Goldrush replica

(tokamak) #1

I know it’s a stretch and it’s asking for a lot and that it’s difficult to find a proper place in London to replicate this in but…

I’d really love to see a geometrical replica of the map Goldrush in this game, reskinned in a London setting, same proportions (but perhaps the streets tailored a bit to make the vehicle fit), same concept.

Is this possible in any sort of way?

(amazinglarry) #2

I thought London Bridge was/is pretty damn close to doing this actually lol… unless you’re being facetious and I totally missed the joke?

(tokamak) #3

I don’t think it’s close at all. It has the same objective order but geometrically it’s completely different.

(amazinglarry) #4

You don’t think it’s close at all? I mean yeah geometrically it’s not the exact same, but no way is it ‘completely’ different. Just look at the path the EV follows. Comes down the road, banks left… goes over the bridge (where just below the Axis should be spawning) and takes a couple more lefts until it’s at the second barricade. Then it blows up the building that is almost the same place the Bank was…

Then even the road you’re taking the EV after both objectives are loaded is almost the same.

I think if you were to break it down to a top level view of both maps (Goldrush and London Bridge) with the walkable pathways etc, it would be a lot more similar than you’re thinking.

(Paul) #5

I’d say: maptools!

(murka) #6

I’m sure goldrush_te would me more preferable. The problem is the EV stage being too long and teams spawning too close to it. This doesn’t give a lot of options for the attackers and they simply need to be there. In goldrush, it was more like eliminating the enemy near the area and pushing it a bit because of the longer respawn time.

The truck stage in goldrush was actually rather short. You can imagine only having to take it near the mg nest after the larger area with ammo/health cabinets. As defenders it was just too difficult to cut the attack off after that, but some genius tactic could have saved a minute even that far out.

The problem isn’t the layout, but the spawn locations.

(tokamak) #7

You may be right. Perhaps it’s better to look how to make that map more like Goldrush. Inventorise what made Goldrush so good and apply it there.

(Ashog) #8

… or/and spawntimes

(Locki) #9

Trivia - Gold Rush was the first map that was designed (by Fluffy Gimp) using Max - he actually modelled it trying to get scale/realism before handing it to Level Designers, and that’s the reason it had such height variation and was more off grid than the others.

(tokamak) #10

Awesome. But yeah it’s that huge verticality that makes it so unique. It also seems that he first made a flat layout of the streets, gave the streets really high walls and then imposed a natural hill into them. At least, that’s what I picked up from it and that’s what I tried to copy in Unreal Tournament maps.

Goldrush has such an amazing centre in the map. What made Goldrush also really good was the really well thought out centre of the map. That centre remained relevant throughout the entire match and was always worth fighting for. Because the centre was also really complex yet elegant the fights often took many different forms.

Still, that’s a theme that runs in most W:ET maps. Despite being objective maps, they were never linear. Regions in the map never truly turned irrelevant, only their meaning changed as the match progressed.

(Dragonji) #11

I (and probably a lot of other people) would love to see at least 1 remake of a W:ET/ET:QW map. It actually doesn’t have to be based on a vanilla map nor be 100% the same as base one. It’s obvious it would need to be adapted to modern London/UK but to be honest I don’t see a problem in it. The only problem I’m thinking about is that the map would be no longer as fun as it was in the first game…

(H0RSE) #12

I would like to see a Fuel Dump or Goldrush recreation, and even though it isn’t SD, I’d like to see Beach from RTCW, or something at least inspired from it.

(Fluffy_gIMp) #13

yep that’s exactly right, I was sick of so many flat plain maps and wanted some verticality. (As Locki mentions) The earliest block out was actually done in 3DS Max and then rebuilt in brushes

(mortis) #14

I loved digibob’s comments in the goldrush script…looks like he had lots of fun making it work…heh… :wink:

(dommafia) #15

One of funnest stock maps! Who’s responsible for oasis?

Can you share some of these? i r not modder :frowning:

(mortis) #16

IIRC, Digibob left some complaints commented into the script, something to do with the splines that the tank follows down to the bank (see W:ET - Goldrush map)…it was obvious by the comments that they had been having some trouble getting things working right…

edit

// digibob: ok, for once i’m gonna PLAN this one, so NOTHING WILL BREAK EVAR

// digibob: since we cant return variables, just use bit 3 of accum 1 as a register… mmmm assembly…

// truck with tracks? i don’t think so

accum 1 abort_if_not_bitset 7	// are we dead?
	accum 1 abort_if_bitset 9		// are we not already visibly dead?
	accum 1 abort_if_bitset 2		// are we not following a spline?
	accum 5 abort_if_not_equal 0	// are we not in a script lockout?

That kind of stuff…

(stealth6) #17

London bridge is a re imagining of goldrush, if you can’t see it then look more closely. There are too many similarities to just be a coincidence.

Also Waterloo is a re imagining of oasis (this one is a bit more vague, but the part at the wall is a dead giveaway + after the wall a tunnel route leading to a square building… + the objectives).

I’ve said this a few times on irc and ingame, but please don’t make anymore remakes. People keep comparing them to the old version which is stupid since the old version worked for that game / gameplay. DB isn’t the same so the map should be judged as a map for DB not a 1:1 remake of an old classic. (I even catch myself comparing the two, which is wrong)

EDIT: Btw I love the changes to london bridge (goldrush). I initially had some doubts about some points, but after further testing I see they were not warranted. I think people just need to play them more to get the right tactics. (for instance once the EV has been repaired fall back to the first barrier straight away, otherwise attackers can overrun it and you loose that too)

(Pytox) #18

Would be cool to see mp_tram in london :slight_smile:
This version is pretty cool reimagination of goldrush that for sure

(tokamak) #19

And Marketgarden but then across the Thames.

And no it doesn’t need to span the entire Tower Bridge, way too big. Marketgarden is also way out of proportion and I can now because I used to live there :smiley:

(Fluffy_gIMp) #20

[QUOTE=dommafia;411611]One of funnest stock maps! Who’s responsible for oasis?
[/QUOTE]

I can’t remember who wrote it could have been Marauder (Tim), could have been me. On the layout we all did bits of work on, but largely I would say Sock (Simon) who did the brunt of the brush work.

[QUOTE=Pytox;411684]Would be cool to see mp_tram in london :slight_smile:
This version is pretty cool reimagination of goldrush that for sure[/QUOTE]

how awesome would a map set here be?

MP_Tram will always be close to my heart as both Arnout and I worked on it (in about 2 weeks flat), well I did loads of horrible messy brushwork and he fixed it all :slight_smile:

As for Market Garden that was a bit of a Frankenstein map, the layout we designed on the back of a beer mat in the pub :), and then split up sections of it between us, so some sections look very different in style from each other. :stroggbanana: