Camden Feedback

(DarkangelUK) #1

Gonna bullet point it up, let the discussion flow then word it out a little. I know the map is brand new, but there’s some stuff needs fixed so we can test it properly, even in box form.

Map Bugs

[ul]
[li]2nd switch doesn’t always work.[/li][li]No announcer for C4 plant and defuse.[/li][li]Bushes shield everyone and can’t make them out[/li][/ul]

Gameplay

[ul]
[li]Defence spawn too close to the 1st objective[/li][li]Defence spawn too close to the 2nd objective[/li][li]Defence spawn too close to the 3rd objectve[/li][li]Defence spawn too close to the 4th objective[/li][li]2nd objective is far too open[/li][/ul]

Most stuff could be fixed by changes to the defence spawn areas.

(Pytox) #2

Also to bushes make it hard sometimes :slight_smile:

(Humate) #3

Best map so far.

(INF3RN0) #4

I really love the open map design. That said DA pretty much summed up the problems.

(DarkangelUK) #5

It’s a good map definitely, just needs some shifting about to make it work better and stop the full holds.

(iwound) #6

2nd objective lever only needs a small barrier defence side chest height
and the tracks area needs to have a slight curve rather than dead straight to encourage movement from defence rather than
have camp as the only option. atm you just find a spot and wait rather than made to work for it.

(Humate) #7

As stated already appreciate the open style of the map… ive been playing with music lately, so I cant hear any of the game’s audio feedback which tends to get me killed :). However on this map, it didnt matter so much, everything was pretty intuitive.

Also both attack and defence (regardless of progression) was pretty enjoyable.

(.FROST.) #8

I like the map(size/immediately back in action after spawning), can’t wait for the textures. Objectives are nice too. The matches were quick with a lot of head on fights and only little sniping. I don’t like it when it’s getting too tactical. And even though I’m quite average with my reflex skills I prefer it when maps favour the later one or are at least have it 50/50.

Sometimes I like stuff like ArmA(very different subgenre I know) where you stalk the enemy for ten minutes, without firing a single shot. But after work I usually just want some fast paced action that wakes me up. There’s no brand of coffee in the world that has that adrenaline pumping effect, that a session of good ol’ fashioned fps-gaming can have. That’s why Aquarium was allways one of my favourite maps in BRINK. There was outflanking, but you allways knew where the core action/the main brawl was.

As I’ve said, LB is my favourite map in DB, but not necessarily gameplay wise. People are too scattered there. I know it shouldn’t, but it encourages a lone wolf mentality. The best way too avoid “lone wolfing” is to have medium to small sized maps, completely focused on the objectives. Then, no matter if you are a lone wolf or not, you’ll automatically contribute to your team’s success since you simply can’t stray around and harvest rear end charlies in long desserted hallways, far away from the objective. My first impression of Camden was, that the map is exactly this, very objective focused.

(mortis) #9

Repairing the first switch gives me the message: using the PDA or something like that. Is this correct?

(ras) #10

Cool map, has a lot of potential.

Just throwing in my agreement with Darkangel on all points. Was getting a few Brink flashbacks with how close the defense spawns to the objective vs the offense.

(rookie1) #11

this …^^

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #12

First thing I noticed is I can actually see the enemy players easily which makes it a lot more fun. Yeah, I know it’s just blocked out.

(INF3RN0) #13

I hope that we can get the spawn balance issues sorted out soon because Camden is definitely my most favorite experience so far. Also as soon as Christmas break starts in about a week for me I was planning to organize some test scrimmages with as closely balanced teams as possible. I don’t plan to play competitively myself, but I think it would be good to see how the maps play out with competitive style comms/organization.

(Evil-Doer) #14

This map is BY FAR the best yet. **** I’ll take it with the textures you have now. Just fix these spawn and spawn times :slight_smile:

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #15

Food for thought:
Purposely unbalanced tests are as important as balanced tests imo. You don’t want a map where an average team can hold a good team (container city, railgun, valley, slipgate, reactor).

(INF3RN0) #16

[QUOTE=EnderWiggin.DA.;413243]Food for thought:
Purposely unbalanced tests are as important as balanced tests imo. You don’t want a map where an average team can hold a good team (container city, railgun, valley, slipgate, reactor).[/QUOTE]

I know, but so far all we have been testing are the unbalanced games. The opposite scenario needs some tests as well ;).

(chump) #17

I like the concept of the map with the simplicity and open spaces, but it has a lot of flaws. First of all, the spawn times are broken. Defense spawns way too fast. Secondly, defense has a few too many high ground advantages. Take the first objective for example - there are 3 basic paths attackers can take. You can go left, where you face a high ground disadvantage, and where you are also in range of getting naded right from the defensive spawn, you can go up the middle where you are extremely exposed, if you go up the middle (under bridge) you can turn left where there is high ground, go to the enemy spawn, or go right where there is high ground and bushes for defense to hide in, and the third path attackers can take, right side out of spawn, you also face high ground. It may not seem like much, but defense should not be getting more advantages. On the objective where attackers deliver data to the helicopter, defenders get a bridge where they can shoot down on the attackers.

Building the switches is really hard for attackers. I know that its skewed because of spawn times, but if a single defender is alive he can stop the person building the switch from range. Some sort of cover is needed and progress shouldn’t decay.

Bushes. So annoying. I keep thinking I can run through some of them then get stuck. It’s incredibly hard to see someone when they are standing in front of a bush, not to mention that you can actually stand “in” some of the bushes. You can also place turrets in the bushes and they are hard to find/kill.

Maps should have defenders spawn closer to the objective on a longer spawn time. Attackers should spawn further on a shorter time. High ground should be neutral.