Community Interview: ET.TV Looks Back at QUAKE Wars

(badman) #1

A new blog post has been added:

Community Interview: ET.TV Looks Back at QUAKE Wars

One of the pillars of Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars’ competitive community was the gang behind Enemy Territory TV. Originally started as a match commentary service, ET.TV soon turned into the go-to destination for tournament coverage, including live streaming, shoutcasting, and a healthy video on demand library.

With Quake Wars enjoying its 5th anniversary this week, we caught up with two of the guys behind ET.TV, Mattc0m and stlava, to reflect on their time in the QUAKE Wars community and to see what they’ve been up to since
Continue reading…

(Rex) #2

Awesome! Thanks for the news. :slight_smile:

(Dthy) #3

Makes me wish I discovered the game earlier so I could of been in the comp scene. :frowning: Also makes me want to play now but Uni internet has what can only be described as a “****-tonne” of ports blocked so I can only join two servers. :lesadface:

(Toi) #4

Would like it if SD would get ETQW back up and running, even if they make an ETQW 2! Brink was not a good replacement! We miss ETQW! Lots of us still play but there just isn’t the numbers there used to be because SD hasn’t bothered to update the game anymore :frowning:

(vent666) #5

If only there where more maps!

(Ashog) #6

There were about 20 great custom maps more (see my vids) but u missed them all. Ahahahahah!

(Seanza) #7

Best moment for me was taking a map off mamut.si. It was the only map they had lost in about 18 months. We also held them for 11 mins at 1st objective on Ark. Man, I remember how hard I made everybody practice that first objective.

We beat them on Salvage, btw. One of the greatest FPS maps of all time, imo. 6 minutes and 15 seconds was the time we set, they nearly beat it, it was so close.

I think being the innovator/creator of the “infi rush” in Volcano as well back in the early days of ET:QW comp was a highlight for me. The team were all new to competitive gaming and we had only been together for a few short weeks. We had a match on either ClanBase or QWL against O-zonerz who were one of the most active teams at the time, and their team work was amazing (as well as their individual skill). They absolutely destroyed us with a time of around 4 minutes on Volcano when they attacked, that was when I thought “F*** it, we have nothing to lose, let’s all go infiltrator, teleport over the wall and get into the hack objective and just keep hacking hacking hacking!!” It seemed to catch them by surprise and we beat their time by over a minute (I think). I’m sure we still hold the record on that map as well, btw. Something like 2 minutes and 16 seconds against a team called xD.

Ahhh, the memories.

(Rex) #8

[QUOTE=Seanza;406520]Best moment for me was taking a map off mamut.si. It was the only map they had lost in about 18 months. We also held them for 11 mins at 1st objective on Ark. Man, I remember how hard I made everybody practice that first objective.

We beat them on Salvage, btw. One of the greatest FPS maps of all time, imo. 6 minutes and 15 seconds was the time we set, they nearly beat it, it was so close.

I think being the innovator/creator of the “infi rush” in Volcano as well back in the early days of ET:QW comp was a highlight for me. The team were all new to competitive gaming and we had only been together for a few short weeks. We had a match on either ClanBase or QWL against O-zonerz who were one of the most active teams at the time, and their team work was amazing (as well as their individual skill). They absolutely destroyed us with a time of around 4 minutes on Volcano when they attacked, that was when I thought “F*** it, we have nothing to lose, let’s all go infiltrator, teleport over the wall and get into the hack objective and just keep hacking hacking hacking!!” It seemed to catch them by surprise and we beat their time by over a minute (I think). I’m sure we still hold the record on that map as well, btw. Something like 2 minutes and 16 seconds against a team called xD.

Ahhh, the memories.[/QUOTE]

Do you still have the demo? I am pretty sure we hold the record on lolcano. Demo evidence coming soon…

(Seanza) #9

Nope, it was years ago. I think we also did 1 mins 56 seconds but we never included it as official since it was just a pcw.

(MoonOnAStick) #10

Nice interview, always enjoyed ETTV. Some good ideas for improving the viewer experience too. There’s definitely less need for dedicated TV servers than 5 years ago now that anyone can stream to twitch.tv or wherever. But decent spectator HUDs, match stats and map overviews that people can enjoy from the couch are pretty rare (rewinding would be a killer feature.)

Tribes Ascend certainly put some effort into the spectating features but it’s still awful to watch. The ET formula makes for a better spectacle than many other FPS game types (including CTF) because there’s only one main point of interest at a time. It helps that the duelling lasts a bit longer too.

(iwound) #11

stop it this is cruel, bringing up old memories makes me so sad i miss qw.

(Humate) #12

What would you like to see from Splash Damage to help support the competitive community in the future?

While I probably wont be playing competitively again, its nice this question was asked and its a good sign.

(Donnovan) #13

Custom maps!

(Ashog) #14

fail! If they bring custom maps, those maps won’t be custom anymore :smiley:

YOU should make custom maps, forgot it lol?

And the children were shouting: SDK! SDK! SDK! No rankes servers! No ranked servers! No server and replay limitations for custom content! (and so on and so on for 6 hours non-stop)

(Donnovan) #15

They can do what they want, even release custom maps. Dont forget they are SD.

(Ashog) #16

Well, yeah. They can release a perfectly normal map and call it custom if they want that noone plays it.

(retsy) #17

aww i dont know how i missed this

mattc0m and stlava - whenever someone mentions quakecon or i see it in the news somewhere, and every august my mind goes directly back to 2008. you guys made it memorable for me because i couldnt be there. but i got to feel like i was part of it <3

and SD… congrats on 5 years of awesomeness, i am back playing and remembering just how amazing the game, and the community are. wish you many more years of success and happy

(Virus047) #18

Nice interview. Very enjoyable. Brings back some good memories of the NA ET:QW Comp community. Always loved the guys from ET.TV and always loved there passion and support towards competition and coverage of that. Good stuff.