First impression on Sprint:

(Evil-Doer) #1

Ok-

This is just my initial thoughts on the sprinting from a few games. It seems as if it is unlimited; I’m thinking, an maybe some will agree that there should be a bar that can be exhausted an then refills over time like the rest of the items.

Also, is it meant to not allow you to shoot while your in the midst of the sprint? I find if I have it toggled on an I get in a fight, not only do I have to wait that initial second or two to shoot, I have to deactivate the sprint so it doesn’t cut my shooting out.

I’ll play more an come back, but maybe there could be a sprint bar that you can use and also be able to shoot while using it. Adds another element to the movement an dodging ability in close quarter fights.

(tokamak) #2

It’s meant to traverse long distances in order to get you back into the action whenever you stray. It’s supposed to have limited functionality during fighting, it’s not a combat stratagem.

(amazinglarry) #3

But there’s an argument that maybe it should be. Just because there’s an intention that something is supposed to be used one way or another doesn’t mean it’s correct. Thus the ‘Feedback and Impressions’.

I know I would take speed in firefights any way I could get it, and with sprint right now being ‘unlimited’ there’s almost no reason I’m not sprinting 100% of the time… so I can understand a little frustrating or it being a bit jarring that there’s a delay when attempting to fire from a sprint.

If it were the reverse, and a sprint bar were added with the ability to fire while sprinting you better believe I’d be saving it for firefights.

(tokamak) #4

I know I would take speed in firefights any way I could get it

Exactly, and you would also take god mode if you could. Being a fast moving target is a huge advantage currently and if you add sprinting to it then it’s just a no brainer, everyone would need to sprint and shoot all the time to stand a chance.

Then you offer a sprint bar as compensation, this would completely wreck the travel function it has now simply because in order to have the bar to stop sprint and shoot to be a no-brainer the sprint supply would have to be incredibly limited.

And then we haven’t even gotten into the number of fights you can win simply by having sprint supply left while your opponent does it. In essence it means you’ve got a limited replenisble I WIN button under your hands. I’m not even exaggerating because W:ET frequently felt like that at times.

(amazinglarry) #5

I simply meant that I can understand how it can be confusing that sprint SEEMS to be unlimited due to no sprint bar, until you actually get into a firefight and it disappears. Re-reading it I can see how that isn’t entirely clear.

Edit: Also meant to say I don’t necessarily subscribe to “This is how it’s supposed to be.” Part of the testing is to determine whether current implementations of systems feel right or are as good as they can be.

So just because the unlimited sprint is meant to help you get back into the fight quicker, doesn’t mean it’s how players would want or expect it to behave… and now is the time to give honest feedback on how it feels.

(DarkangelUK) #6

It’s ok, toka doesn’t see the other side of the coin. He sees that being a moving target is an advantage, yet doesn’t realise that you’re also at a disadvantage as you need to do the finger shuffle for movement all the while keeping the gun on target. It’s a two way street, everyone can do it and no one is at a disadvantage except those that don’t take the time to learn it… so don’t punish those that do.

(Evil-Doer) #7

Well I can see both sides of this…

I understand if the intention is to use sprint just to “return to the battle” rather than for strategic fighting.

Per older games (ie: RTCW, ET) if you can see this perspective toka you could still easily win fights with no sprint left. But you could also use your sprint stringently to get a few strafe jumps off to get somewhere faster then save some for a fight. While if you stopped all together it would regenerate back to a full bar. So you didn’t ALWAYS have full sprint when you got in a fight, it dependent upon what you did or chose to do.

I understand both sides definitely. The way it is right now, basically sprint to location, then use normal speed. Because if you get caught off gaurd by an opponent and your sprinting, you should, if the opposing player shoots properly die first. Where as if you happen to not use up your entire sprint bar if you did have a regenerating bar that you could also shoot while using it, you could get to a location fast.

Example: I spawn an immediately use sprint to get out of spawn faster but right as I get near the battle an enemy pops out in front of me…he has full sprint an possibility to kill me WHILE sprinting, now skill is involved; I still have smidgen of sprint left but I may be able to out foot work him at the start of the battle to get ahead in this fight. But he has more sprint left so he may be able to catch up by dodging my bullets with a little addition of more speed because he didn’t have his fully used up yet, like myself.

Hopefully i’m getting across what i’m trying to here. If the sprint is meant strictly for getting to a location then using normal, ok i’ll work with that more an see what feelings I have about timings an map locations on spawns an such.

(tokamak) #8

That’s not an equal balance if YOU are the one making the decision and knowing where you’re moving next. There’s an initiative there that is essentially free. You know very well what I mean, having a full sprint bar in the midst of combat IS a huge advantage.

(DarkangelUK) #9

You say that like it’s only select people that would have it. Everyone has, therefore the advantage is in the hands of user to put them in that position, so again you want to punish someone that can manage it well over those that are reckless with it.

(Evil-Doer) #10

I agree with you 100 percent toka, but also what do you think about the thousands of scenarios that come about, by choosing when an where you want to use that sprint if you have a sprint bar?

(tokamak) #11

Well first of all it would also consume many scenarios that can happen under the current system. The only thing I don’t like about the sprint is the acceleration time it needs. Without that acceleration time it allows you to quickly get out of harms way by sacrificing your combat potency. It basically means forfeiting your position, withdrawing, regrouping and trying agian. That’s strategy. With a combat sprint bar you get the opposite, you get people throwing themselves into the fray in a last effort to get another kill versus their death. This is something that would add to the already quick and prematurely ending nature DB currently has and everyone detests.

Not everyone has it all the time. That’s the problem with the charge bar. The amount left in your bar is too circumstantial and too often determines fights which means too often players get a free pass in a shoot-out and it surprises me that you of all people would like to see that happening.

And again,it would ruin the travel function. It would mean less capacity to poke for weak points and flank your opponent.

(DarkangelUK) #12

Were’t you just preaching the the differences between cerebral skill and hand eye co-ordination in another thread? Stop being heavy handed with the sprint button and know when is best to use it.

(btw I’m all for keeping it 100% of the time, I just think your reasons are severely flawed)

(Evil-Doer) #13

I see your perspective, but really don’t think it ends as drastic as you may think it would be. That’s where working with balances comes in to play. But there does come a point where players learn when an where to use sprint in certain cases. Which adds an entire new ball game to the game play. Do you like the idea of a sprint bar at all toka, if not how come?

(tokamak) #14

There’s many parameters that can be changed to balance it. On the outset shooting and non shooting seems binary but of course there’s all kinds of limitations you can apply on shooting while sprinting (that everyone here would hate).

The real problem is the conflict in sprint as a combat move and sprint as a travel move. You simply can’t have both, no matter how you balance it. No matter what you change, it will always pull the balance one way or the other, never bring them together as two fully functional options.

You and DA are both ignoring this dilemma. A combat sprint would mean the end of a meaningful difference between running and travelling and that’s something I’d hate to see happening.

(Evil-Doer) #15

I know that you probably don’t want to hear about it but I have to bring up RTCW…Had a sprint bar an there was literally no flaw in the game play at all in the gunning aspect. Just saying. It’s essential to compare from old games to learn from.

I’m open for anything, but also open to trying anything as well.

(tokamak) #16

I think there was a problem there. I already pointed it out, sprint was your own little supply of ‘AHA TAKE THIS’ juice you could squirt in your opponent’s face at your leisure.

(DarkangelUK) #17

Well not really, it worked fine.

(amazinglarry) #18

I don’t understand the disadvantage argument here, if I’m understanding it correctly.

We’ll say everybody begins with a full sprint bar. Now, depending on how each individual chooses to use it will determine what they are going to gain an advantage in. If someone chooses to save it entirely for a firefight, they may just flat out get to the conflict area too late. If someone is only going to use it for travel and getting somewhere faster (like getting to a plant location) then they maybe be at a disadvantage to defend themselves.

It’s a balancing act regardless, right? It’s also based on play styles. Either sacrifice general mobility or sacrifice potential firefight survivability.

This all being said, I don’t necessarily have a problem with the way sprint is implemented right now - but I think there are other potential directions that are worth discussing.

(Evil-Doer) #19

lol, anyway. I see why your against this now. I respect your thought completely.

(DarkangelUK) #20

Well that’s my confusion as well, the player can make the concious choice on how to use it. They can assess the battlefield and the known combat areas of the map and make the educated decision to keep it stored or used it to get back to the action. Again the only time someone is at a disadvantage is if they put themselves there, the system never did it to them.