FOV

(SteelMailbox) #1

So ever since I increased my fov to 100 I thought if it was the wise decision since if your fov is at 65 you will be able to see better at longer ranges but also the sides are blocked. If I was using a fov of 100 I would be able to see more but long range engagements become harder.
So I would like to know what fov you use and why and maybe recommend me a good fov.

(note: I do not suffer from any sort of motion sickness or anything to do with FOV)

(Ardez1) #2

[quote=“steelMailbox;15407”]So ever since I increased my fov to 100 I thought if it was the wise decision since if your fov is at 65 you will be able to see better at longer ranges but also the sides are blocked. If I was using a fov of 100 I would be able to see more but long range engagements become harder.
So I would like to know what fov you use and why and maybe recommend me a good fov.

(note: I do not suffer from any sort of motion sickness or anything to do with FOV) [/quote]

I use something around 90-ish. Can’t recall the exact setting. I feel like it gives me a good view of the battlefield, but it has never really hampered my long range fighting(I think).

(SaulWolfden) #3

I’m between 90 and 100 since I felt 100 felt a bit off for some reason and anything below 90 isn’t enough.

(Ghosthree3) #4

I use 100, sometimes I really want to lower it because there is an advantage to heads looking bigger. But I just can’t, it looks so gross when not maxed out, like absolutely gross.

(Nail) #5

FOV in DB is based on vertical not horizontal

(Amerika) #6

Yup. 90 in most other games isn’t the same thing as 90 in DB due to DB using vertical FoV instead of the more traditional horizontal (why this was chosen I have no idea). 90 in DB is getting pretty fishbowl.

I believe mine is set to 74 or 75 currently in DB despite using 90 in CS and Q3 (for most weapons).

(watsyurdeal) #7

I use 90 anything higher than that honestly felt weird. It looked really circular and not at all like how you’d view the world normally

(capriciousParsely) #8

I set my FOV at 59 ingame to match my FOV in TF2 that is set on 90. The way FOV works in this game is different than TF2, so that is why I did that.

I had to edit the ini file to do this btw.

Here is the site to calculate on your own: http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

(MarsRover) #9

I have ramped it to the max before even playing a single game and it looks fine to me.

(Gi.Am) #10

Id wish the scale of games wasn’t compressed and we could use FOVs that give us a 1:1 view (based on the distance to your monitor). But since that is not likely I switch between 65-70-75 the wider view of 75 is nice in closecombat but most of the time I ride with 65 since I need all the help I can get for the mid to longrange fights.

(Ghosthree3) #11

[quote=“Amerika;56545”]Yup. 90 in most other games isn’t the same thing as 90 in DB due to DB using vertical FoV instead of the more traditional horizontal (why this was chosen I have no idea). 90 in DB is getting pretty fishbowl.

I believe mine is set to 74 or 75 currently in DB despite using 90 in CS and Q3 (for most weapons).[/quote]
Are you playing 4:3 in Quake? I find 110 fov much more comfortable in wide screen. I think I’m just intolerable of feeling ‘too close’.

I dunno why they didn’t just stick with Horizontal FoV. Just for comparability to other games more than anything.

(Amerika) #12

[quote=“Ghosthree3;56573”][quote=“Amerika;56545”]Yup. 90 in most other games isn’t the same thing as 90 in DB due to DB using vertical FoV instead of the more traditional horizontal (why this was chosen I have no idea). 90 in DB is getting pretty fishbowl.

I believe mine is set to 74 or 75 currently in DB despite using 90 in CS and Q3 (for most weapons).[/quote]
Are you playing 4:3 in Quake? I find 110 fov much more comfortable in wide screen. I think I’m just intolerable of feeling ‘too close’.

I dunno why they didn’t just stick with Horizontal FoV. Just for comparability to other games more than anything.[/quote]

I used to and I used to only play in 640x480 but I don’t anymore. I do have FoV change depending on what weapon I’m using though. 110 for rocket and grenades but 90 for most everything else.

(moonlitAbility) #13

I use the lowest possible fov (65 i think) because it renders the models larger which makes it easier to track headshots imo

([eXo]Deeds) #14

90 at the moment.

(GildedDark) #15

I use the default the others look wonky imo

(avidCow) #16

1280x960 4:3 100fov

Not sure what this translates to. I play this way on a 1080p widescreen because it’s low-res and doesn’t get all stretched to shit and is more readable, although everything is very small at anything over short range. I might change down to 90 at some point if I can be bothered trying to re-train myself yet again.

(Frogteam) #17

Sixty-five, the advantage of bigger heads to click is too nice to pass by for me.

(CCP115) #18

I just ramped it all the way up, I do that in every game except Minecraft.

I should probably try turning it down just to see if I like that more.

(misspo) #19

Personnaly i’m on 83 (or 84?) fov with 1280-768 4:3 i assume.
In the past, i was all the time at 1024 but now i feel 1280 is like the same with more pixels :D.

I tried to use 65 fov but beside the advantage your get at long range, because i’m accustom to 84fov, i missed a lot’s of HS with vasilli… When you got habit with sniper, you just can’t change any thing.

(Edzer) #20

I’m using 75. Always used 110 FOV in Quake 3 Arena but noticed that having that amount of FOV is not helping me out in this game. Even though 65 FOV was still too low it seemed that 75 is my sweetspot.