unrealed - general support

(mortis) #1

Will unrealed be supported for the terrain and 3D design of the map? I’m sure that the actors (entities) are going to be DB specific. I see talk of an SDK and such, but if I were to start blocking out some levels in unrealed (at least the polygonal portions with placeholder textures) I’d like to know if they will be generally compatible with DB.

While I’m sure that you will have custom textures, actors, music, etc., I can knock out a decent level in unrealed quite quickly (no, I’m not proud or fancy, but I have the know-how to get a fun level out in no time…). One of the strengths of unreal engine as the rapidity of map creation, and that the custom textures were usually built into the level (that’s how I always did it) and so it didn’t contaminate other levels or menus using textures of the same name (think spammy server-specific packs in ET on the Quake engine).

Inquiring minds would like to know! And, I don’t want to waste my time blocking out maps unless there will be some custom map support in the long run. (please?)

–Mortis

(Laurens) #2

The chance that you will be able to use files created in a different Unreal Editor is very, very slim. So you would probably waste your time if you’d work on something now.

(mortis) #3

Yeah, i was just thinking about hitting the ground running, so to speak. If there won’t be any custom map support then the point may be moot anyway. Unrealed is such an easy program to use, in my opinion, and compared to Radiant. I just got to thinking about the possibilities and started wondering about these things…but even if I have to wait until the SDK comes out, it’s not a big deal…

(iwound) #4

when i get some time im going to use pen and paper i believe thats still compatable with all software.

(mortis) #5

Unfortunately I can’t upload my pencil-and-paper thumbnails… :slight_smile:

(iwound) #6

if i do design something it would be with all weapons in mind. so there are special areas for all classes etc
so better to wait and see a more final version.

(Violator) #7

I’m hoping the SDK will be released (pretty please :)) so I can get back into mapping again, and its a lot easier than it was in ET:QW! I have some experience with UnrealEd from the UT2003 days.

(.Chris.) #8

When I tried UDK I wouldn’t have said it would be faster nor easier to create a map compared to ET:QW in terms of building geometry, the maps contained mainly meshes rather than BSP so unless you plan on sticking with stock meshes it’s going to take a while to create custom meshes to make your maps unique. The builder brush thing is annoying too when you do use BSP.

(Violator) #9

Geometry wasn’t the hard bit with ET:QW, it was all the other bits and pieces like territory masks, megatextures etc. I didn’t find unrealed tricky in terms of brushwork + the subtraction feature was useful. Radiant’s brush selection is better though. QW was also highly reliant on static meshes.

(mortis) #10

Static mesh, now there’s a term I hadn’t thought about for a long time…

Overall I find that working in unrealed is easier than Radiant, but I’m sure that both tools have their merits. I am personally more comfortable in unrealed, after spending years mapping for Unreal Tournament.

In W:ET I confined myself to scripting, although I did decompile maps from time to time to look at the entities and the brushwork when I was debugging.