Side Objectives - your ideas.

(YouAreGood) #1

While it’s good to have something alternative to do, side objectives often have irritating impact on the enemy team. Let’s look at the capturable-spawn example. In old ET only 2 classes were capable of “capturing” enemy spawn: CvOps and Engineer, what’s more - both used different ways of doing that, tactically: dynamite gives enemies almost 30 sec to react, while only CvOps was capable of almost instant spawn-“capture”. While everyone can - at no class-choice costs - destroy enemy spawn, there seems to be a little bit too much of that business around. Losing the spawn makes ppl angry, capture-loss-capture-loss… can go on forever… Is that fun? Well somewhat. Yet old ET way was, in my opinion, better.

From the spawn forth to the objective - side objective: which calls you? What side objectives would you like to see in the Unannounced? What would their impact on the gameplay be?

enjoy your creativity! And have a good day.

(tokamak) #2

Forward spawns are the most enjoyable things to fight over in both ET games. The way it disrupts a wave of attackers and gives defenders some time to catch a breath and prepare again is so substantial that I get more emotional over forward spawns than over main objectives.

(YouAreGood) #3

Which way do you prefer? ET or ETQW style of “capturing” the enemy spawn?

My all-time favourite was water pump: when constructed - additional path to the main objective was slowly drying and after destroying it water was, also slowly, coming back - makin’ the passage unusable again.

(montheponies) #4

I dont think i have a favourite method, as it’s really down to the map design - i would go back to flag capture forward spawns rather than having to have command posts captured.

Some maps simply suit permanent alternative routes, via eng dyna and/or flag capture forward spawns. Always good when this adds more than just a straightforward boost to the offensive team - couple of examples come to mind;

On Frostbite blowing the wall gave an alternative route, but also made it far easier for axis to get to the tower. For competition most times you would leave the wall - if you wanted to go that route you boosted someone over.
On Tram blowing the main doc door was considered bad form, unless you had taken care of the second stage axis lower door, as they would spawn back making that secondary objective a far harder proposition. Never played in competition, but a good example of where even in public play this was understood.

(tokamak) #5

[QUOTE=YouAreGood;409053]Which way do you prefer? ET or ETQW style of “capturing” the enemy spawn?

My all-time favourite was water pump: when constructed - additional path to the main objective was slowly drying and after destroying it water was, also slowly, coming back - makin’ the passage unusable again.[/QUOTE]

That’s a ridiculously difficult question. I love the cat-mouse game between coverts and engineers in W:ET but I also liked how ETQW involved everything in this. The trick was to invest minimally in being a threat to that spawn, making them overcompensate and weaken their defenses at the objective.

(Brad555) #6

I am totally agree with tokamak.

(Dysfunkshion) #7

Alternative routes are a must imo. I’m talking about constructable/destructable alternatives like the water pump or a ladder or whatever.
However, there should always be one straight route open at all times. (I never liked Battery because of this reason. You’d either need a cov ops with a suit to backdoor or to construct the ramp in a completely unfavorable position.)

Oasis, Fueldump and to a lesser extend Goldrush were great maps in this regard.
The attackers could chose to split between both routes or to go with the entire team through one. This opened gameplay options.
On the other side, the defenders also had to make a decision. Try to defend 2 routes and perhaps getting outflanked. Or push back one route with the danger of leaving a hole in the defense on the other side.

(Dope) #8

Please, dont make stupid obj like “Build gmpg” or “Destroy Cage” in ETQW its went to idiotism, some players think that build a new tower is a obj of all map.

(NeoRussia) #9

Destroy the secondary generator to turn off the power, letting loose the zombie hoard. Capture the supply train to open up the shock rifle, flack cannon, and double damage spawns for your team.

(Mustang) #10

A forward spawn on as many maps as possible, for some designs or ideas it might not be possible, but as many as possible.

Satchel charges vs quick repair is always good fun.

Also not really secondary objectives but I like it when they’re two main objectives that can be completed in any order and you have to defend against both at the same time.

(Kendle) #11

I like the idea of side objectives, they give a certain depth to the game and offer additional tactical choices, but going back to the early days of ET they were sometimes a hindrance, people doing things that didn’t need to be done just to get the points. As long as the side objective offers an advantage to one team, and / or a disadvantage to the other, then great, but don’t stick stuff in there that’s going to sidetrack people from doing what really needs to get done.

(KlausMorgenholz) #12

You got it just right.

(DarkKnightDK) #13

Side objectives rewards EXP and weapons?? Why not? :slight_smile: