Blood, Gore, Limbs

(stealth6) #1

Anything on this front? Popping off some heads, blowing up ragdolls, backstab animations, blood flying in your face…

This is a personal request I guess, but love me some gore :smiley:

(Rex) #2

Not necessary in my opinion, also this won’t be beneficial to get younger players involved.

(murka) #3

When in doubt, cvar it!

(SockDog) #4

If you want a personal opinion. I love it, would love to see it, maybe make it a payable option on the client side.

My Mr. Sensible brain says SD hasn’t really engaged that sort of stuff (I’ll say W:ET was using RTCW assets). I also doubt SD wants to deal with all the regulations this brings.

Still it’s something I’d like to see and this is the feedback area so. pew pew splurty

(tokamak) #5

I’m completely indifferent towards it. It’s a novelty in TF2 but if the death animations are good then I won’t miss anything.

(SinDonor) #6

I love gore. Realistic gore. Like, if I shoot a rocket into a group of bad guys, I wanna see limbs fly. I love Gears of War’s style of gore. If you gib a guy, he’s done. If not, he can be revived. That’s where gore and gameplay actually work together.

(dommafia) #7

Yummy yummy gore, that should be set to off by default. If kids are a worry… aren’t kids not allowed to purchase anything from the game either? wink wink.

Also, there’s the ol’ why can they “kill” people but can’t see blood, etc?

(amazinglarry) #8

Yeah it’s not high on my list either but you better believe I wouldn’t be upset if it was added in :slight_smile: Would love to see the full destruction of mines, turrets, air strikes, grenades etc on enemy players.

Damn… now I really want it…

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #9

All for Blood/Gore if it’s not over the top and side track the core game development. Additionally it could counter the static nature of the glass/vehicles in the game.

(DarkangelUK) #10

I’m all for it, worked well in RtCW and W:ET in regards to gibbing the player and could do well here too.

(zenstar) #11

Don’t mind either way really, but not high on my priority list.

One thing to note:
I assume the game is going to get a 16 or an 18 age restriction? If gore pushes it up from 16 to 18 then I say don’t do it. Keep the audience as wide as possible. If it’s already at an 18 then whatever.

(Runeforce) #12

Shooting people in real life is a violent show (or so I’ve heard.) “Shooting people” in computer games is really not. I don’t like the idea of forcing the graphic violence to a place where it does not belong. Keep the blood, gore and limbs out IMO.

(dommafia) #13

Where does having an option to have it on stop you from having the game your way?

That sounds douchey but I’m seriously wondering.

(Runeforce) #14

[QUOTE=dommafia;412171]Where does having an option to have it on stop you from having the game your way?

That sounds douchey but I’m seriously wondering.[/QUOTE]

I just don’t think blood and gore adds anything. Nothing but the “coolness” factor (and I don’t think it’s cool…although it was for me 15 years ago.)

If you mean “having it as an option”, sure no problem. But it adds nothing…except blood and gore.

And to be honest, don’t we see enough of that in RL (or in our news of RL)? No need to add it to our entertainment! I don’t see any needs for “making gore and limbs fly by” any more “cool” then it alredy is (or not!) Our media manages that fine (read: way to good in a negative way) already! In our entertainment, free us from the violence, that the real world encapsulates. Don’t make senseless violence (although it’s not, since it’s only a game) “seem cool!”

(SockDog) #15

[QUOTE=lakersforce;412204]I just don’t think blood and gore adds anything. Nothing but the “coolness” factor (and I don’t think it’s cool…although it was 15 years ago.)

If you mean “having it as an option”, sure no problem. But it adds nothing…except blood and gore.

EDIT: and to be honest: don’t we see enough of that in RL (or our news of RL)? No need to add it to our entertainment![/QUOTE]

I honestly don’t think you can play the weepy eyed moralist when the game centres around killing people.

(Runeforce) #16

You say “killing people” like it’s a big deal, but it’s not. In RL we don’t spawn a new life as full sentiant adults seven seconds after being killed (and most importantly, we don’t actually KILL PEOPLE. It’s a representation we all know is a fantasy…or otherwise (I hope) we wouldn’t actually play it!)

Ofc. we all (I’d assume :slight_smile: ) know that, adding gore and flying limbs adds nothing (but the subjective coolness factor.) And my (subjective) point is that it’s NOT COOL. (But you might be right SockDog, it’s perhaps a moralist standpoint. But I’d assume that standpoint is just as valid as “ZOMG, flying gore and limbs would just be, SO COOL!”)

So you could use that as a arguement to have blood and gore, because “it’s not real!” But having blood and gore emulates reality. I say, let’s go in a different direction, so our games DON’T EMULATE REALITY, but let’s try instead to get the perfect GAMEPLAY (and ignore how reality would threat us, if shoting upon each other.)

(mortis) #17

I was weirded out by the ragdolls when I first started DB, but I’m getting used to it now…

(dommafia) #18

[QUOTE=lakersforce;412213]You say “killing people” like it’s a big deal, but it’s not. In RL we don’t spawn a new life as full adults seven seconds after being killed.

So you could use that as a arguement to have blood and gore, because “it’s not real!” But having blood and gore emulates reality. I say, let’s go in a different direction, so our games DON’T EMULATE REALITY, but let’s try instead to get the perfect GAMEPLAY (and ignore how reality would threat us, if shoting upon each other.)[/QUOTE]

If you can turn it off, this conversation shouldn’t affect you in the slightest… it’s like people that protest and want radio shows off the air like someone is forcing them to tune in.

but let’s try instead to get the perfect GAMEPLAY

They can do both.

(SockDog) #19

[QUOTE=lakersforce;412213]You say “killing people” like it’s a big deal, but it’s not. In RL we don’t spawn a new life as full adults seven seconds after being killed.

So you could use that as a arguement to have blood and gore, because “it’s not real!” But having blood and gore emulates reality. I say, let’s go in a different direction, so our games DON’T EMULATE REALITY, but let’s try instead to get the perfect GAMEPLAY (and ignore how reality would threat us, if shoting upon each other.)[/QUOTE]

That’s a lot of twisting and turning. If you don’t like blood and gore, fine. If you find it a waste, that’s cool. But please don’t lay on the reality, ain’t we thought of the children, moral line when the game is about shooting, knifing, blowing up and doing generally nasty stuff in a radioactive city for money.

(Runeforce) #20

If the majority votes “we want gore and limbs flyting everywhere”, fine be it that. I say let it be optional and (by best) in a mod-pack! I’d rather see SD concentrate on the gameplay! I think blood and gore would be an wasted effort by SD (besides the other points I did put forward.) I don’t care in a negative way if you disagree, in fact I apreciate it! :slight_smile:

To be honest I have the trouble of seing what “But please don’t lay on the reality, ain’t we thought of the children, moral line when the game is about shooting, knifing, blowing up and doing generally nasty stuff in a radioactive city for money” adds to the flying gore and limbs conversations from your point of view (except you want to invalidate my POV.)

So you want that stuff! Wouldn’t it be more real to admit that, than some fake arguements about my POV being invalid because it’s in contrast to your moral POV? (Thinking about it, that’s what you did…I just disagree with you!)

This is it! Make it server-side!