Whats so great about ET:QW anyways?

(retsy) #1

What did/do you love so much about this game?

I am back playing it again and it feels a big like returning home after a long trip.

I hold a special place in my heart for this game. I love it for so many reasons.

ET:QW was at first try…confusing and frustrating for me - “this is not quake! where are the flags?? why cant i rocket jump?!” “where is my BFG!!!”

I had never played anything like it. The spirit of quake was definitely there but where were the arenas?

lol.

There are so many components to the game that i love, the objective-based play, teams working together (with the occassional player off staring into a corner or seemingly on their own super-secret mission of play my own game up on this hill here :D)

The people that work at splash damage, with their never ending support to the community, the community itself feels like a giant group of friends and frenemies and on occasion straight up hatred for eachother :wink:
Ive never felt like i fit in so well with a group of people.

So i would really like to hear what others have to say, any specific stories and memories to share? what makes it or made it stand out for you above all others?

(Dthy) #2

First game I played online, and first game I’ve got into competition in. So much fun despite finding it impossible to find a pub server which wouldn’t kick you. :smiley: What stands out for me from other games is the team aspect of the game, and that you can go solo if you play tactically. Stand out moments for me are either:

1). Playing for Vikings against Stupidoz and completing Refinery in 5 minutes and Sewer in 5 minutes (despite misplanting :D)
2). Mercing for Vanillitas against Dignitas
3). Playing for failwhale (despite being teamkilled CONSTANTLY.)

(light_sh4v0r) #3

It is really mostly me who is great about ETQW :slight_smile:

(YouAreGood) #4

Good question.

I’d say there were different things that I found fun about the QW in time. Gameplay was first one, although not perfect at all in terms of engine performance and bugs, it was still well designed idea.

The most exciting of these features is probably ability to provide “best game ever” experience. I only felt that in old ET and ETQW. VOIP added in QW did great job on that field. The best(first, maybe that’s why?) “best game ever” I remember even today is what took place 5 or 6 years ago in ET, when on GoldRush we were about to lose the map, then after realising that there is a little tiny shadow of chance to win, I just wrote “we still can win!” and proposed to group up at the bridge nearby the bank(with objectives inside), team felt the same need, so we did grouped up there, and then rushed into the battle all together finally winning in the last seconds :)). In QW that kind of things happens much more often, yet still are quite rare - as you’ve noticed - many ppl have their secret missions, and makes sure you will not understand why they do what they do - probably solely for operational safety reasons… Well, that’s also kind of fun, just far less intense.

Sum: The teamplay, that once in a blue moon turns into the whole-team striking together and therefore winning with a less effectively cooperating enemy… That’s the best part of the QW. Although that’s not all the game can offer, so you can find it fun in an array of ways, not getting bored for a long time…

Have a good day! :slight_smile:

(alphabeta) #5

The best part of ETQW is definitely the teamplay. When everyone uses VOIP, and you play together, you can be unbeatable, even if some of your players are not pure shooters. They ony have to understand their role on the team. The most interesting aspect of the game to me is the asymmetrical opponents. GDF can instantly revive, but Strogg can make spawnhosts. These kind of team-defining tweaks in the design of the game mean that playing each side is very very different. And I find that even after 5 years I am still discovering new aspects of the game. Just yesterday I found a new sniping position I had never noticed before!

(.N.E.R.D.) #6

Complexity

(Coliseum) #7

Amen to that. It takes time to learn and it’s hard to master, with nearly endless room for improvement. I’m an individualistic teamplayer and I like how I can still be of benefit to my team, without having to take or give orders and without being forced into a way of playing where I have to babysit my teammates (like Brink’s rubbish way of distributing buffs, where you have to be near a teammate, instead of being able to just dump health or ammo on the ground so you can be on your way).

I like the gunplay, an excellent blend of realism and arcade: you do have to control your spread a bit, but even when shouldering your rifle it’s still all about getting a tiny dot on an opponent’s head, instead of having movement slowing down to a crawl and having to aim down the sights of a screen filling weaponmodel, in a mockery of real gunplay, in order to have a chance to hit someone at any range other than point blank. I’m grateful I can turn things like weapon model and muzzle flash off, keeps it pure.

(.N.E.R.D.) #8

I wonder why it’s still not free2play

(light_sh4v0r) #9

What purpose would that serve?

(edxot) #10

they can come up with more games. will they be so challenging as etqw ? any game can be as hard or easy as one can imagine.

its time for them to realize the masterpiece they developed here. any other game they produce will have to compete against it (not easy).

so, one more time, i ask the same:
PLEASE: etqw 2, 12 new maps, rank system forcing people to play all maps and both sides (and maybe resctrict heavies according to number of players)

if wow players pay 10 euros month, if the football fanatics buy a new game each new year … why should you not get the profit too ?

(Rex) #11

[QUOTE=edxot;410087]they can come up with more games. will they be so challenging as etqw ? any game can be as hard or easy as one can imagine.

its time for them to realize the masterpiece they developed here. any other game they produce will have to compete against it (not easy).

so, one more time, i ask the same:
PLEASE: etqw 2, 12 new maps, rank system forcing people to play all maps and both sides (and maybe resctrict heavies according to number of players)

if wow players pay 10 euros month, if the football fanatics buy a new game each new year … why should you not get the profit too ?[/QUOTE]

Do you sometimes read the title of the thread? Small hint for you: OFF TOPIC

Damn those trolls, spammers, off-topic, nonsense and attention whoring posts get annoying. No wait, they already are. :rolleyes: We need more people like retsy in this section instead of those idiots… +1 for this thread btw :wink:

(x3mytiz) #12

We, the players…

(edxot) #13

off topic idiots, good words

btw, why dont smurf here ? like in etqw ?

anyway, this is the last time i dont ignore you.

(Rex) #14

[QUOTE=edxot;410145]off topic idiots, good words

btw, why dont smurf here ? like in etqw ?

anyway, this is the last time i dont ignore you.[/QUOTE]

I wonder when ever posted something related a topic. Either you also can’t read or you are just the troll people think you are.

Anyway, don’t feed the troll, so back to topic. :wink:

(Humate) #15

Whats great about etqw?

Everyone can play.
It respects high skill play, while allowing lower skilled players to still contribute.

These days thats rare.

(BioSnark) #16

The desecrator. The mechanics design’s pretty good, too. The community drama is adequate but repetitive.

(Donnovan) #17

1 - Big maps, with vast outdoors and indoors areas.
2 - Fun to play and a lot competitive.
3 - Have support to custom content.

(Kl3ppy) #18

The game itself.
But some decision ruined the game, not sure if Activison alone is to blame.

(cloudhalo) #19

the fact that i learned alot about my computer hardware wise because i wanted to get better gameplay so i had to change hardware-meaning doin research an stuff and then when u buy 1 part u just want to learn more about the others, utube was a big help too for installations.

(Nagromme) #20

I hope to make time to return soon. What I like:

1. The maps feel like real places, not staged “arenas.” There are places and things that seem to have no possible gameplay purpose… but then sometimes you see one used in a novel way.

2. The game encourages (requires?) creativity. You can approach the challenges in new ways, and you’ll often see your enemy do the same, requiring a creative response. I love UT, but when do I ever see someone do anything NEW? I often do in QW.

3. Strogg. Change You Can Believe In.