, too this or too that. But, for us Chess players, its an awesome game that has been played for generations. I do hope no one posts the counter argument of “No one edits or adds to the game of chess”. Yes, there are variations other than the original version.

They game should NOT be modeled after COD, or any other FPS (First Person Shooter).
I don’t know if you can really model it after another game, other than Chess or Stratego (good MB strategy board game). As it is though, the current game state inhibits several COD-like traits; King of the Hill, weapons with varying stats, soldiers are minimally customization (similar to classes)

I think it will be safe to say, the next major update will most likely be a form of in-game chat

Lastly, I am on the fence about regular advertisement. The game has an existing regular customers be it through in-game purchases (which is ultimately the way to purchase anything good. Even a level 30 profile would have a hard time purchasing more than 3-4 guns - NOT INCLUDING RAD Bucks and Soldier recruits. I would probably quit using the App and playing the game if advertisement was introduced. Probably why everything is so expensive.

Look at the Subway Surfers app. Phenomenal success, widely played - stayed simple to the game core, but is introducing loads of new content, that doesn’t interfere with the original game core.

Take it in, let me know.

(Sandman77) #5

I think more affordable content, chat, player stats, player ladder/tournaments and penalties/rewards for finishing game/ending a game should be top priority.

(tinker) #6

You seem not to get what I mean.

each game has content likely to what COD has - it is hard not to have because many things of COD required in each game
the thing is that it seems to me that you copy-pasted what IS in Cod
-riot shield
-leveling up guns
-dual wielding (why didn’t you just say “akimbo”)

you wanted things that in my opinion transform this game into a “nerdgame” - a game that is mainly played by people who have all time in the world and spend it for the game
casual players are those, who DO play the game but only for a little time every second day or so
how can those people get all special play-to-unlock features when they have no time to play.
AT THE MOMENT the game gives even those players the possibility to unlock all content they want for a fair price - although in my opinion you have a great setup at the very beginning you can play with without any lack of strategical elements.

In other words, I disagree to some of your points

btw. with advertisement I do not mean those crappy banners saying “go visit there or here” ig , I mean they shall EXPAND - one option would be advertisement on websites or even the television

(Desparado) #7

It is what they truly intend the game to be, obviously. So, in a point, it matters little how we feel opposed to their constructive direction.

But you must understand that time is what it takes to be good at a game (skill, weapons, level, etc), not money buying equipment or recruits. Leave it available to still buy out the game for those that want attempt to buy experience, but I still believe achievable rewards varying from the storefront would still be smart.

I really think Call of Duty is an exaggerated relation- Its a console game, FPS vs. Strategy. The only real link is from the military side of it; if it was medieval (such as chess), would you compare it to Oblivion or WoW?

And you’re going to criticize dual wield, when it is a monumental addition in MANY games across the board; Runescape, D&D, WoW, CoD, Halo, etc etc.

I commend your passion, but I think you need to take some the seriousness out of the situation. Take it for what it is, a possible exciting addition.I don’t think it would ruin the game. Just like you can give a 12AP player a hammer and they can travel across the map, likewise to Sneaky Pete who can turn invisible and turn on extra damage with the hammer as well. Tricky compilations, but its a thought. Dual Wielding also comes with boundaries and capping; certain soldiers only? Certain weapons only? etc

(Crozzton) #8

I will welcome loads of the suggestions ppl have come up with as long as they find away of balancing it so new players just don’t get nuked by psychotic upgraded insanity units with self targeting atom bomb bullets from hell.

If they make lvls on weapons/toons/abilities they need to make sure ppl fight on the same tier lvl.
All the toons and stuff we have now could be tier 1 and when xx% of weapons/toons from tier 2 (or upgraded from tier 1)bracket is bought/upgraded you will then only be matched up in the tier 2 pool of players only.
In that way the pool you play in will directly reflect the activity you have in RAD soldiers.

You can even out the casuals vs experienced in several ways instead.
-Handicap in form of less/ more damage/points.

• simply make 2-3 queues to sign up in. The the player can decide how “good” he is.

The handicap way will still be a somewhat uneven match and the queue system is ok but since ppl still sign up in 26 pts games as lvl 8 with 2 toons I reckon too many will queue to the hardest queue by mistake for that to work. Will annoying to queue up for a hard match and get “goatmilker” at lvl 8 with his Cap and knarly Dave doing one round every second day

Therefor Ibelieve a tier divider is needed to insure that casuals will meet casuals and the more hard core players will be parred.
If the frame for that is set I believe they can more or less implement whatever as long as it is true to the core elements of the game.

New aspects and ways of playing the game makes a game stay fresh and interesting but I will agree with Tinker that they shouldn’t overdo it. When will they have overdo e it you ask? Well that might be an individual opinion in this case. We all have our threshold for how much we like changes.

One of you mentioned WOW. I really loved the game and played it hardcore until they announced MOP expansion. That’s when it lost it for me. Felt it was going the wrong way and this was the drop that made the cup spill for me.

Don’t know if any of you ever played magic the gathering, but it is a card game the have expansions every 3 months and the game is as original as when it started 20 years ago, but while keeping the core elements intact they still manage to bring new abilities and effects into the game with every expansion WITHOUT making it harder to learn or play than it was 20 years ago. It is ofc hard to master.

but any game that is not hard to master is not worth playing IMO :slight_smile:

That’s my 20 cent on the subject

(Catnadian) #9

[QUOTE=Desparado;418517]
[li]Quarterly/Holiday coin/xp bonus days
[/li][li]Multiplayer game variants
[/li][li]the unanymously desired, Chat Feature (Either/or Live Chat like WordsWF, Turn-based Chat like Draw Something!) [/quote]
[/li]
I’m behind these three all the way. Whenever I think of chat in this game though I think of post game messages for some reason. Turn-based chat would probably be the closest to it.

[li]Upgradable/Levelable Weapons
[/li]> -Weapon feature: Dual Wielding

Not feeling this. Dual-wielding would be too finicky and yet another thing to monitor for nerfs, and unless you had a system in mind I can’t see one that really works. On a personal level I think it’s just a bit silly.

Riot Shield is pretty much already in the game. Don’t see much of a point in dedicating an entire soldier to the role when you can have a dedicated riot shield/pretty good frontliner in Dee Hatlacker.

[li]Customizable Character/Recruit features
[/li]> [li]Update in Map Graphics - Distinguishable colors/ layouts (Brighter (red/blue/white) line for Bomb Zone)
[/li]

I’m personally fine with what we’ve got as far as customization and think the point is visible enough, but I have no objections to either of these.

[li]Quest/Storyline (something to build the characters - not challenges)
[/li]> [li]Levelable “Skills” - eg. Agility, Strength, Stamina, Defense, Etc (Speed-accuracy, melee-throwing distance, Engergy, Shield/HP, Etc)
[/li]

I really don’t think skills will add anything to the game that will make it objectively better, especially not anything that alters HP or AP, which would be terrible. If such a skill system is ever implemented, it would have to be carefully set up, but really I think that’s a bit too complex for what the game’s going for. We’ll see.

[li]Normal/Harcore Challenge Difficulty (ie Same enemy soldiers and predictive move patterns / Different enemy soldiers and route pattern on map replay)… Its a thought
[/li]

There is an AI in Challenge mode, it’s just that most of the challenge stems not from it but from “alright, we’ve tied your hand behind your back, here’s a stick we found lying around, have at 'em”.

[li]Teleport Ability
[/li]> [li]Dome/Aura Shield Ability (ex. 1-2 turns)
[/li]

Maybe Captain abilities someday. No teleports, oh god please no teleports.

[li]Detailed Stats and High Scores
[/li]

I’m really against there being detailed personal stats as it will likely cultivate the wrong sort of attitude in the community. For reference, my win rate is ALL GAMES and my loss rate is I NEVER LOSE. ok no

Also no leaderboards. Leaderboards are a joke and all of the ones I’ve seen get hacked to hell and back anyways.

[li]Long Future, Large Scale maps/battles?..
[/li]

I’d like to see this. I might even be comfortable with crazy 40 point matches or something. Go nuts.

-Jan 3-
[li]Increased level cap ~ credit to Bruce-Wayne
[/li]> [li]Enhancing the idea of C4 drone with a robot gunman. Just a thought.
[/li]

Level cap and soldier XP cap will probably get raised sometime as new Captain skills are added (if they are added). I think a deployable EOD bot that shot a little plinker gun would be cute, but I’d leave any serious thinking about it to the dev team.

[li]Energy Renewal crates from your Captain
[/li]

what

[li]Captain enhancement, customization, etc…
[/li]

Can’t get behind this enough. If not customization, some carefully balanced weapon additions would be nice, new skills would be great, and some outfits would be a treat.

(Desparado) #10

[QUOTE=Crozzton;418683]I will welcome loads of the suggestions ppl have come up with as long as they find away of balancing it so new players just don’t get nuked by psychotic upgraded insanity units with self targeting atom bomb bullets from hell.

If they make lvls on weapons/toons/abilities they need to make sure ppl fight on the same tier lvl.
All the toons and stuff we have now could be tier 1 and when xx% of weapons/toons from tier 2 (or upgraded from tier 1)bracket is bought/upgraded you will then only be matched up in the tier 2 pool of players only.
In that way the pool you play in will directly reflect the activity you have in RAD soldiers.

You can even out the casuals vs experienced in several ways instead.
-Handicap in form of less/ more damage/points.

• simply make 2-3 queues to sign up in. The the player can decide how “good” he is.

The handicap way will still be a somewhat uneven match and the queue system is ok but since ppl still sign up in 26 pts games as lvl 8 with 2 toons I reckon too many will queue to the hardest queue by mistake for that to work. Will annoying to queue up for a hard match and get “goatmilker” at lvl 8 with his Cap and knarly Dave doing one round every second day

Therefor Ibelieve a tier divider is needed to insure that casuals will meet casuals and the more hard core players will be parred.
If the frame for that is set I believe they can more or less implement whatever as long as it is true to the core elements of the game.

New aspects and ways of playing the game makes a game stay fresh and interesting but I will agree with Tinker that they shouldn’t overdo it. When will they have overdo e it you ask? Well that might be an individual opinion in this case. We all have our threshold for how much we like changes.

One of you mentioned WOW. I really loved the game and played it hardcore until they announced MOP expansion. That’s when it lost it for me. Felt it was going the wrong way and this was the drop that made the cup spill for me.

Don’t know if any of you ever played magic the gathering, but it is a card game the have expansions every 3 months and the game is as original as when it started 20 years ago, but while keeping the core elements intact they still manage to bring new abilities and effects into the game with every expansion WITHOUT making it harder to learn or play than it was 20 years ago. It is ofc hard to master.

but any game that is not hard to master is not worth playing IMO :slight_smile:

That’s my 20 cent on the subject[/QUOTE]

I’m glad you cam to our rescue, Crozz. And perhaps, the median that Tink and I needed to find common ground. Underlined in the above quote, I thought you brought up and said several smart things.

Adding your ideas to the list, and giving credit.

(tinker) #11

I’m not taking it too serious.
I think you take this thread too serious
You say “Feel free to agree, disagree, or point out kudos or fualts.”
I felt free and you started turning every of my sentences against me, but I’m ok with it, because I do not care.
but let me defend myself

[QUOTE=Desparado;418670][/QUOTE]

it needs no time to be good at a game like this.
do you think that chess needs actual skill? it is a mindgame - you have to know your opponent, you have to guess his strategy and you have to trick him while wearing a pokerface.
Once you got all basic information about the game and understood the mechanic you have what you need and may start right away.
I had no trouble getting into the game. I screenshotted every finished game and know exactly how many games I won and how many I lost and I do know that I lost 2 of my 10 at the very beginning because I made a huge mistake I did not do again.
that’s not supposed to be a “pose” - I just wanna say : the game is a mindgame - not a skillgame (where I’d count WoW Arena, BLC, DotA, CS… to) I think starcraft is a nice mix of both (or warcraft /3ft)

no it’s not only the military side. It is, as I said , a GAME. you have people who create it and update it and customers that buy the game and play it. And as game they share common things - maps(different) weapons, builds…
it’s not like i’m saying CoD has SO MUCH in common with RAD soldiers up there or do I??

where did I criticize it? do you even read what I write? I’m saying it looks like you copy-pasted it from COD
I already posted in other threads something like a double knife could be funny or golden desert eagles or anything like that and I also say here that some of your suggestions are cool in my opinion…

[QUOTE=Desparado;418670]
I commend your passion, but I think you need to take some the seriousness out of the situation. Take it for what it is, a possible exciting addition.I don’t think it would ruin the game. Just like you can give a 12AP player a hammer and they can travel across the map, likewise to Sneaky Pete who can turn invisible and turn on extra damage with the hammer as well. Tricky compilations, but its a thought. Dual Wielding also comes with boundaries and capping; certain soldiers only? Certain weapons only? etc[/QUOTE]

Do I compare real life situations to anything in the game?
You can shoot a big guy with a pistol for over 12 times - oh my god he must be rambo
it’s not like i’m making fun of you - it’s just funny that you think I’d take it too serious while you start turning around each and every word of my post - that you probably haven’t even read :slight_smile:

so to complete my post here I write what I said already a few times but you seem to ingore it.
In my opinion the game is fine as it is but would be even better with a few adds like a chat- tournaments - new maps characters weapons and skins from time to time and some other things that I posted earlier.

(Desparado) #12

Alright, bro. Whatever you say.

I did want to add though, I do read your posts, As I read everyone’s.

And if bulb was bright enough, you would see that I acknowledge your redundant posts on COD. I get it. You think it reflects a similar or exact copy of COD; hence " I’m saying it looks like you copy-pasted it from COD", “each game has content likely to what COD has”, “should not be built up like COD”.

It sounds like you must play it a lot. And thats great. But a few suggestions I don’t believe turns the game into a console, first person shooter, based on war… You’re right, I’m referring to RAD, a strategy game, most similar to Chess, not even remotely war-based with katana’s and hand-held Gatling guns. Forgive me for referring to RAD as a war game. That was incorrectly said.

Feel free to point out flaws. Comments like “might as well call it akimbo” don’t refer to friendly commentary. It rather reads a vibe of “Are you stupid? Have you not played CoD? And because one game did it, lets not consider it”.

Asinine commentary is likely to upset and irritate anyone.

I felt free and you started turning every of my sentences against me, but I’m ok with it, because I do not care.
but let me defend myself

You don’t care… but you’re going to defend yourself. Contradictory.

it needs no time to be good at a game like this.
do you think that chess needs actual skill? it is a mindgame

Wow. No comment…

(Crozzton) #13

Oh and my biggest wish is some kind of tournament form.

I would love arranged tournaments with ingame prices and ladder system and so on but know that this will take time to implement. But a tournament between friends option would be cool. For example:
12 friends invited into a tournament with 5 rounds Swiss. Each round could have a limited timing or the whole tournament could have limited time.
1 day per opponent before forfeit of active player and new opponents is given. No need for prices in this option. But it is a great, fun and competitive way of interacting and fighting your friends.

(Crozzton) #14

Tink and desp: you guys need to remember that in the written words it is hard to decipher the mood in which it is written and letters leaves everything open to interpretation.
Get back on track and use arguments concerning the gameplay rather than what you meant or believe the other meant :slight_smile:
Understand both of your arguments and you aren’t that far from each other as I see it but things aren’t as black and white as it seems.

While you both have a view on how the game is played no one is right in the sense that you have the correct way of seeing it. Neither do I.
Ill try not to become to philosophical here but bottom line is that none of you are in a place where you can claim to be more right than the other. It all depends on your way of seeing the “world”

Anyways. While chess is a math game figuring out what to do several turns ahead with the different possible outcome of your opponents next moves, RAD soldiers adds a bit more flavor to that frame (type of game)
Chess exists within a very outlined frame of defined boundaries. There is no David vs Goliath effects no sudden surprices that couldn’t be seen on beforehand. RAD soldiers have all the elements of chess in the sense of defined moving limited board, arsenal and such. It does however have the element of surprices/disappointment that chess haven’t Critchance and you have weapons doing varied damage depending on, what seems to be a computer dice roll.
That leaves room for the unexpected and let’s the player figure out how to adapt to this.
This game is more like the games workshop game “necromunda”
Anyways need sleep.

(Roar) #15

COD = Base equipment/weapons unlocked at the beginning are viable for all combat, future unlocks simply allow for versatility.

RAD = Base equipment/soldiers unlocked at the beginning are viable for all combat, future unlocks simply allow for versatility.

Progression curves dictate a lot of this stuff and the developers of games have full control of what, how and when the customer has access to the content.

No need for arguing guys.

(Desparado) #16

Agreed.

Anyways, can we get back to MAKING suggestions, and less of the actual criticism (unless you can provide it constructively).
Sounds gay I know. But my intentions were basic, a suggestion thread to compile the most talked about or best unheard.

(Bwade) #17

To add to the suggestion for the chat feature i would like to have it but i really dont care for the in-game chat just outside so you can message a friend and tell him lets do an all meelee match or something of that nature. If its offensive just make it to where you can only message people on your friends list thats cool with me also.

(Catnadian) #18

I was thinking maybe variation in existing maps, something like when a map is chosen, there is also a random chance that the weather is different or the lighting is changed or there’s snow on the ground, something like that. It’s not really major, but I think it would be pleasant.

(Desparado) #19

So lets see here… we have

Cosmetic Map Variants ~ Catnadain
nother vote for turn-based chat
Tiered PvP (fixing imbalanced match-ups) ~ Crozzton
Game Abandonment Penalties for PvP ~ Sandman77
Tournaments* (widely agreed upon)

Right? Did I miss any?

(Bwade) #20

My suggestion on selling of weapons and characters