Gun sound, and explosion sounds, overall: First impression

(Loffy) #1

Sound is good, e.g. guns, and explosions. Muffled/cosy (no sharp frequencies), yet naturalistic (realistic). It is also even, i.e. not over-dynamic, and overall pleasant. One can enjoy this sound-scape for a long time without getting tired or irritated.

(SockDog) #2

I like the way tunnels echo.

(amazinglarry) #3

Yeah I was playing a few minutes ago and liked how at one point, a sniper who was a decent distance away shot, and you heard the ‘pop’ instead of the bang because of how far he was. I think I may have stopped and admired it for a second before my head stopped the next shot.

(Locki) #4

Something mentioned on the servers but not here on the forums (Tokamak?) was that footsteps were really loud. I know Fluffy_Gimp had this too, so I’ll ask him this morning if he can reproduce it.

(amazinglarry) #5

I’ve had more than a few instances where I’ve been running in an area by my lonesome, and I’ve turned around in paranoia because I thought I heard somebody walking behind or next to me. I feel like sometimes the footsteps sounds overlap each other (maybe something to do with running then walking then running), but it’d turn out nobody was around at all.

Disclaimer: I played in a lot of 2v2’s last night / tonight so, I was definitely alone.

(Anti) #6

These issues with your own foley sound being off center and too loud are already on the audio team’s radar :slight_smile:

(iwound) #7

re explosions, i think the air strike happens a bit quick for me. i’d prefer it to last a little longer for more effect. its more of a bang,bang,bang. i suppose, is it gun-fire? or explosions from aircraft. anyway more, bigger, louder is always better. more smoke, more debris. limbs etc

(Thundermuffin) #8

There really doesn’t need to be limbs or a lot of debris, in my opinion. It may make the game look more mature and edgy, but this type of game doesn’t need to be bogged down by useless visuals like that. Keep the game visually simple and let modders patch in all the “high quality gore mods.”

I agree that there needs to be a louder sound and a sound that lets you know that the airstrike grenade has exploded like in ET:QW (plus maybe have a visual indicator that it exploded). It’s confusing to the player on whether the grenade detonated and the strike will occur or not; this wasn’t an issue at all in ET:QW and adding a vsay with someone saying “strike inbound” or “can’t see the grenade, mate” would help out.

(DarkangelUK) #9

I like the RtCW airstrike, the smoke canister was a good visual indication of the impending doom and the explosion progression was quite nice (though probably is the same pace as DB but over a longer distance). Half the time I don’t know one is incoming, it’s like a ninjairstrike.

(stealth6) #10

[QUOTE=Thundermuffin;409376]There really doesn’t need to be limbs or a lot of debris, in my opinion. It may make the game look more mature and edgy, but this type of game doesn’t need to be bogged down by useless visuals like that. Keep the game visually simple and let modders patch in all the “high quality gore mods.”

I agree that there needs to be a louder sound and a sound that lets you know that the airstrike grenade has exploded like in ET:QW (plus maybe have a visual indicator that it exploded). It’s confusing to the player on whether the grenade detonated and the strike will occur or not; this wasn’t an issue at all in ET:QW and adding a vsay with someone saying “strike inbound” or “can’t see the grenade, mate” would help out.[/QUOTE]

I can understand that it’s not strictly necessary and for a broad audience should be avoided, but doesn’t it give you an awesome feeling to watch pieces of your enemy flying everywhere thanks to the grenade you neatly placed at his feet?

I’d prefer if there was just an option - gore yes/no

(Thundermuffin) #11

I can admit it looks neat, and I really appreciate the art, coding, etc., that went into it; however, I’ve never felt that gibs add anything to my gameplay experience, but I have felt that they seem to detract from it sometimes. TF2, for example, has insane gibs that fit the art style, but, as someone who played soldier for years, I never found a reason to have them on. All they did was detract from my view of my enemies and the map itself, but I’m sure a lot of people like that. I’ll admit I’m a very competitive minded person who just wants the game to work and could careless about the actual look of the game.

(Humate) #12

Would like it if the enemy had its own footstep sound.
If thats already the case then I apologise for being deaf /cough

(amazinglarry) #13

[QUOTE=Humate;409423]Would like it if the enemy had its own footstep sound.
If thats already the case then I apologise for being deaf /cough[/QUOTE]

Yeah from what I hear, it’s something they’re definitely working on. lol I mentioned something about me walking around in a tunnel by myself and doing 360’s thinking somebody was around… it was just me.

*Edit… well, I don’t know if they’ll end up getting their own… but it should be more distinctive…

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #14

Sound Feedback

Overall, I like the weapon sounds. Specifically, I like the reverb and echo effects that have been applied. The weapon sounds don’t fatigue the ears much. They also complement the game style as well in that the movement in the game is a faster paced and old school so you don’t have a contrast between the movement and the sounds. The gun sounds are very similar to Brink sounds. Maybe they ARE Brink sounds, I’m not sure. Maybe they are placeholders. /shrug.

I do have the following issues though:
1)When firing automatic weapons, they often make 2 or 3 sounds for firing one round. The second or third sounds don’t sound like echoes either. It’s more like there is only one sound loop which is the sound for 2-3 rounds being popped off. This sound issue is confusing and as annoying to me as the sound bug in the Doom 3 engine.

2)No sound when taking damage from the green gas (WIP?)

3)As I mentioned, I like the sounds overall, but the automatic weapons mostly occupy the same frequencies and mostly sound the same. There isn’t much distinction between the medic, field ops, engie 2, and soldier 1’s primary weapons.

4)Soldier 1 heavy MG could have a bit more bass. It doesn’t say to me “watch out, this guy’s firing a heavy weapon.” I like the new soldier’s heavy weapon sound A LOT.

5)The engineer shotgun has a strange phaser/chorus sound that I think sounds odd. Additionally, for me there is a delay after I press mouse1 and before I see the firing animation for this weapon.

6)Shooting indoors sounds exactly the same as firing outdoors. Is it possible to apply different reverb and echo effects to indoor areas or is it all in the sound file already?

7)I’m not sure if dropping health and ammo packs could be improved with sound to let teammates know you have dropped supplies behind them.

8)On one map there is a sound of two guys yelling back and forth inside a building. I can’t find the location right now. It sounds like it was recorded in a studio and effects were added to it. It’s very artificial. I’m not sure if this is just place holder, but it could be improved.

9)I know the city is abandoned, but more world unobtrusive world sounds could definitely improve the atmosphere of the maps. WIP?

(Humate) #15

It uses the same HDR(high dynamic range) sound system that Dice use in their games, which was also used in Brink.

If youre interested…

Link

(EnderWiggin.DA.) #16

Humate, thanks for the link.

(Billy_Hologram) #17

Hey, I’m the Audio Lead on Dirty Bomb at SD.

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write up your feedback, it is all appreciated!