Space between clantag and playername

(Breo) #1

Please add a fixed space between the clantag and nickname. The problem in ETQW was that players make very short names and create new names with the clantag.
There are also imposters who “steal” someone else nick with a combination of the clantag and playername.

(zenstar) #2

I always liked the square brackets for clan tags.
mandude[clan] sorta thing. But then disallow square brackets from valid names (are they allowed now?).

(murka) #3

Ugh, i always hated those short and in square bracket type clantags. Would like to see the 5char limit increased.

(stealth6) #4

+1 freedom of choice.

(Breo) #5

Yeah but at least it need to be clear what the clantag and name is, maybe clantags in DB yellow and name in white?

(Ashog) #6

oh so biAtch! unpossible now? :frowning:

Auto space between tag and nick isn’t a bad idea (never liked those kiddie nickname+tag smurfing games anyways). Especially if placing a space character into the clantag (before or after it) is not allowed by the engine (this I haven’t checked yet).

(Anti) #7

This is very placeholder right now, we’ll design a proper system in the coming months

(Rex) #8

Nice to hear, because we really need more than 5 chars.

(Humate) #9

awesome anti :slight_smile:

(Violator) #10

I’d suggest some non-typable image between the tag and nick to stop smurfs adding a space itself (if spaces are allowed). Also can we expect to add colours into the nicks using the ^ codes of old?

(zenstar) #11

As long as there’s a simply/easy way of telling the clan tag from the name then whatever method will be fine (square bracket haters!).

As for the char limit: I’d say no more than 6 chars max. It’s a clan tag, not a clan description, advert and link to the webpage.
When tags start becoming longer than nicks then something is wrong.

(Ashog) #12

Well, clan names are not necessarily abbreviations, which is too oldskool because the games of the past had no clan tag features and low resolutions to fit all text in mini-windows/placeholders. I see no reason why nowadays the clantags shouldn’t be a word rather than abbreviation and words are not magically limited by 6 characters. I’d say 8 is much better.

(Mustang) #13

Please no spaces or brackets, if you must make it different colours, but as now is perfect TBH.

EDIT: Actually it seems to break with special characters, using alphanumeric works fine but add special character and my IGN changes to Player on relaunch.

(Virus047) #14

As long as I can slap a :+: or a cb// on the front of my name I’m happy. :smiley:

(murka) #15

[QUOTE=zenstar;410985]As for the char limit: I’d say no more than 6 chars max. It’s a clan tag, not a clan description, advert and link to the webpage.
When tags start becoming longer than nicks then something is wrong.[/QUOTE]

I can think of so many (pro) clans right now that have more than 6 chars. I doubt they would like to shorten their tag somehow.

(zenstar) #16

We may be talking different things. I’m talking about an in-game clan tag. I don’t care about clan name length, but information above the character’s head shouldn’t be long.

zenstar [Awesome clan of pure awesome crew 2020 reapers yeah brofist clan]
BAD

zenstar [AWSM]
GOOD

(murka) #17

This is not 2001 where clan names were 2-4 words which you could abbreviate to a 2-4 char tag. Nowadays they are 1 word or something similar and if you only take the first letter or the first 3, it won’t make much sense. Shall i use the clantag “b” or “biA”?

(stealth6) #18

[QUOTE=zenstar;412847]We may be talking different things. I’m talking about an in-game clan tag. I don’t care about clan name length, but information above the character’s head shouldn’t be long.

zenstar [Awesome clan of pure awesome crew 2020 reapers yeah brofist clan]
BAD

zenstar [AWSM]
GOOD[/QUOTE]

Imo you don’t even need to see the clantag above a person’s head. Only on the scoreboard.

(zenstar) #19

umm… No. Many clans still have long names (or even have sub-crews with their own designations). Just because you’re in a “good” clan doesn’t mean there aren’t “bad” clans out there.

And don’t forget that there could be exploitation here. Why not just drop in a page of lorem ipsum for you clan tag? you won’t see it so it won’t bug you.

And if you look at current tag trends in current, popular shooters (such as the CoDs, MWs and Halos) then you’ll notice they limit things to 4 characters. Part of this is because they’re running on 1080 res, and part of it is because it’s a tag, not an essay.

And why is “biA” such a bad tag? It’s short and distinct. What more do you need?

EDIT: tags aren’t meant to “make sense”. They’re meant to identify clans.

I’d be happy enough with this too, but I’m quite happy to see short clan tags in game. Especially when playing semi-pubs. It makes it easy to find your friends (or easy to snipe your friends if you split across teams).

(murka) #20

I just did look at the trends in etqw before posting and found that the average was about 6 chars. Some were even 14 chars long and only 1 short tag that i spotted was 2 chars. The next shortest was 5.

I don’t know about the current/popular games and in fact i care nothing about them, but most pro clans in the PC scene use as much chars as possible. This includes the occasional sponsors.

The fact that there was no abusing with long clan names in etqw only enforces the fact that tag length should be a reasonable number like 16 or 32.