how hard is it to build new campaigns ?

(edxot) #1

i started this thread to ask how dificult it would be to redesign campaigns ?

is it possible to make campaigns of 4 maps ? picked ramdomly ?

OBS: why 4 ? why not 5 or 6 ? well, i am a fan of this sentence " if you like it, dont ruin it" (translated form other language). 4 maps would make it easier for people to get the highest class upgrades, while enforcing 1 team could not stay stacked for too long.

(Runeforce) #2

Good news for you! Not very hard!!

And you can tweak a LOT of settings, to your hearths content (but not on ranked servers!)

have a look at susefreaks guide: http://bravehardt.com/TAW/Quake_Wars/Susefreak/Public_Files/Custom_Campaign_creation.rtf

I also threw it up on a google server (sorry, but I couldn’t figure out the encoding): https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1ybgVyEQHOKJyGzY5eE3ku-H-DyviWQs_kKyZh3-qmF8

(DrFunkenstein) #3

[QUOTE=edxot;408006]i started this thread to ask how dificult it would be to redesign campaigns ?

is it possible to make campaigns of 4 maps ? picked ramdomly ?

OBS: why 4 ? why not 5 or 6 ? well, i am a fan of this sentence " if you like it, dont ruin it" (translated form other language). 4 maps would make it easier for people to get the highest class upgrades, while enforcing 1 team could not stay stacked for too long.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be an honest question and I’m gonna answer it to the best of my knowledge, but before I go any further I’d like to introduce 2 concepts:

1. Things are the way they are;
  2. Things might not be the way you would like them to be.

There’s a fundamental difference between the two and a failure to understand that difference usually results in an endless repeat of all the things that have been said before about a particular subject.

(This is certainly not directed at you, Edxot. Like I said, it seemed to be a genuine question.)

With that out of the way: you definitely have a lot of freedom when defining a campaign in this game. The Villa XP Save server is running one single campaign with a ridiculous number of maps in it. I don’t remember the exact number but it was 1000+. That’s just an example.

There is a restriction though, you can only do that type of thing on an unranked server. If you run a ranked server, you are stuck with the stock maps and stock campaigns. The only thing you can do is delete an entire campaign from the rotation.

I wish things would have been different but they aren’t.

Dr. Funkenstein

(edxot) #4

i knew it would not be ranked.

but rank does not mean anything these days.

unless you have some good reason for ranked being better than unranked … ?

(Runeforce) #5

Reasons that ranked servers are “better” are: less hassle for the clients. You know what you get (maps, rotations and rules) and no additional downloads. Many players love archivements; those can only be obtained on ranked. And there are less confusion about connecting to a server.

(Kl3ppy) #6

Its very easy, but i wont play it on ranked servers.

(Rex) #7

I also wouldn’t play there, because they won’t be ranked.

(DrFunkenstein) #8

[QUOTE=edxot;408017]i knew it would not be ranked.

but rank does not mean anything these days.

unless you have some good reason for ranked being better than unranked … ?[/QUOTE]

Ranked servers are “better” because they see more games. That’s about the only reason I can come up with.

Dr. Funkenstein

(Dthy) #9

I need ranked so I can stroke my e-peen.

(edxot) #10

If i remember correctly, initial duration for maps was 30 minutes. Later, this time has been reduced to 20 min.

The amount of xp you get for doing something has remained unchanged. It seems to me that the xp per minute you could get, was similar (or at least they tried to make it similar) to what was possible in wolfenstein:enemy territory. And so campaigns here were 90 minutes too.

My point: by reducing maps duration, and not increasing the xp, they reduced the possibility of getting higher awards. So, in my opinion, one thing that could fix this problem, would be to mix the 12 maps in 3 campaigns of 4 maps. Allowing campaigns to be 80 minutes long.

(taw_m0nsta) #11

Like Runeforce said it isn’t rocket sience but there are some map+campaign combinations which arn’t working well together (custom maps ofcourse). It should be possible to make a campaign with 20+ maps, why not. If you plan to play the custom campaign within the QWTA mod then there is a player proficiency file you can include to the campaign which allows you to lowerdown or higherup the standards of getting your bonus rewards. Just be care full with setting it all to zero, keep some xp amount between al rewards because otherwise the game plays the reward sound all at once (sound x 15+) which is a disaster for your ear. If you really really want to unlock all reward bonus stuff at once from then concider looking up the reward bonus sound packed within your new campaign with a sound thats just playing of silence. Changing the time duration for a map whole campaign can be set to any time within the Admin screen if you have admin or moderator acces to a server. And (if i am correct…) the map duration can also be set by a server config file so no manual stuff has to be done when firing up the server.

(edxot) #12

If there is a similar way to config campaigns in vanilla, I believe it would be a good ideia to reduce thresholds for bonus rewards. Reducing it to 2/3 of the original values would keep the original game design.

Even easier than changing number of maps per campaign.

(taw_m0nsta) #13

If I am correct edxot, it is required for playing anything custom within a mod. So I just suppose you want this custom map rotation in Promod…
This is how the file looks from QWTA. You can try to remove the qwta bits and see what happends (unless you wanna play within QWTA ofcourse).

campaignname/def/proficiency.def

// ======================================================================

proficiencyType fieldops {
name “fieldops”
stat_name “fieldops”

level 12
level 24
level 48
level 96

qwtalevel 12
qwtalevel 24
qwtalevel 48