Movement while being shot

(INF3RN0) #1

So a big question I have is what exactly happens to player movement when taking fire? It almost seems like you slow down to walking speed. I’m curious what is actually happening there.

(mitsuhiko) #2

What’s happening is that you move away from the direction the bullet is coming. You can punch people down from walls that way.

(Donnovan) #3

So you even can gain speed if shot comes from behind and you is walking forward.

Its not pull you if you is stoped, you must be walking?

(Humate) #4

I noticed this the other day 1v2ing inferno and tango…
Apparently smooth is looking into this.

(Smooth) #5

There’s a slight physical push and also a temporary slowdown based on how much damage you took.

We’re discussing how we want to handle these, since they were added quite a while ago and things have changed since :slight_smile:

(Humate) #6

[QUOTE=Smooth;410060]There’s a slight physical push and also a temporary slowdown based on how much damage you took.

We’re discussing how we want to handle these, since they were added quite a while ago and things have changed since :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for looking into this :slight_smile:

(Ashog) #7

I have died several times because of that slowdown.
The typical example: I was standing inside of the murder room (on Bridge I think) where 2 cells are. There are several windows in this room which have no glass. So I was camping while standing inside of one of these windows, so that only a half of my body was inside of the room, the other half being outside. Then someone suddenly appeared in the room shooting at me. I immediately pressed strafe-shift to move out of the room (and, were it ETQW or Brink, I would succeed), but I got the stun effect from the shot and couldn’t finish the strafe quicky. Even half of my body protruding out of the window for 1 second was enough to die from full health. This was only due to to the stun effect, nothing else. That day I died.

(Smooth) #8

We are currently testing reduced/no slowdown (amongst other things…) in internal playtests. We’ll see how it goes :slight_smile:

(shirosae) #9

I have to say I’m finding the slowdown on hit really annoying.

I’ve been trying to not play all campy for the last few days, pushing forwards and trying to be really aggressive, and hitting the slowdown on most deaths. It’s like you can be more aggressive and have your survivability go down slightly, and then you suddenly hit a cliff that you can’t come back from.

I push forwards, take a few hits, find cover. If I then spot someone lining me up, I know that:
a) If I start shooting back they have more HP, so if they can shoot straight I lose.
b) If I try to run, I’ll be pinned to the spot and die.

I see the danger, react in time to be acting when the incoming fire hits, and cannot do anything about it. It’s not even like the weapon fire rate issue, where you’re dead before you know what’s happening. Here you can see it coming, and can do nothing about it. Utterly, utterly infuriating.

(Humate) #10

shirosae the forum keeps telling me ive given you too much rep. :frowning:

Thats precisely how it plays.

(amazinglarry) #11

I’ve noticed lately that any time I’m taking hits and I’m able to successfully get behind some cover before croaking it’s considered a huge victory for me. I was discussing on TS last night that I’m used to being able to react when I’m taking shots to take cover, while compensating for my strafing to shoot back…

Instead what’s happening is the slowdown is completely throwing me off, where I expect to be further away, and I overcompensate shooting back. It’s not something that I probably couldn’t get used to, but it’s also not making me feel too fuzzy.

(DarkangelUK) #12

It never really bothered me until tonight where it just suddenly really started annoying me. On Whitechapel on offence 2nd stage (btw I think the defence spawn is too close on the 2nd stage in the chapel), I’d grab the objective and a turret/enemy would get the 1st bullet in and i’d just get stuck still… I landed beside a turret and when it shot I was literally glued to the spot.