90 FPS cap

(Breo) #1

Is it possible to remove the 90 fps cap :confused: I’ve already disabled vsync

(Anti) #2

Not at the minute, but we’re looking at unlocking it for a coming update.

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #3

I’ve always wondered. Why do Unreal 3 games have this cap in MP? Is there a reason?

(murka) #4

Yes, i think it was to not overwhelm the client with lots of network traffic.

(stealth6) #5

Why is FPS related to network traffic?

(Breo) #6

Yeah other UE3 games are also capped to 90 FPS >:( why would you do that, default settings?

(dommafia) #7

Can someone give me one reason to go above 90? I mean for q3 games I can understand for the magic fps numbers 125 etc.

(Breo) #8

Not sure if this is a valid reason but I have a 120 Mhz screen and also my GPU (GTX580) can handle it.

(murka) #9

Even with a 60hz screen the smoothness can be felt. In an FPS this is vital as you get better feedback from your mouse movement and thus the input-output loop of your hand-eye coordination is tighter.

(dommafia) #10

I have to be honest, I have never noticed a difference past 90 in any game since et. Even at 125 or 333 it felt the same.

(DarkangelUK) #11

With a 60hz monitor I didn’t see a huge difference, I can see it with my 120hz though.

(murka) #12

Well i did conduct a blind test at one lanparty to compare 60 vs 90 vs 120. My test subjects always noticed the difference between 60 vs 90, but two of them didn’t get 90 vs 120 right, but 5 out of 7 subjects isn’t bad either.

(tokamak) #13

Especially considering you tested it blind :smiley:

(dommafia) #14

From 90 to 120?

Also, which monitor do you have?

(DarkangelUK) #15

After years of playing at 120, you can tell when it takes a dip. I admit it’s not uncomfortable by any means and is plenty smooth and far better than 60, but 120 is just… nice.

(dommafia) #16

Crt monitor?

(uvhannes) #17

unless you have a 120hz monitor, the 60hz + vsync make the game superb smooth. once i turn off vsync the framerate seems to stable at 90 but mouse feels unsmooth and choppy.

i really like the smoothness of 60hz + vsync.

(INF3RN0) #18

I have 120hz and I see the difference :D!

(mitsuhiko) #19

Because of Unreal’s network model. Shockingly this has not changed much in the last years: http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_(UT)

(Seanza) #20

[QUOTE=uvhannes;410414]unless you have a 120hz monitor, the 60hz + vsync make the game superb smooth. once i turn off vsync the framerate seems to stable at 90 but mouse feels unsmooth and choppy.

i really like the smoothness of 60hz + vsync.[/QUOTE]

I’m SO happy to see you here <3