Various questions

(ARES) #1

I have a few various questions and annotations.

1. Will there be a client and server patch after patch 1.0.2 (there are still a lot of bugs I think)?
  2. Are there any ‘secrets’? I mean like in Quake 3 Team Arena where you can jump to places (if you know the trick) which are normally hard to reach. Or other secrets or easter eggs.
  3. I read in this forum about a E.T. Pro version. What is that? Official?
  4. Will there be a official map addon for E.T.? The quality of amateur maps is poor in my eyes.
  5. Why did you give this game away for free? I would rather pay in order to get all the offical map addons and bug fixes.
  6. Why does the speaker don’t say ‘Tank repaired! Use grenades, use panzerfausts!’? He used to say that on fueldump map.
  7. On a map I only once heard the speaker read the text of the map description. Very strange because it happened only once and never again.
  8. What is the highest rank? Three Star General? Or even President?
  9. Why idsoftware disliked the single player part of E.T.? Who created the single player part? Splash Damage?
  10. Its frustrating when everyone rushes out of tiny doors and everyone blocks each other. Why do you make players angry with that map design (tiny doors)?
  11. On fueldump there is are too stones. When I go between them I am pinned. The same happened once at Oasis map on a different place.
  12. Sometimes if I am in water I hardly can move forward. Very strange.
  13. Often I have problems to connect to a server. Then I must restart E.T. which is not nice.
  14. If someone plays to become a General, then he is not so good for his team because then he plays a little bit too egoistic. But he gets rewarded with promotion for his selfish tactics (like in real life sometimes). I see people too much trying to hunt for XP and rank which harms the team. So I think the incentives are too many or are not well enough balanced in order to have a really good teamplay.
  15. Its not logical that if a covert ops uses the Adrenaline needle he loses his uniform.
  16. I don’t agree to treat non voters as if they voted NO.
  17. Why many game magazines didn’t review Enemy Territory? Because its free? Wouldn’t be logical in my eyes.

The game is very good in my eyes, although you might have a differnt impression because of my questions and annotations.

(^POTATO) #2

1- Lets hope so.
2- Im not quite sure, yes there are places you can jump if you are good but i dont think they are secrets.
3- ET Pro is a mod made by bani- http://bani.anime.net/etpro/ Its a very good mod IMO.
4- Probably not.
5- I hope youre not complaining about this!
6- It does say “The Allies have repaired the tank!”.
7- That was probably a shrub (another mod) server, using the command !news. You can hear it if you click the lil play button in limbo.
8- 3 Star General.
9- I cant answer that.
10- Or that.
11- Yeah you can get stuck in a lot of places if you try hard enuff.
12- That is strange.
13- Thats not very nice either.
14- Yep… look back a few pages and you will probably find 10 different topics about this.
15- Does this happen? Ive never been covie with a needle before.
16- They arent really considered a no, but I know what you mean.
17- Because its not really a complete game.

(ARES) #3

Let me ask you a few qustions back:

1. What are these places you mean? In Quake 3 TA everbody wondered “how did he come up there”. I mean such “secrets” and where they are located.
  2. But formerly the speaker said additionally “use grenades, use panzerfausts”. This was quite funny. Now I noticed, he doesn’t tell that anymore. Why not?
  3. I didn’t try hard to get stuck. It just happened. For example I tried to hide between the 2 stones on fueldump map.
  4. Yes, this happens all the time I use the needle as covert ops.
  5. Nearly no game comes out “complete”. The publishers force the team to finalize it so that some things are not finished and come later as a free “Addon”. But still these games are reviewed. Counter Strike was reviewed although at that time it was a free and unfinished game (still evolving).

(Sauron|EFG) #4
  1. Wouldn’t be secrets if we told you. :smiley: (Just download some trick jump movies if you’re curious, you’ll find some at sweRtcw.com or by searching this forum.)
  2. There are several high quality custom maps, only problem is finding good servers to play them on.
  3. That’s got to be one of the stupid Shrub mod options.

(^POTATO) #5
  1. Yes BUT CS was released as an “expansion pack”. If you go to retail stores you can find it. But do you find ET? Nope. Oh and PC Gamer did review ET, but by the looks of the review they probably didnt even play the game, just looked at the pictures.

2. Yeah there are hundreds (maybe a little bit of an exageration) of spots to get stuck. Thats just something you get with the Q3 engine.

(ARES) #6

Potato:
11. I didn’t stuck anywhere on any map of Quake 3 Team Arena or RtCW. This is of course just a minor problem.

(ARES) #7

One of the questions which I am interested most in the answer is No. 9:

1. Why idsoftware disliked the single player part of E.T.? Who created the single player part? Splash Damage?

Maybe someone of Splash Damage could tell something about this. I’m just curious.

It appears strange to me that the Single Player part was obviously thrown away.

The Single Player part of RtCW was one of the best in gaming history to me.

(Fusen) #8

number 9 has already been answered in other posts use search function to find it out and the thing about getting killed even though your just walking along is just a bug that you have to live with it doesnt happen much though unless you keep going to the same place, also happens on oasis if you come out of the allies command post room and turn left you can die just walking through the rock gap if you walk in the wrong place … so just learn where not to stand or walk

Medical Marijuana Dispensary

(Sauron|EFG) #9

A simple Google search (or even a search in these forums) would have told you that Mad Doc and SD developed the SP part.

I’m pretty sure this is as much official information as you’re gonna get on the subject (read Wils’ post):
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=746&

(ARES) #10

Thanks for the link to the trick jump videos! I practiced most of them and can use it now.

I think Splash Damage should have made the whole Addon, not just the Multiplayer. Maybe Idsoftware didn’t know at that time that Splash Damage is so good. Besides that I think it is bad do let one company do one part of a game and another company do another part of the game. A single company should do the complete addon.

A problem I forgot to tell: When the game crashes and I start it again, then the screen resolution is set back to 800 x 600. Can I change it so that this doesn’t happen?

For example the game crashes when I write /devmap oasis or /map oasis. It loads the map but crashes then immediately afterwards.

(^POTATO) #11

Use the search button for the crashing problem. There are probably hundreds of posts about crashing. And to fix that resolution thing, put this in your autoexec.cfg file (located in your ET Main folder)
r_mode 8

8 is 1024 x 1280

(ARES) #12

Your suggetion with Search button doesn’t help me anything.

Please just tell me why ET crashes when I type \devmap osasis ? Am I doing something wrong? If yes, what? The game crashes because of this command.

(SCDS_reyalP) #13

No, the game crashes because you have too many .pk3 files in your etmain folder.

This is a longstanding bug leftover from RTCW.
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4984&highlight=delete+pk3
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4917&highlight=delete+pk3
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4661&highlight=delete+pk3
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3942&highlight=delete+pk3
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=862&highlight=delete+pk3
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5911&highlight=delete+pk3

etc.

(ARES) #14

I hope they will fix that bug.

Thats why I said, I rather payed money for ET and have the company fixing the bugs properly instead of having a free game and only some bugs are beeing fixed.

(Codman) #15

There are some companies, where you pay the full price for a game, and still get nothing in return from the developers. :wink:

So give SD a bit time, hopefully they won’t forget about us …