How to unlock vehicle framerate

(opt_fr) #1

Hello there,

Is it possible to remove the framerate cap when you are in a vehicle, even if the global fps are unlocked ?

When you drive a vehicle, the framerate looks slower, having like 24-29 fps even if the framerate number is 120 on my screen, It would be nice to drive with more fps.

Thanx

(murka) #2

There is no specific cap to framerate when driving a vehicle and is more likely something that is causing your pc a lot more load. One thing that might cause that is soft particles on older cards. I remember that took my old card down to 7-8fps.

(Donnovan) #3

I believe opt_fr is right.

In vehicles, fps syncs with engine rate that is 30 fps.

Show_fps does not show 30 but the feeling is of 30 fps.

(opt_fr) #4

Thanks for your answer Murka, I’ve tried the following settings, with my fast computer :

• disable vehicle cockpits
  • all advanced graphics set to Low
  • either driving or gunner seat

but FPS in vehicle won’t be as smooth as on foot.
I think it is a cap or something like that because the fps are constant in vehicle ~30 FPS (from what is can see, which is not that the com_showFPS option shows)

(Rex) #5

Post your PC specs please.

(opt_fr) #6

Here is it :

(Rex) #7

[QUOTE=opt_fr;408615]Here is it :
[/QUOTE]

With that PC you shouldn’t have any problems at all with your frame rate. No matter in or outside of a vehicle.
So how many fps do you get by foot and how many do you see (with com_showFPS) when you are driving in a vehicle?

(opt_fr) #8

Com_showFPS says 121 for both

Here are my cvars for fps

seta com_unlockFPS "1"
seta com_unlock_timingMethod "1"
seta com_unlock_maxFPS 120

(Ive tried the value 0 for timingMethod, but that hasn’t helped : about 250-444 for both)

(Rex) #9

As you got a fast PC you should really play with timingMethod “0” to unlock max fps rates.
What could help maybe: seta com_videoRam “1536” (write instead of “1536” the video ram of your graphics card)

timingMethod should actually fix your problem. You should get around 400-450 frames and even if it drops it will go down to 180-250 perhaps.
If the problem still remains online, test it first offline against bots.

(opt_fr) #10

Thanks you Rex for the com_videoRam optimization, didn’t knew this. However after trying I will put back value “1” to timing method (sadly I don’t see any difference between 120 and 400+ fps, so perhaps value 1 helps for less power consumption / heating).

(Donnovan) #11

What’s the problem???

Great murka can’t goes wrong?

I really want to know how to have all this credit even when i an wrong.

Hope he does not says “**** tastes well” in a bad day.

I’m saying nothing about one intelligence… but may be about memory…

Time passes, new games comes… its ok! :slight_smile:

(Rex) #12

I highly recommend timingMethod “0” with your PC. As there is a rule in every game: the more fps the better.
Sorry for the expression, but you have to be blind not to see the difference between higher and lower fps rates. There is a huge difference between 120 and 450fps.
I would say you give it a try for at least 1 day on all pub servers. :wink: It will be uncommon at the beginning, but you just need to test it for a while.

Wait, wait you bought a gaming rig, but you worry about power consumption and heating? Are you serious? :smiley:

(opt_fr) #13

Sorry Donnovan, I started posting my reply while doing some tests with the game after reading Murka’s post, and didn’t see your reply meanwhile. After re-reading the discussion indeed, I look as if I ignore your reply, my apologies for that.

[QUOTE=Donnovan;408612]I believe opt_fr is right.

In vehicles, fps syncs with engine rate that is 30 fps.

Show_fps does not show 30 but the feeling is of 30 fps.[/QUOTE]
I couldn’t have said it better.
Thank you too Don for sharing your experience, that is greatly appreciated!!

(opt_fr) #14

I will give it a try Rex and test it as you said for a few days, thanks for your tips I’ll keep you up-to-date on my feedback on this next week.

(murka) #15

Can you somehow confirm that it is a near-30 fps fixed value or rather some hiccups after a few frames that makes it seem so yet the average is still high. Fraps might work and shouldn’t stress your rig. Make it record at 60fps and see if you spot any anomalies such as frequent duplicate frames.
The other option would be to write a hook for glFinish and make it write the frames out, but that could take some time.

(Donnovan) #16

Sorry again, i dont wanted to be hud.

But the easyiest way to confirm that is remember old topics about that, with a splash damage person sayin it is stuck to game tics inside vehicles.

I have the intelligence of the weak, i have good memory (16GB)…

If i remember correctly, vehicles are not interpolated, this is why they moves a little choopy for persons outside it. So people inside it for sure will need to have interpolation off, this means stuck in 30 fps.

… please believe meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I’M AMAZING! WIN WIN! For $ 1.99.

(murka) #17

All animations are indeed 30hz but i haven’t seen a post about that including vehicle position so I’ll confirm if that’s the case when i get home on Monday.

(Donnovan) #18

Yeah, all animations are 30hz, but all of then are interpolated to the current fps (60, 56, 432, whatever)… except vehicles animation that are not interpolated.

If you was in interpolated state inside a vehicle that is not interpolated, you will not be in sync with the vehicle, you will see the vehicle cockpit shaking, player butt will “dance” in vehicle chair. So player need to be with interpolation off when inside vehicle.

You will go into game code just to get the answers? This is ok for a straight* person you are, but… a little sad you have the time to do it.

*Edit: sorry, the word was “straight”, not “concise”.

(.Chris.) #19

How much time did you spend making all your maps?

(Donnovan) #20

But this information about vehicles is that important?