Login name vs Nickname

(stealth6) #1

Why do all games do this? Why does your loginname have to be your ingame name? As the most unoriginal person on the planet (me) why must you punish me?

I saw the the end of the DB trailer “Reserve you name now” so that’s why I’m freaking out.

What’s wrong with giving every client / account and ID and let them pick whatever name they want. If there are 2 people with the same name in 1 server then they just get a (1) behind their name or something else (like in TF2)

I think I can count the amount of times I’ve met another “stealthXXX” on one hand, so even with a name as unoriginal as mine it doesn’t happen that often that our paths cross, so why do I always have to carry the 6?

EDIT: This is because of global leaderboards isn’t it… omg I am starting to loathe them.

Even with a global leaderboard, isn’t it possible to say:
rank #1 - name: stealth6 - nickname: stealth - points: 483024

(Smooth) #2

We’ll probably be giving people the opportunity to change their name at some point :slight_smile:

(zenstar) #3

For A Price !!! Mwuahahahahahah! F2P microtransactions revealed!

(stealth6) #4

I hope you mean nickname and not login name, since I know stealth is already taken…

(badman) #5

Yeah, the nick/display/player name. ;D

(amazinglarry) #6

I’m changing to badman at my first opportunity.

(Ashog) #7

oh dear here comes smurfing in DB big time. I was afraid of this…

(amazinglarry) #8

Ehhh, it wasn’t that big of a deal in W:ET or QW from what I remember.

In fact, one of the more memorable times I had was in ET just after the 2nd Matrix movie came out, and I went into the game as Agent Smith, killed my friend who then changed his name to Agent Smith. Eventually the whole server caught on and before the end of the match everybody was named Agent Smith. I thought it was pretty awesome.

*Spoiler: Hugo Weaving’s character in the Matrix movies can clone himself. snarf snarf.

But more to the point, sometimes it’s nice to just roll into a server with an alias and mess around. Especially if you’re with a bunch of friends and just make up ridiculous clan names/themes for a day or something - or even when setting up ‘ally’ clan formations.

(tokamak) #9

The lack of capital still burns my eyes. What was I thinking?

(Violator) #10

As long as I don’t have to replace my l with a 1 this time I’ll be happy :wink:

(stlava) #11

Will clan tags be seperate from nicknames? Also one thing I like which quakelive does is for $$ you can be apart of multiple clans (one displayed at a time in nick). Or maybe instead of clans have them be “groups” so you can categorize your in-game friends.

(SockDog) #12

IMO people should be able to play under whatever nick they like regardless of duplicates. However there should either be their permanent account name or a provided account number used to identify people by their actual account. This give freedom to use whatever you like while still maintaining some accountability on the user.

Of course being F2P it’s going to be a bigger issue of people just making several accounts.

(Ashog) #13

[QUOTE=amazinglarry;410880]In fact, one of the more memorable times I had was in ET just after the 2nd Matrix movie came out, and I went into the game as Agent Smith, killed my friend who then changed his name to Agent Smith. Eventually the whole server caught on and before the end of the match everybody was named Agent Smith. I thought it was pretty awesome.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I see nothing awesome here but rather silly kidding of the whole server population.

Nothing better than playing with old friends you recognize and who recognize you. I’d allow only 1 nickname at a time like it was in Brink if I could.

(amazinglarry) #14

How is bonding with the community not awesome? Because that’s what was happening.

(Dthy) #15

Reserving DeAthY now. Like RIGHT NOW.

(mitsuhiko) #16

One thing to consider with freely changeable nicknames is that it has some implications on reporting cheating players.

(BioSnark) #17

So limit how frequently it can occur.

(Seanza) #18

Hoping for Unique IDs to be created on a per-player basis and for the name to be set in-game/in a config like in ET/COD. Who gives a damn about smurfing? Those who care that much will be able to find out who’s who by checking the Unique ID on the DB DB (weheyyy).

AtomicL ftw. Right dom? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(mitsuhiko) #19

JFTR: there are unique IDs and that’s how players are identified internally. The nickname is just for displaying purposes.

(SockDog) #20

So Nicknames can be duped and logins are unique?