Handling abusive / cheating players

(Seanza) #1

So big news today that one of the Team Dignitas League of Legends player has been banned from competing for 1 year and has had all current game accounts permanently banned. Here’s the information: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=32080366#32080366

This got me thinking how great it is when a developer has full control over a game and how the possibilities are endless. Knowing that you guys have full control over Dirty Bomb, I’d like to push a similar zero-tolerance policy to Riot’s.

Tracking chatlogs from each player in a public match and having somebody scan them every so often for certain words/phrases would really benefit people in the long run, I think.

What does everybody else think?

(Loffy) #2

For me, as a casual, yet awesome player, I often just switch server when there is a cheater present. To decide on what to do, it is important for me to be able to spec any player on the server (first person view).

(Seanza) #3

Yeah, cheaters are easier to punish thanks to anti cheat. Abusive players are not. Abusive people generally just ruin the game experience for everybody and should be punished heavily.

(BioSnark) #4

Seems reasonable. For consistency, would still do well with a report feature for voip abuse and griefing.

(Seanza) #5

Report buttons are essential and will also be instrumental to getting rid of these abusive players.

(Dormamu) #6

On the Riot’s case i would preferred if he was !mute- ed on all servers rather than ban him, being unable to respond to others players would have been a greater punishment than getting a ban.

This abusive language triggering a ban can also be used to harm a good player. Given enough time, you can make some of the players snap. I would like a !mute and a !ignore command to counter abusive language. Also a !chat off and a !kick vote command/button.

Regarding the cheating, if someone is cheating, burn him on the stake or give him to the community to chose his fate. But allow him to speak. I always like the drama of :“My wife/friend/brother/dog/hamster used my account and installed a hack! (;_;)”
Also implement a “Report Achievement” = “Protector of the Light” or “I see unholy people” = 10.000 -100.000 reports made.

P.S. Are we allowed on DB Alpha to use cheats/wall-hack’s to test the system? Not that i will use them, as you will probably see when i get online. :smiley:

(Humate) #7

Cheating - dont have an issue with a ban policy.
Trash Talk - Ive always felt it added to the game, at the same time I can understand being anal about.

(Evil-Doer) #8

I’m entirely for a report button. Especially if it turns into a judge of your own peers type thing. People do tend to abuse that button in lots of circumstances, so if implemented it would have to be in the right way.

(mortis) #9

I used to love web-based admin in Unreal Tournament. It made kicking/banning players so seamless…

(Runeforce) #10

I don’t like the idea of globally banning trash-talking players, but I like the idea of globally muting them (f. ex. done by a council after evaluating reports.)

And don’t we want the presence of “glitchers” to test and find (and create public awareness of) unintentional stuff, so it can be patched? Sure, seing the plant on Volcano before the hack is done for the tenth time gets anoying, but even more so is the lack of an patch.

Cheaters that use aim-bots, wallhacks and other stuff is very anoying, but in the end, it’s usually less-skilled players that take that road, and the cheat is usually obvious. Personally I think they are less anoying comming up against than competition players (not meant as a rage against comp players, comp players are just harder to deal with in-game than a noob cheater.) And again, by their actions they point out where action needs to be taken by the developer.

I am not a great fan of PunkBuster, but somekind of simillar software is needed to prevent certain cheats. How about developing an open-source equilant (if the budget allows it?) You could always use somekind of hashing-technique to ensure players are not running an altered version of the anti-cheat software. (Or would that be incompatible with the proprietary engine you are using? IDK.)

Sorry for getting sligtly off-topic.

(murka) #11

About the glitchers. If the game is healthy enough, it shouldn’t be a problem. In etqw for example, a fix for the icarus glitch was given pretty much as quickly as it became public and mods just had to add that patch. I think some did(qwta?), but the general game couldn’t be patched. So if the game is actively supported by the devs or even the community, this will never be a problem.

(Ca9ine) #12

Shouldn’t be hard to do with DB at all, really.