Bachelor Thesis: Need your help

(Eizdieler) #1

Hi,

I´m a game-design student and need your help. I´d need you to rate some game elements of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
The data will be handled anonymous completely.
How would you rate the following game-elements of Wolfenstein:ET, from 1 (very bad) to 5 (very good) points:

Graphics
Audio
Controls
Atmosphere
UI

Weapon/Item Variety
Tactical Level (how much tactic and strategy is needed to succeed ?)
Teamplay Experience (do you feel like you can only survive in a team ?)
Game Overview/Leveldesign (Mini-map and Leveldesign in general)
Overall Game Experience

Here is an example:

Graphics: 5
Audio: 4
Controls: 5
Atmosphere: 4
UI: 3

Weapon/Item Variety: 4
Tactical Level: 5
Teamplay Experience: 3
Game Overview/Leveldesign:4
Overall Game Experience: 5

I´m happy for every single post in here :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot in advance !

(BackSnip3) #2

Hi, here’s what I’d say:

Graphics: 3
Atmosphere: 5

Teamplay Experience: 4
Game Overview/Leveldesign: 5

(Mateos) #3

Well, count BackSnipe twice for me :slight_smile: Same ratings

(Eizdieler) #4

[QUOTE=BackSnip3;407551]Hi, here’s what I’d say:

Overall Game Experience: 5[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot ! Plz continue, need 18 more ratings :slight_smile:

(rorgoroth) #5

Audio: 3
UI: 4

Teamplay Experience: 2
Overall Game Experience: 1

//note
Teamplay Experience & Overall Game Experience I base on the majority of my online experiences, manage to find a decent server and those become an easy 5 though :slight_smile:

(Mateos) #6

Could you explain your audio? :slight_smile: I’m curious, since you have several and various atmosphere sounds, foot steps, vocal menu etc?

OK with the //note. If you really search one with 5, PM me :slight_smile:

(rorgoroth) #7

Well, I’m not sure if my reason should make it a 3, the audio quality for me is a 5 but the phrases are a little repetitive, there are only a few (literally 3 for most iirc?) variations of phrases, really I would like some more variations or each class having it’s own type of accents/way of speaking, with 2-3 little mix ups to make it more interesting rather then everyone sounding the exact same no-matter what they say.

For example I imagine a soldier class or engineer would sound very rough, manly and loud, a medic would sound more energetic and a covert would sound fairly well-spoken but quiet and maybe the same for field op. It would make the “audio” of the game much better for me, anyway.

As for the server, I am okay atm, I play some etc with a friend and found a nice little “nodownload” server playing only stock maps and not adren or other bs :cool:

(stealth6) #8

Are the scores compared to modern games or games when W:ET was released?

(neks) #9

Graphics: 2
It would be 4 in we were still in 2003 but by today’s standards, it’s quite below average, let’s be honest. However it has the advantage of being very tweakable (to an extent)

Sound quality is OK, you’re not overwhelmed by explosion sounds and music during the game so that’s good

There is nothing I wish I could do differently

This is a tough one because it also depends which map you’re playing. Some maps really nails the ambiance by offering locations and objectives inspired by real events so it makes it awesome. A map like Millenium Falcon doesn’t quite achieve it on the other hand.

Simple and effective.

Weapon/Item Variety: 3
Just right

Between 2 teams of same strength, the winner is the one that is more coordinated

Teamplay is at its best when there everybody has no xp

Again it depends on the maps.

best game ever

(Destroy666) #10

Graphics: 2 (comparing to games now)
UI: 1 (not really userfriendly, no translations, also main menu shouldn’t be customisable by pk3s)

Weapon/Item Variety: 4/5 (depends if you mean only stock game or also mods)
Tactical Level: 5 (mod and server depending but that’s if rating how the game should look)
Teamplay Experience: 5 (mod and server depending but that’s if rating how the game should look)

(Dragonji) #11

Graphics: 2 // bad optimizations
Audio: 3 // could be more but I just feel I miss something in game sounds + not properly working sound on Linux
UI: 1 // most of the people should know why

Teamplay Experience: 5

(Mateos) #12

You know it’s about ETmain and about when it was released. The arguments don’t justify few low ratings :rolleyes:

(Eizdieler) #13

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it !!!

For the graphics argument: Some games are good, though the graphics are just ugly. Just rate it after your personal opinion. Some people say graphics are important, some say they are not. :slight_smile:

(Dragonji) #14

Doesn’t change the fact that UI and rendering engine are written really poorly. ET isn’t really so old game. If we were talking about Mario Bros or something even older, we could say not many optimization techniques were known at that time for example. But we are talking about a game that was released in 2003. I believe few parts of W:ET could be programmed in much better way.

(Mateos) #15

If you’re a programmer I guess; If not:
http://fabiensanglard.net/quake3/index.php

But for the UI, if you mean the fact it can be easily changed… I think here it’s how good it is. And I think, since you can easily naviguate in menus, you have a compass, health/gun/ammo display, objectives in Limbo with a map on which you see the exact location of objectives… My 2 cent.

(ETJump-Zero) #16

[QUOTE=Mateos;407624]If you’re a programmer I guess; If not:
http://fabiensanglard.net/quake3/index.php

But for the UI, if you mean the fact it can be easily changed… I think here it’s how good it is. And I think, since you can easily naviguate in menus, you have a compass, health/gun/ammo display, objectives in Limbo with a map on which you see the exact location of objectives… My 2 cent.[/QUOTE]

ET was released 4 years after quake 3, I believe in those 4 years something could’ve been done to the rendering. Also ET engine broke certain stuff that was in Quake 3.

(Mateos) #17

So make a new engine just for an add-on? ^^’ Because that’s it, if you change the rendering you can unlock a wage on iD Software for programmers to recode the thingy and release a iDTech 3.5, and it costs money… That’s why nowadays a fix can wait a “next year 2014 version”.

(Sit) #18

Graphics: 4
UI: 4

:smiley:

(acQu) #19

Graphics: 4 (although i am tempted to give a 5 here just for the playermodels, which look incredibly funny, these old graphics look just charming, only lighning could be improved a bit, but you can hide all these flaws by clever tricks in the mapeditor)
Audio: 4 (sometimes sounds cause lagging, low quality mainly, but this really does not fall into account if you are newbie)
Controls: 5 (totally configurable, no overfunctionality, everything is reachable pretty easy if you have the right bindings)
Atmosphere: 4 (hm, i mainly found that game funny, so no chilling atmosphere or anything, i also found the starting music always a hell of misplaced, it should be benny hill or smething … :D)
UI: 2 (the problem has already been mentioned, the ui is abused by ****ing murdering bad people psychoapths …)

Weapon/Item Variety: 3 (hm, compared to todays games, this is a flaw imho, mods add some weapons, but this is also really not enough imho. on the other hand, i am sure there were no 5 thousand weapons involved in WW2 if you want to keep it realistic)
Tactical Level: 5 (corresponds also to teamplay)
Teamplay Experience: 5 (the classbased gameplay is exactly why this gets a 5, this is not topped still today by most modern games)
Game Overview/Leveldesign: 4 (nice, everything is marked, you have big commandmaps and stuff, the leveldesign is also great (part of the leveldesign i think (not sure) was developed by the guy who had developed dust for counterstrike))
Overall Game Experience: 5 (mainly because it is/was funny as hell, i had probably two years of constant great fun with this game, the best aspect is the troll aspect, you can do so many great things and annoy people :smiley: e.g. satchel cancel, making stupid moves, throwing the smokes, door-blocking, … there must be more :D)

(acQu) #20

Graphics: 4 (although i am tempted to give a 5 here just for the playermodels, which look incredibly funny, these old graphics look just charming, only lighning could be improved a bit, but you can hide all these flaws by clever tricks in the mapeditor)
Audio: 4 (sometimes sounds cause lagging, low quality mainly, but this really does not fall into account if you are newbie)
Controls: 5 (totally configurable, no overfunctionality, everything is reachable pretty easy if you have the right bindings)
Atmosphere: 4 (hm, i mainly found that game funny, so no chilling atmosphere or anything, i also found the starting music always a hell of misplaced, it should be benny hill or smething … :D)
UI: 2 (the problem has already been mentioned, the ui is abused by ****ing murdering bad people psychoapths …)

Weapon/Item Variety: 3 (hm, compared to todays games, this is a flaw imho, mods add some weapons, but this is also really not enough imho. on the other hand, i am sure there were no 5 thousand weapons involved in WW2 if you want to keep it realistic, almost no items except ammo, health and the weapons)
Tactical Level: 5 (corresponds also to teamplay)
Teamplay Experience: 5 (the classbased gameplay is exactly why this gets a 5, this is not topped still today by most modern games)
Game Overview/Leveldesign: 4 (nice, everything is marked, you have big commandmaps and stuff, the leveldesign is also great (part of the leveldesign i think (not sure) was developed by the guy who had developed dust for counterstrike))
Overall Game Experience: 5 (mainly because it is/was funny as hell, i had probably two years of constant great fun with this game, the best aspect is the troll aspect, you can do so many great things and annoy people :smiley: e.g. satchel cancel, making stupid moves, throwing the smokes, door-blocking, … there must be more :D)